Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed 144 1.25 extreme max carbide tipped studs. Well priced and have a bend or break warranty for 2 years so I figured I try them out. I skipped my 17 34 and 51st row so I wouldnt need another bag of 24 just to make 153. I went for a little ride on the ice because the snow is pretty much all gone again but what a difference!!! This is my first sled that I stud and now I cant figure out why. Second best mod, my first was the ods clutching. Thanks to everyone who recommended studding in all their posts. I searched alot and read alot and decided so many people put it in their top 3 mods list and I love them.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy :D I've got 170 of the exact same studs waiting to go on my F8. Want to travel to MN and do mine too? na na slaphappy :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
126 Posts
justinator
How do you rate the ods kit on your f6, as far as gas milage smoothness of engagement
and trail cruising. Where did you see the performance gains. Was it worth the 200 plus $.
Thank You. Kevin

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
yep,........i agree its the very first thing i do to every sled i buy.
besides the performance factor, it greatly increases you safety.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah, I can't believe the number of people who trail ride and are not studded. Some will argue that you don't need them and this and that. Seems like a no brainer for safety and performance (except top speed).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 7 2007, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, I can't believe the number of people who trail ride and are not studded. Some will argue that you don't need them and this and that. Seems like a no brainer for safety and performance (except top speed).[/b]
we put studs on 2 out of the 4 sleds and, i dont think there nesassary for trails, i dont really see the use of them, unless you hae icey courners or out on the lake, which i do and they dont bother me, you cant have as much fun with studs as you could without them on a lake that is,

my .02 CENTS

·
Registered
107 Posts
My sleds are studded, if for no other reason than safety. I know, people will say if you slow down a little, that would negate the need for studs. But you don't buy 140 hp sleds to cruise at 25 mph. Face it, most of us get on them from time to time (or a lot more). I want that little extra edge that studs give me. And I'm not talking about driving irresponsibly. Just using the sled to it's potential. Don't care so much about top speed, it's corner to corner I like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just put on 153 Extreme max studs last week. i went with the 1.25 stud. I also had an ODS clutch kit put on. I put 300+ miles on with the clutch kit on early december I did definately notice a big difference in accerleration and quickness. the problem i had was on roads and icy trails i was just spinning the track. So i decided to stud it so i could get all that power to the track and actually see the true gains. I have had no snow to test it in but the trip around the yard was sweet. I aerorated the lawn for spring. I also added 7.5 studboy shaper bars so i can steer that beast. I cant wait to try it in the snow and on a lake.

G

·
I don't know the feeling of coming into a corner and seeing glare ice and no way of stopping man what a rush :Bangin: I think I'll opt for the studs everytime thumbguy well except this year all its doing is scratching the floor in the garage when it falls off the dolly f-in maine and 71 deg on sat :nosnow: this is bsflag

·
Registered
130 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (justinator @ Jan 7 2007, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just installed 144 1.25 extreme max carbide tipped studs. Well priced and have a bend or break warranty for 2 years so I figured I try them out. I skipped my 17 34 and 51st row so I wouldnt need another bag of 24 just to make 153. I went for a little ride on the ice because the snow is pretty much all gone again but what a difference!!! This is my first sled that I stud and now I cant figure out why. Second best mod, my first was the ods clutching. Thanks to everyone who recommended studding in all their posts. I searched alot and read alot and decided so many people put it in their top 3 mods list and I love them.[/b]
Did you notice a loss on the top? What was your first impression when you took it out?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (salley347 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (justinator @ Jan 7 2007, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just installed 144 1.25 extreme max carbide tipped studs. Well priced and have a bend or break warranty for 2 years so I figured I try them out. I skipped my 17 34 and 51st row so I wouldnt need another bag of 24 just to make 153. I went for a little ride on the ice because the snow is pretty much all gone again but what a difference!!! This is my first sled that I stud and now I cant figure out why. Second best mod, my first was the ods clutching. Thanks to everyone who recommended studding in all their posts. I searched alot and read alot and decided so many people put it in their top 3 mods list and I love them.[/b]
Did you notice a loss on the top? What was your first impression when you took it out?
[/b][/quote]
I didnt get to really hold her on my usual WFO stretch. I did see 102 before I let off and I know it still had a little more. I am just a 600 though. My first impression was like I said"holy sh*t!!!" it pulls your arms like crazy!! Anything less than 40mph and its a whole new machine. Before the track would slip and catch a little and slip some more unless I was already cruising when I got on it. Now at lower speeds it just goes. Were supposed to get a little snow this week so hopefully next weekend I can go wfo and see what I get. I will not complain if I loose 5mph though because the traction kicks a**!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
192 1.150 studs and 96 of them are with angle backers,hooks up great,I will give up a little top end to get a kick ass holeshot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 7 2007, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I can't believe the number of people who trail ride and are not studded. Some will argue that you don't need them and this and that. Seems like a no brainer for safety and performance (except top speed).[/b]
we put studs on 2 out of the 4 sleds and, i dont think there nesassary for trails, i dont really see the use of them, unless you hae icey courners or out on the lake, which i do and they dont bother me, you cant have as much fun with studs as you could without them on a lake that is,

my .02 CENTS
[/b][/quote]

After coming so close to kissing a deer that I could reach out and slap that doe on the rear, I said the heck with no studs!!! Next trip to town I made was to the Cat Shop for studs. I will not sacrifice my sled for stupidity. bang your head

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only thing bad about studs is sometimes you have to pay for a permit for the trails. I heard somewhere you can get a ticket for running with them. I guess they don't look at the safety point. I had 144 on my old snopro, they rocked Rockerdude great for the rivers or lakes

·
Banned
488 Posts
Studs are a must up here in the Arctic, plain and simple! Majority of the time you are riding on trail condition or hardpack and I'll be damned if i run into a polar bear and can't take off quick enough because my f'n track is spinnin @ 120mph! ROFL bang your head Therefore i have 162 picks on their way, 54 single and 54 double backers. If that deosn't sound like a safety issue....then I dunno

·
Registered
514 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Jan 7 2007, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 7 2007, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my .02 CENTS
[/b][/quote]

The iced out corners here in WI can be horible, also stoping fast because of a poorly marked corner on the otherside of a hill or any other freak situation has had me sold on studs for a long time. Maybe I ride a little faster then you but all it takes is one time that YOU slide off a corner with a new sled that means the world to you and you WILL be sold on it too. Its better to be SAFE then SORRY and make a great weekend un the nortwoods into a bad experience and a totaled sled. :stop_nono:

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alleycat @ Jan 7 2007, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yep,........i agree its the very first thing i do to every sled i buy.
besides the performance factor, it greatly increases you safety.[/b]
:thumbsup:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f5firecat @ Jan 7 2007, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

my .02 CENTS[/b]
:stop_nono:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iron Cat @ Jan 7 2007, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just put on 153 Extreme max studs last week. i went with the 1.25 stud. I also had an ODS clutch kit put on. I put 300+ miles on with the clutch kit on early december I did definately notice a big difference in accerleration and quickness. I cant wait to try it in the snow and on a lake.[/b]
now with the lower friction of snow and traction of studs off the line, you'll really like it

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BratCat @ Jan 7 2007, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
After coming so close to kissing a deer that I could reach out and slap that doe on the rear, I said the heck with no studs!!! Next trip to town I made was to the Cat Shop for studs. I will not sacrifice my sled for stupidity. bang your head[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snopropickle @ Jan 8 2007, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The iced out corners here in WI can be horible, also stoping fast because of a poorly marked corner on the otherside of a hill or any other freak situation has had me sold on studs for a long time. Maybe I ride a little faster then you but all it takes is one time that YOU slide off a corner with a new sled that means the world to you and you WILL be sold on it too. Its better to be SAFE then SORRY and make a great weekend un the nortwoods into a bad experience and a totaled sled. :stop_nono:[/b]
all good examples of how they're beneficial :thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snopropickle @ Jan 8 2007, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Jan 7 2007, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my .02 CENTS
[/b][/quote]

The iced out corners here in WI can be horible, also stoping fast because of a poorly marked corner on the otherside of a hill or any other freak situation has had me sold on studs for a long time. Maybe I ride a little faster then you but all it takes is one time that YOU slide off a corner with a new sled that means the world to you and you WILL be sold on it too. Its better to be SAFE then SORRY and make a great weekend un the nortwoods into a bad experience and a totaled sled. :stop_nono:
[/b][/quote]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts