Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Gorilla Winch installed. It was actually very easy to do. So far I'm happy but we'll see the week after next. Goin for a week of camping & ATV riding.

My question is...Warn winches require 6 gauge wire to run the unit. Gorilla's come with wire that looks to be between 8 and 10 gauge. In fact the ring connectors in the Gorilla wiring say 10-12 gauge wire. Nothing is marked on the wire itself. Is this wire big enough???? Anyone had any troubles with it??

Steve

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've used mine quite a bit for winching trees and logs out and raising and lowering my treechopper and my plow(that tool hasn't been used much yet) and I've not had any problems so far. There's guys on here who've used there's alot more than I have though, they'll be along.
JD

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
if that is what came with the kit i would say it's good, can always upgrade later. after winching a bit put your hand on the wire, very warm or hot is no good.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not six gauge. I compared with the wiring that came with my Warn (which is clearly marked USE 6 GAUGE WIRING). I am familiar with wire sizes and it almost looks like somewhere between 8 and 10 gauge. As I said, if you look closer at the eyes on the end of the wire that came with it, it says 'for 10-12 gauge wire'. I had to cut and re-eye one of the wires and a 10-12 gauge eye fit.

I'd just hate to be winching a load and have this thing smoke on me.

Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just installed the Viper MX-3000 winch on my 06 500 auto and it came with 6 gauge. Pulls strong and doesn't seem to dim the lights much. What size charging system are on these things? Must be massive in the output department...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
here is some pics of the gorilla 3000 new in box and installed. I think its 8 gauge wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My gorilla came with 8 ga...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Installed three Gorilla winches last summer. None of them have had any wire problems. I agree the connectors are too light weight and if I was serious I'd shorten those primary wires and install better ends. Those flimsy ends are my only complaint so far about about those Gorillas. I wouldn't worry about the wires. First I've heard of anyone even questioning their size and no one I'm aware of has had a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys... This is Gorilla Winches... All of our current stock winches are 6 gage wiring...some of our older models sold in 2006 had 8 gage... but all new stuff is 6. We appreciate any suggestions on product improvments. You can send ideas to [email protected]

Thanks again for your support!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am thinking of getting a gorilla winch. I was wondering if I have to get the arctic cat specific mounting plate or can I make the universal plate work? I could save $45 if I could get the universal one to work.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kynoch @ Mar 27 2007, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am thinking of getting a gorilla winch. I was wondering if I have to get the arctic cat specific mounting plate or can I make the universal plate work? I could save $45 if I could get the universal one to work.
Thanks[/b]
If you do indeed have a 2006 500 auto as your profile says you do, the mounting plate is already on your machine.

Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry Guys....Gorilla Winches here, quick correction clarification regarding the wire size... for the 3000LB winches the wire is 6 gage, the 2500 and 2000 are 8 Gage. Sorry about that, but I wanted to get this correction to you all!

Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kynoch,

I just installed one on my wifes '06 400. The mount is already there. Nothing else needed. It was a snap. As a hint, take off the inside fender liner of the right ide front wheel well. There are two mall torx screws, one larger torx screw and a wire tie you have to cut. It makes access and securing wires much easier.

I am leaving for a week of riding and am looking foward to trying it out.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts