Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!
This past Friday I purchased a 2006 Arctic Cat 650 V2 and with the little riding I have done on it so far I am thoroughly impressed.
I have a few questions for you all, posted here since my questions come from all directions.

My first question is where do I look to find the serial number on my machine?

Next I have a question about tires. The type of riding I do is mostly around hunting land, through woods and fields, but fairly often I find myself playing in the mud. I was looking at getting a 27" big wheel kit for it but am unsure of which tires would be the best. My buddy has mudlites and I would like to be able to keep up with him in the mud but also have a smooth enough ride when not in the mud. So, are the kenda bearclaws a good enough tire in the mud to keep up with the mudlites, or would the mudlites be my best choice for a tire? How spaced out are the lugs on the bearclaws and how deep are the lugs on them? If you believe there is a better tire out there for me please give me your input!

Do you think I should look at purchasing some different clutch springs to help with belt life since I will be doing a fair amount of playing in the mud? If so, which springs would be the best to get to help with belt life and help gain power with some 27 inchers? I don't need a write up at the moment of how to install the springs, but for those of you that have put them in, how hard is it?

Lastly, when riding on trails is it better to keep it in low? Unless I know I am going to be hitting a pretty good open straight stretch then is it best to switch to high gear?

Thanks to everyone for any input I receive, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Keep it in low. i have hit 50mph in low gear (kinda scared to go faster in low). I would definately buy a CDI box. I have a dyna-tek.( about $180 shipped). Ibought a clutch kit from epi but only put in the springs (pink primary and black secondary). If and when I go to 27 or 28 inch tires I will use the weights. Putting in the springs is about a 4 on a 1-10 scale if even that. Most guys seem to be running this spring set-up. I've got 26 inch mudlite xl's on my bike and they seem to do pretty good. I will probably buy another set when these wear out. None of my riding buddies what to expierment with different tires. They bought what I bought. The v2 is one bada$$ machine. Just respect the power.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
taters_vtwin, welcome call to ArcticChat! :chug:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taters_vtwin @ May 1 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...where do I look to find the serial number on my machine?[/b]
Look at the piece of frame tubing behind the shock mount on the left rear, under the gas tank.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taters_vtwin @ May 1 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Next I have a question about tires. The type of riding I do is mostly around hunting land, through woods and fields, but fairly often I find myself playing in the mud. I was looking at getting a 27" big wheel kit for it but am unsure of which tires would be the best. My buddy has mudlites and I would like to be able to keep up with him in the mud but also have a smooth enough ride when not in the mud. So, are the kenda bearclaws a good enough tire in the mud to keep up with the mudlites, or would the mudlites be my best choice for a tire? How spaced out are the lugs on the bearclaws and how deep are the lugs on them? If you believe there is a better tire out there for me please give me your input![/b]
There are so many good tires out there, it seems everyone will recommend whatever they bought. I doubt anyone has tried them all to have a truly 'universally' informed opinion. They can only tell you about what they've tried, so you may never hear the good about so many great tires.

I'm a newbie to ATVs, the only tires I know first hand are the stock GoodYear MT/Rs and the 9x27x14R ITP XTRs.

Yes, I would recommend the XTRs for the rough trails... They are so much better than the stockers in terms of handling. They're a 6-ply radial with an all purpose tread pattern. The one thing that does stand out about them is they handle amazing especially if you like to fly your ATV not unlike a moto-cross bike. Very little bounce, which makes higher speeds with maintaining control possible.

Do you think I should look at purchasing some different clutch springs to help with belt life since I will be doing a fair amount of playing in the mud? If so, which springs would be the best to get to help with belt life and help gain power with some 27 inchers? I don't need a write up at the moment of how to install the springs, but for those of you that have put them in, how hard is it?[/b]
I'm still running the stock belt after 3000 miles. All I did was make sure the deflection was up to spec, avoid WOT throttle jabs from a standstill /wheelies. The clutches are completely stock. All I've ever done is take the cover off for inspection, and used compressed air to blow all the dirt & rubber dust out of every crevice in all the parts. My clutch springs & weights are bone stock. It has outlasted my expectations after reading posts about clutch/belt problems.

Be sure to do a proper belt break-in if you want it to last!

Belt break-in? Yes, some belts come with instructions on the wrapper cardboard. Basically, drive it easy on the throttle for about 50 miles, no throttle jabs, no more than roughly half throttle speeds... This slightly changes the rubber compound making it harder before wearing it off into rubber powder.

Lastly, when riding on trails is it better to keep it in low? Unless I know I am going to be hitting a pretty good open straight stretch then is it best to switch to high gear?[/b]
I keep it in Low on the trails because it definitley feels like a more positive belt/clutch engagement (less slip) than high gear. But that's a stock setup, you may not feel any slip in high if you've calibrated the clutches to the point it can take the higher gear ratio and not slip much at all.

The only time I use high is on the frozen lakes and on the roads when I'll be traveling more than 30-40 mph or so.

:chug:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey there,
Just got a V2 myself in mid January, and other than playin in the snow a bit today was the 1st off road test, and I am also impressed w/ this rig. Anyway here's what Ive found out from this site...

Regarding belt life. Keep it in Low unless youre really on some open fast terrain (fire roads, dirt roads etc) That V2 will easily go 40+ in low, and it is better on the belt, but don't be afraid to throw it in High once in awhile for some extra fun.
Also I know this is going to sound strange but you'll know your belt is got the proper deflection if it squeaks / chirps at idle in gear. I know youre thinking a noisey belt must be loose. That's true almost everytime, but w/ the V2's a tight belt will chirp / sqeal lightly in gear at idle and should go away once you apply throttle or take it out of gear.

Clutch springs I would say are a matter of prefferance. I think from the riding youre describing you'll be fine w/ the stock set up, but if youre really looking for more bottom end folks on here will chime in w/ the springs they've used.

As far as bigger tires, I also thought about different tires / wheels, but Im going to hold off until I really need them. That V2 should chew its way through most anything, especially in 4WD w/ the diff locked. You may want to consider a Gorilla Winch so if you get stuck that'sll be a God send, but also so you can make a little $$ pulling Honda's & ****oo's out of mud holes. :super_happy:

There's a TON of info on here for the V2's and Sanny 651 owned one and is very helpful. There's a service manual you should get. It's on here in the Tech Tips section, or you can get one on Ebay for less than 10 bucks to your door.

Here's a post regarding the belt light reset procedure: http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51209

Here's one for ALOT of V2 info do's & dont's. This post is VERY helpful & informative. Here's the link for that:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30736

Here's a link to the Service Manual to download. It's for the 04 V2 but it'll apply to most everything on yours:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showforum=52

Here's a link to a VERY informative post regarding the addition of a sway bar to help handling:
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52298

That should give you some stuff to enjoy for a while, and hopefully will help you fully enjoy that V2. From personal experience make sure your tires are all set to the correct psi. which is 5PSI, but I run the fronts at 6 & the rears at 5 for personal preference.

Id also suggest turning the shocks one click to soft on all 4 but Id use a shop rag and channel locks instead of that silly spanner wrench that came with it.

Also when you do your oil changes make sure NOT to overfill. Keep it a lil lower than the full mark. Like maybe 1/2 way between full and low. If you fill it to the full mark or beyond they have a tendancy to put oil in the airbox, and it makes a mess.

One last link for ya: http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...=si&img=744
This shows just what that 650 V2 can do.

I hope this helps you. If you want any more info you can either PM me here on AC, or email me at [email protected]
Have fun, and stay safe! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
If you get the dynatek, which is what I run , make sure it has a model #1101365 , as most are #1101193 and you'll have the infamous cutout problem caused by the tip sensor in the 05/06 650 v2 arctic cats. You may have to get it directly from dynatek but you won't be dissapointed with the boost you get, its awesome.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Don't put a sway bar on it, waste of money

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 1 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't put a sway bar on it, waste of money[/b]

And you don't have one, right? Pretty hard to compare not running one. I would listen to the 30 or so from here alone that say it IS a good mod. Maybe not for everyone, but hardly a waste of money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow guys, thanks a lot for all the great info! That was more information than I was expecting and it sure helps out a lot. I know I will for sure be spending quite a bit of my time on here. You all are very knowledgeable and have some very nice atvs on here. Thanks again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sway bar is mandatory in my mind except for maybe 100% extreme mudding/rock work, trust what EVERYONE has said about it. Made my handling with the stock Goodyear's liveable until I get new tires, but now I'm not in a rush.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ May 1 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Houleigan @ May 1 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't put a sway bar on it, waste of money[/b]

And you don't have one, right? Pretty hard to compare not running one. I would listen to the 30 or so from here alone that say it IS a good mod. Maybe not for everyone, but hardly a waste of money.
[/b][/quote]

I feel the swaybar was an awesome safety addition as I felt my cat was tippy in alot of off camber situations ,especially when rock crawling. The difference is night and day, and to be honest I dont't feel the loss of any performance but I'm not a racer or a strict mudder, bottom line for me its a must have and you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the board and congrats on being a new screaming kitty owner! You are going to love the V2. There is a ton of information on here. My first recommendation is to spend time using the search function as you will find countless hours of material that will answer or cover most anything you can think of.

There are plenty of V2 riders on here with different riding styles, terrain and of course opinions. Once you start reading you will quickly realize what the majority of the group feels is normal or best practices so to speak for the V2. Being that you have an 06 there a few things that have already been addressed by AC for you.

The most important thing is making sure your belt is tight. Very easy to check and if it's where it should be you will have no issues with running 27"tires. The other thing is recognize when you are stuck and do the smart thing and winch out or get strapped out, better to do that then burn up a belt trying to spin tires that have no chance of turning. It's not a matter of if your going to get stuck but when, I don't care what machine you ride, if you get into mud or water it's only a matter of time.

The 2nd most important thing is know that your stock air intake is in the worst spot it could be. The Cats can take on water very easily, read the hours long posts about snorkles.

Tires, stockers leave a lot to be desired, money, terrain, your riding style all play a part in what aftermarket tires may be good for you.

Finally, see what each person who actually owns and has certain mods has to say about them to help make yoru choices. You will always hear people bash or comment on things they have no actual experience with. Doesn't matter if it's this forum or a truck forum.

Last just get out and ride! Wear a brain bucket, respect peoples property and enjoy the big :turd: eating grin your going to have on your face from the snap of the V2! You've got a great machine, enjoy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi again,
I forgot a nice & FREE mod. Remove the "actuator" fuse in the fuse box. It's a 10 amp fuse, and when you remove it, it will disable that awful engine braking system. It'll allow for a bit better low speed throttle control, and it'll tip in at low speeds better too giving you more control, I think so anyway. Try it and if you dont like it, just plug the fuse back in, but in my opinion, the engine brake systems is overkill. The bike will still slow way down when you left off the throttle, and it just seems to ride at low speeds easier. Like I say this mod has the right price, and takes abt 10 seconds if you take your time. Sorry I didnt add this to my earlier reply. Enjoy the V2! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
122 Posts
welcome Tator, I have a 04 twin, all stock, I purchased a set of Mudlites xtr's 14 inch and ITP type 7 polished wheels, they are about the same height as my stock 26 inch goodyears, the reason I got them was for better handling, less side wall flex with the 14 inch, what everyone says here, I've haven't put 50 miles on them yet, but they are great, had a head to head push off with a polaris this spring doing trail signs, a buddy is always pushing and banging, had these tires on from the winter and pushed him in to the woods like a little rag doll, 2 wheel drive, so they bite hard. My group I ride with are all getting the new efi's and mostly can am's and we don't hit the mud like we use to, so I am thinking changing my set up and putting my next to new mudlites up for sale. I see your in wisconsin, if your interested PM me. I ran them mostly this winter, and they are the best in the deep snow, so I was thinking of keeping them just for that. most of the trails I ride are fire roads up north and alot of Prick DNR officers with nothing to do stop us and check our machines over. I found out after I got them 14 inch wheels are not under the definition of a ATV, so they can ticket you for them, another reason I don't need them, but if your out to play in the mud, and ride low profile trails, they would be great. Have fun on your new Cat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have bear claw tires and they do very well in mud and they are onely on the back they work well as you can tell by the mud on my quad they also let u hook up to run from police (nobody likes us quaders)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
welcome to the chat. I had 2000 miles on my v2 with no problems with the belt. I would recommend the moose module. not that expensive and you can pick it up from the outdoor shop + Dan is a site sponsor here. I did put a clutch kit in mine and I thought it helped but it really wasn't absolute. As for sway bar I loved mine and I would really recommend it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts