Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read through lots of posts on what to do, but its all from 2011. So I'm looking for some updated info! Right now the sled is completely stock (never even changed plugs and only on the second belt) w/ 1500 miles.

Has anyone ever found a can that has worked at 1500ft as well as up in the mountains at 9k feet? What about the clutch set up? Has anyone tried the MDS weights, or do others work just as well? I can't really wrap my head around spending that much on weights and how just changing weights will really wake up the sled that much. Any other clutch updates/set ups that I should check out?

I've read a bunch on the DD bearing update and have an skf bearing ordered, hope no machining has to be done...What psi are you guys running your shocks at?

I'm in ND and out here ride between 1500 and 2500 feet, with trips planned to Cooke City which gets up to around 10,000. I'm 215 w/o all the gear on (if that matters).

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Why do you want to change your clutch weights at all? If you dont want to change your RPM then changing your weight is a simple way of throwing money away. What RPM do you have now and what do you want? If you want more performance out of your clutch I say buy the RK-tek secondary torsional conversion, really makes the clutch work WAY better. Also unless you want adjustable weights they are all the same thing. And I run my shock up front around 65psi and I weigh about 170 with all gear. Its all up to what you want and how you want it to work, try maybe 75 to start and go up or down from there, just my .02cents though

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only had the sled for a bit, but the max rpm reading shows 8450. Shouldn't it be closer to 8200? It came with two sets of weights, and I put the lower elevation ones in which I believe are 72 (would have to double check)...Speaking of weights do you torque them all the way to spec? They seem awfully hard to move compared to other sleds I've had in the past.

I've read a few things about torsion clutch systems and its seems that some people develop issues with reverse using them. Have you had any issues?

Right away I'm not looking to dump all the much into the sled hopefully keep around $600 or so, and from what I read the mds weights are good to run with stock set ups.

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've only had the sled for a bit, but the max rpm reading shows 8450. Shouldn't it be closer to 8200? It came with two sets of weights, and I put the lower elevation ones in which I believe are 72 (would have to double check)...Speaking of weights do you torque them all the way to spec? They seem awfully hard to move compared to other sleds I've had in the past.

I've read a few things about torsion clutch systems and its seems that some people develop issues with reverse using them. Have you had any issues?

Right away I'm not looking to dump all the much into the sled hopefully keep around $600 or so, and from what I read the mds weights are good to run with stock set ups.

Thanks for the reply
If you want to find out what rpm you should be aiming for try to find some dyno results online. There you can find out where it peaks and that's where you want it. Don't take my word for it but I do think its below 8450. As for the reverse yes they had issue... In the past. Rktek has done a great job and developed a system without issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I saw a dyno chart from BMP which shows hp going down around 8000 and slp which shows hp going down around 8200...I will check into that rktek clutch some more thanks
Then I would for sure look into lowering your rpm to around 8100. My sled is pulling 8150 and I like it there. But I also have some mods changing the peak rpm so I can't say really for you. But I would aim for about what I have (more or less). What you should do is I don't know how close you are with your local dealer but mine let me try some used weights and fine my write setup that way I didn't need to buy adjustable weights nor did I did to buy a couple sets of regular weights to get it right. If that's not your case look into either some adjustable weights or look for someone on swapmeet selling some weights and just get some cheap and try those

1 - 6 of 6 Posts