Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just picked up this 1997 ZRT800 a couple of days ago, the thing runs great and is in awesome shape. The previous owner stated that it had a 1050 or maybe 1150 big bore kit in it. Now i know the only way to actually prove this is to open up the motor and take some measurements but are there any things that I can look at to tell if it is before opening the motor? I noticed that each cylinder appears to have a spacer under the jugs, it does have vforce delta reed cages and i dont think the pipes are stock as the ones that i have looked at online look a bit different. so if somebody could id the pipes for me that would be great, they appear to be going into a stock can. On a side note i picked up a 98 z440 the next day for cheap, gotta love the end of the season buys. Also i do have experience with 2 strokes, all in the form of honda 250r's and some other toys, so im not afraid to open it up if i have to to prove the size of the engine just dont want to if i dont have to.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Show us a pic of the side of the cylinder and I can tell you if its a stock cylinder or aftermarket. Hooper made tons of 1050 trail cylinders. Also leave the stock can on it as aftermarket tips sounds cool but you will loose HP!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Take one of the pipes off and get a few more pics as well when you get the pic of the side of the cylinder!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
OK, That's a stock 800 cylinder. So they must have big bored it. Stock bore is 72mm. A 1000 depending on what piston they used and it looks like there is a shim under the cylinder is probable a ZR700 piston which would be 81mm. Wiseco made pistons also for big bores in 80.5mm and now in 81mm. With the Wiseco's there is no need for a shim under the cylinder. Also in pic #1 it looks like the bolt is missing that goes into the rear motor mount. One last thing. Being those are mystery pipes I will give You $50 and a set of stock pipes for them!! LOL!! Just messing with you!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I was just thinking. It could also be a 1132 if they used the Zr700 to 800cc big bore pistons. That would be a wiseco 86mm bore.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
86mm would be pushing it to the limit for bore size. As far as your pipes go I would pull them off and see if you can find some markings on the back side. At one time there was about 10 company's making pipes for that engine so????

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Post a few pics of it with a head off. Make sure you bleed the anti freeze down first and afterwards burp the air back out of it. I usually take the thermostat off to fill the anti freeze back up. Oh if it is Black magic pipes I have seen them with only markings on one pipe before so you might need to check all three pipes for markings.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have seen tags like that welded on before. Now If I can get my ol memory to work again I can help ya out. I am thinking they are older D&D pipes. Black magic had theres stamped in one pipe.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts