Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out on a bit of a limb here at but a deposit on the sled sight unseen. The seller is very forthcoming with info. He's told me it needs a new drive shaft bearing. Few other minor things...left side hand warmer not working. Sled has 5900 miles on it and looks to be in really good shape from the pics. I pick it up next week.

So what do I need to know about this sled? This will be my first with power valves and flat slide carbs. We don't have any snow now and I doubt we'll be getting anymore before the end of the season so I'll have lots of time to tinker with it.

Here is a couple of pics from the ad.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nice sled, looks sharp, I'm very partial to the black cross country ZR's.

Bearings are common maintenance, hand warmer could be simple. They're fun
sleds to ride and are great on trails if the suspension is setup properly.

Find out when/if the top end was rebuilt, 5900 miles is getting high if it has never been done. If it has been done find out what pistons were put in it, if they were wiseco then read up on them for properly warming the engine before riding.

Take the summer and go thru the sled really well to be sure everything is good to go, especially the rear skid. The bolts have a tendency to loosen and egg out the holes in the rails, find out the last time the shocks were rebuilt and maybe you'll need to do those also.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked about the rebuild and the guy I'm buying it from doesn't know. He's had it for 3 years and says he has only put about 200 miles on it and it's always ran great. He didn't know if it had been rebuilt before he got it or not. I'll just have to keep an eye on the compression and if it starts to go bad I'll rebuilt it.

I'll go over the rear suspension when I have it out to do the drive shaft bearing.

One other thing the seller mentioned that I missed was he said the clutch was slow to disengage and he thought the springs needed to be cleaned. Would he be talking about the secondary? If so what springs would he be talking about.

The other thing that concerns me is the power valves. I've read about all the trials and tribulations involving them. Cleaning, shimming etc. I've read where some say you can't shim them on a 500 and some say you can. They were old posts from a different forum so I'm sure things have changed since then. What is the latest on the 500 power valves to keep things running properly and not having the engine self destruct?

Thanks,

Dave

·
5,963 Posts
Keep them clean(every 800-1000 miles), Make sure that to use a good Oil. I don't think that you can shim the 500's. when you go over it take of both clutches and Clean them, Take out the weights and Put new bushings in them, get rid of all the belt dust ect. Solid sleds. My parents have a 02 Zr 500 And i like it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Definitely take apart and clean the clutches with brake cleaner and replace the bushings in the primary and any other worn pieces. Springs could be worn out but most likely its very dirty and that will cause it to hang up also, belt dust collects on and in them.

I don't think you can whim the valves on the 500 but I'm not positive but keep them clean of deposits and carbon and keep the cables clean and use full synthetic oil, cat obviously recommends the apv oil for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts