Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!! I frequent the ZR forum quite a bit but after this weekend I think Ill be spending alot of time here too. My GF's grandmother just gave me 2 1974 Arctic Cat sleds. I saw them in a picture album and she said, "We still have them. They're in the barn covered up. The last time we rode them was in the winter of 1987."
It was dark but they looked like they were in awesome condition!! No rust, engine compartments looked super clean, just dusty. Couldnt find a crack anywhere. Pulled the cord and they both turned over pretty easy, which was a surprise. One is a 340 and the other is a 440.
Where is a good place to start to find a manual for these and is there anything in particular that I should look for?
Thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One's cheetah and one's a panther...Ill take some pics tomorrow when its light out!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wow...nice Grandma !

Before you pull the cord and turn the motor over again, remove the air boxes ( if they have them ) and check for "nests".

Stored sleds make good homes !

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyot @ Nov 20 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow...nice Grandma !

Before you pull the cord and turn the motor over again, remove the air boxes ( if they have them ) and check for "nests".

Stored sleds make good homes ![/b]
x's 2

Make sure you check them over before trying to start. This is what mice did to my bud's Z1 Turbo from just 1 month of being in an enclosed trailer:
[attachment=139664:nests_in_Turbo.jpg]

Nest went all the way down the side, over the clutch guard, in behind the cylinders, and under the motor.........

......and he didn't even CHARGE them rent...........

·
Registered
495 Posts
Might be late now but still worth the time to put some oil down the cylinders before pulling the motors over again.If sitting since 87 they will be very dry.Bad way to go about things if they are in that good of shape.Can ruin a cylinder just like that. Doug

·
Registered
11 Posts
you are so lucky. How about those pics? I stumbled upon a 70 Skidoo 399 Olympique 3 yrs. ago ridden 1 winter for $150. WHY did i have to sell that one! I am in Pa. and some guy near Canada drove down to pick it up. I need to find some Grandma's with a farm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Homer J @ Nov 21 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am in Canada and I purchased a Nordic for $100.oo but it wasn't yours!!!! :lol: I love being in the country.Lots of sled deals around here.[/b]
you are so lucky to live where there is snow! i love to sled and work on them. But i am in SE Pa. and winters here are getting softer every yr.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Edski, where ya from? I am in Montgomery, near williamsport. Have we met at a show or something?

·
Registered
435 Posts
nice find... easy nuff to work on. When ya get em home, post details on what all you need to know.. and pics please.... guys on here can give ya the info you need :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts