Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from OF, we spent the week riding in the sub zero snowy weather from the 11th through the 16th, and had a great time.

On Tuesday we woke up to -20 below, and for the next 4 days we wouldn't see any temperatures much over zero, with most of our riding being done at around -5 below.

The riding was fantastic, then the heavy snow came on Wednesday and I ended up breaking trail most of the way on our ride to Brantingham, didn't pass anyone after leaving trail 1 on the way to B-ham.
It was snowing very hard, and it was getting deeper and deeper, so I decided to turn around and head back out following the same trail we had just made, but it was already snow covered after only a few miles, we eventually did pass a few on the way back which helped open the trail up.
I wish I would have done the trade up on the 1 1/4 track, this 1 inch track was spinning like crazy up and down every hill (as was our REV), the loose mountain powder always seems tough to hook up on, but I bet my old Sabercat EXT would have eaten this stuff up.

Now for my only real complaint, and that is how poorly this sled handled under certain conditions, it was almost in the dangerous/out of control category.

This sled still has the factory duelies on it, if I would have had my cordless drill with me I would have drilled the skis for the 4th hole and put the 6 inch shapers on that I have, but I wanted to "burn" up the O.E.M. duelies first.
In powder the sled pushed badly, on the firmer packed powder the sled darted in every ski track I got sucked into.
My wife loved the riding position but I was concerned about it being to hard to control for her, that she spent most of the time on our REV.
I am going to check the ski alignment now that I'm home, as I am having a hard time believing that this poor handling is all due to the duelies, the sled doesn’t pull left or right, but maybe I have too much tow out?
On certain groomed hard packed the sled handled perfect, no darting and didn't push as bad.
I will try the “shapers” next, but if it's still not up to my liking I may do as I did on my old Sabercat and pony up the doe for Powder pros, or something more aggressive.

Would like to hear back from you guys that have the new f series and have ridden it under different conditions and hear what your opinions are?

The sled seems to steer like a dream only under certain conditions, around here the riding that I had done (about 200 miles) it seemed excellent, but up in the Adirondacks it was a completely different animal.

As far as the pros, everything else not mentioned here was fantastic, rear suspension was outstanding, engine ran flawlessly under some really cool temps, the adjustable bars and seat was a plus, the windshield in the highest position did offer good protection, all in all just about perfect, those handle bar warmers really CRANK!
Clutching is very smooth, I can hear the D drive occasionally, but jumping back and forth between jackshaft sleds, the d drive seems to be smoother.
I installed the tank map/storage bag on it before we left and it was well worth the 50 bucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
do yourself a favor and buy some simmons flexi skis and life will be that much better on the new f. check your front skid spring and loosen it up until the spring starts to rattle and tighten one turn and your be right where you need to be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife has the same problems that you are having with the handling, we had the dealer put the 1 1/4" rip saw track on when the sled was new. In 5 or 6 inches of snow the sled is all over the place, border line out of control. I talked to our dealer about the problem and he called Arctic Cat and they recommended changing the front coil spring in the rear suspension.

We broke trail in 2 feet of fresh snow the other day and we had problems with the air inlet getting plugged up with snow. (no air-no run) She wanted to get a leftover Firecat but I talked her into an F8, (BIG MISTAKE) Her 03 f7 had 11,000 miles on it when we sold it, her 05 had 7,500. Now I am trying to talk her into a Xfire. The F8 is getting traded at the end of the season for what I dont know but it will not be another F8.

·
Registered
47 Posts
:super_happy: Hay catndoo,i just got back from old forge also spent the same week 11-16,we managed
350 cold miles. i have 425 miles on my F10 put the first 75 on it with stock bars and no studs,had same results with track spin and steering,came back for the week with 8 inch single shapers and 221 pix. The track spin was gone but steering did'nt get much better.We rode back from the wigwam to thendara on the tracks thursday, wasn't fun.
Over all this is the best sled I ever rode,the guys i rode with had a hard time staying with me,i'm always last in line...not this time!!!!!
I also did pretty good on big moose lake....
At this point i am very happy with my INVESTMENT
CHUCK :super_happy:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cathog @ Feb 17 2007, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
do yourself a favor and buy some simmons flexi skis and life will be that much better on the new f. check your front skid spring and loosen it up until the spring starts to rattle and tighten one turn and your be right where you need to be.[/b]
Sounds like it would be a logical choice seeing there are some similarities to the Rev design, and the simmons have worked well on the doo's.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (9lives @ Feb 17 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My wife has the same problems that you are having with the handling, we had the dealer put the 1 1/4" rip saw track on when the sled was new. In 5 or 6 inches of snow the sled is all over the place, border line out of control. I talked to our dealer about the problem and he called Arctic Cat and they recommended changing the front coil spring in the rear suspension.

We broke trail in 2 feet of fresh snow the other day and we had problems with the air inlet getting plugged up with snow. (no air-no run) She wanted to get a leftover Firecat but I talked her into an F8, (BIG MISTAKE) Her 03 f7 had 11,000 miles on it when we sold it, her 05 had 7,500. Now I am trying to talk her into a Xfire. The F8 is getting traded at the end of the season for what I dont know but it will not be another F8.[/b]
I have not had any issues with the intake plugging (I wonder why) as I have been in lots of deep powder, maybe just lucky so far.
I am going to keep working on the steering and see if it can't be improved.
The Crossfire sure would have been the way to go in all that powder, I did see lots of them on the trail, I think you guy's would be happy with the Xfire.
I'm usually not an orange sled person, but that Crossfire in Orange is pretty sharp.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F1000 ryder @ Feb 17 2007, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:super_happy: Hay catndoo,i just got back from old forge also spent the same week 11-16,we managed
350 cold miles. i have 425 miles on my F10 put the first 75 on it with stock bars and no studs,had same results with track spin and steering,came back for the week with 8 inch single shapers and 221 pix. The track spin was gone but steering did'nt get much better.We rode back from the wigwam to thendara on the tracks thursday, wasn't fun.
Over all this is the best sled I ever rode,the guys i rode with had a hard time staying with me,i'm always last in line...not this time!!!!!
CHUCK :super_happy:[/b]
Hey F1000 ryder, we probably past you guys on the trial at some point as I remember only seeing a few F series sleds all week, we were riding in just a group of two, my wife on the doo, and me on the Cat.
I do remember seeing a couple of 1000's.
I agree with you that this is the best seld so far in most conditions, now If we can get them to corner better in loose snow we will be all set.
It sure was cold up there this past week, I noticed the tracks to thendara looked pretty well blown in On Wednesday, so by Thursday I bet they were worse.
After reading the post over on HCS where a group of 3 got stranded on the trail, I am glad I turned around when I did, as if I had a break down I could have never towed a sled in those conditions.
Glad to hear you like your F!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roy T @ Feb 17 2007, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (9lives @ Feb 17 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We broke trail in 2 feet of fresh snow the other day and we had problems with the air inlet getting plugged up with snow. (no air-no run)[/b]
Did you see my post on this unacceptable design and problem from two weeks ago? – Roy

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53695
[/b][/quote]

Roy,
I did read your post about the air intake clogging and when I was breaking trail druing the blizzard this was on of the things I was concerned about, thanks for pointing it out, as nothing did happen, but if I didn't turn back when I did, maybe it would have plugged??

How is your sled set up front, are you still running the stock carbides?

·
Registered
367 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F1000 ryder @ Feb 17 2007, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
CHUCK :super_happy:[/b]
Wigwam to Thendara on the TRACKS???? Yuk! Wouldn't want to do that on anything BUT an F-series. Not a smooth ride to say the least.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I noticed the same issue on mine from the recent snow. It is loose and crystal like, and makes higher speeds(over 50) feel too unstable to maintain. I cranked the front susp. up, and dropped the front of the rear susp. down quite a bit. made it a little better, but not the answer. I was looking at different skis, but I hated the idea of spending money on skis to get the ride I had before. Plus having to modify my ride to fit this snow condition. I still love the sled, just at lower speeds now. Everyone I spoke to was saying how their sleds(all makes and models) are much looser, so not sure if I am jumping the gun. I am dissapointed my wifes f5 has so much less adjustments than my f6. I am assuming the front shock on the rear is adjustable. Here is a picture of the litter

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do both of your f's handle the same?

Maybe the snow conditions are part of the problem if other sleds are also handling worse.
The weird thing is the week before I had put a few hundred miles locally under hard pack snow conditions and this thing cornered pretty good..
New ski's would probably be the answer but like you said I hate to throw more cash at a new sled, but I probably will...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Snow conditions can make such a huge, huge difference. Put 100+ miles on last week in nice, hardpacked, tight, rip 'n grip trails – traction, braking, steering, and overall handling was excellent – had a blast! On the exact same trails this weekend with loose sugar snow, and/or recently groomed but chewed up trails, it was an entirely different story. No traction, no braking, vague steering response and handling, and squirrely darting and tracking all over the trail, and sled felt like it had 30 less hp. What a difference, and that was with zero changes to the sled between rides. Just something to keep in mind I guess. – Roy

·
Registered
696 Posts
My new one is handling great with my C&A razors with 6 inch shapers. I test drove a stock Jag with stock skis before i bought the F8 and i just could not turn or hook up with that sled. So provided that the Jag handles comparibly to the F series, i would say the skis make all the difference.

Also i sure wish it came with at least 1 1/4 track.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar problem wih my old Sabercat ext, I couldn't get it to turn very well until I went with Powder pros, I guess it could be the same thing all over again with this sled.

What shapers do your Razors take, are they made just for the razors, or will the same carbide that fit the oem ski also fit the razors?

I bought a set of 6 inch shapers and hate to not be able to use them if I buy new ski's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Simmons flexi skis work outstanding on my f1000, I have 4 4" carbide runners on them with 168 picks, no darting, and digs through the corners at high speeds. I would highly recommend a set of these, all of your issues would be solved. I also took 3 tightening turns on the center shock to put some extra weight on the nose, this did help some.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know its mainly the snow, had 900 awesome miles before this last snow burst. This stuff just isn't packing. I agree on the track, I was spinning a lot even before this snow. Think I'll be getting a deeper lug track before next year. Any idea on what the max would be for clearance?
I am not sure on the handling between the 2, haven't really ridden her f5. Was surprised at how much different the suspension set up was. Less than half the adjustments on her f5 compared to my f6. She loved hers until this past weekend. She Jumped back on her sabercat, but wasn't much better. (little bit wider track helped a minimal amount). manage about 250 miles this weekend, and even with the conditions we weren't hurting from the extra amount of working the sleds!

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Hey, Anyone experiencing fishtailing on those F's when pinning or back off the throttle ?. I did when I tried the F8 demo at Brodner's last Saturday.

Probably the best solution is to install the 1.25" track (Studs, Maybe ?) just like everyone's saying ?. I dunno

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Corey,

The rear end will fish tail a bit, but it is something that is not too bad, I have studs but the 1 1/4 track is something I kick myself in the butt for not getting, as you said it would have probably helped.
The biggest problem and really the only real gripe I have is the push under cetain riding conditons.
I rode ours around here a few hundred miles and didn't have the issue I had last week in Old Forge, maybe the snow conditions were part of the problem.

How did the demo go at the park with Brodners, was the Jag ther only "F" sled they had out?

They have always treated me real well there with any issues I have had, and they are close to where I work.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Feb 20 2007, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
snow conditions were part of the problem.

How did the demo go at the park with Brodners, was the Jag ther only "F" sled they had out?

They have always treated me real well there with any issues I have had, and they are close to where I work.[/b]
Not too sure if the snow conditions had caused the problem. Just felt fishtailing when hitting the flipper or letting go of the flipper unlike my F7.

Demo went very well. I truly was very pleased with the outcome of having the chance to ride 4 sleds. They had 2 Jags (Green and Red), 2 F8's (Green and Orange), 3 Crossfire's ('06 700 Black, '07 800 Green Standard and Orange Sno-Pro) and T660 2-up (Silver). :thumbsup:

I originally thought they had F1000 out to find out that it was Jag. :(

Brodner's are great to work with when I needed parts or advice to work on. Truly enjoy Dave or Jacob, The mechanics there as they take their time to converse with me especially with my deafness.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those guys are great. Everyone I talked to had the same problems with their sleds being loose in the last batch of snow. Rained today :boohoo: needed the moisture in the snow, hope it turns back cold quick and we get more snow. I am going to change my limiter straps, and most others have said that helps tremendously.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesterday I took an 8 foot level and laid it against the track and checked my ski alignment.

Found the right ski (the one that I hit a culvert with a bout 3 weeks ago) to be towed out 3/8 of an inch more then the left ski.

I realigned it and will try again this week and see if there is an improvement, this could have to do with the tracking problems I was having last week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts