Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a lot of buzz about the new procross Yamaha so we had to wait to see it unveiled. I was talking to one of the yamaha reps in the lounge of our Hotel and he told me that there was a LOT coming to light the next day. I asked a lot of questions and he was reluctant to comment on a lot of them. After the unveiling the next day, I found out it was Chris Ried who had a bunch to do with the development of the SR Viper. A lot was covered in the 2014 model features seminar. If you have any questions, I can answer a lot, but not all. I CAN tell you that they will not be any competition for the Z1 turbo, It is the Nytro motor with more sensors and a different calibration.
I test rode 4 of the Viper models and I was very impressed with the performance. Nice smooth low engagement. Strong pull at any speed. I did see 86 on the speedo, but ran out of course.
I had the chance to ride 5 models
SR Viper 129" ripsaw 2 coilover shocks
SR Viper LTX 137" ripsaw 2 coilover shocks
SR Viper RTX SE 129 Ripsaw 2 fox floats
SR Viper LTX SE 137 ripsaw 2 fox floats
SR Viper XTX SE 141 cobra not backcountry. I was hoping for the backcountry track

I have always loved Yamahas, but went to Cats 14 yrs ago and vowed when they quit making 2 strokes I would never go back. I will be doing a SR Viper LTX SE in red on the spring surge program simply because it is a CAT. The Nytro motor and clutching is second to none. Yamaha currently offers supercharger and turbo kits for the nytro and it doesn't void the warranty. The same setup will be offered for the Viper, but development is coming in the next 5 months on a lot of things. "No comment" was given, however I bet we can expect to see an Apex transplant in the years to come. Yamaha has promised one new engine per year for the next 5 years.
If you have any questions, I am sure a local dealer can answer, but there were 3 of us from MI at the Dealer Meeting.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just buy the Green one Fijjitty....you'll save money in the long run on paint Cat happy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like yami just took one sale away from cat. Still not sure how its gonna help cats market share
I Personally think this will end up in Cat's favor if all the true Yamaha Junkies out there actually refuse to purchase these copy cat machines. If this does happen, I'm sure Cat will have no problem purchasing the Yamaha Snow machine line and then do away with everything...wont be the first time this has happened. John Deere -VS- Polaris back in the day for example....

A true Cat Junkie would not purchase a Apex with the 1100 Turbo in it and painted green....at least not me! I dunno

These are Arctic Cat machines no matter what decal or motor they apply..Cat has always put someone else engine in there platform, this is nothing new.
Yamaha selling a machine produced and designed by the comp...now that is new and a complete let down to all that has been die hard loyal fans of Yamaha.

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
Sounds like yami just took one sale away from cat. Still not sure how its gonna help cats market share

does not matter. They still get paid for that sled and the parts business. The only thing they loose out on is the margin to cat is probably smaller vs them selling through a cat dealer. Now a cat dealer just lost a sale.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was no doubt jumping ship from Yamaha to Skidoo but no longer,We now have the best motor and clutching paired with the best chassis in the industire IMHO. I love the new Viper!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yamaha has been in the 4 stroke market so long now, there is no down side to it at all WHATSOEVER

I was so impressed with the ride, performance and styling. I love red n black so if Cat was to do it, I would have been on a Cat. I will own a SR Viper 137 for next year, but I will still own my 2 stroke cats too.....just sayin....

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got a SR Viper RTX SE coming , I Was getting a new cat or doo , but then this sled came out
I was a Polaris guy for a long time and thought I would give the nytro a try and lots of money later still don't like it , test rode the viper and the seating,handling everything about it was awesome and had to have it . I'm not loyal to any brand just want a good handling sled that's fun to ride and I think I will have it in this sled Cat happy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts