Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy said he had it set up for out west i'm in wisconsin which is a big difference he was running around 280 jets i was lookin for 340 would i be abile to just swap them out or do i have to re-tune for it also?

·
Registered
451 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simons3z @ Nov 18 2009, 02:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
guy said he had it set up for out west i'm in wisconsin which is a big difference he was running around 280 jets i was lookin for 340 would i be abile to just swap them out or do i have to re-tune for it also?[/b]
280's? I seriously doubt it unless he was riding on the moon. Take it for what it is worth but stock jets for a 800 are 430's. Stock 01 800 MTN CAT jets are 350. For typical WI riding I would not go lower than 410 on that motor until I looked at wash and plug reading. I would also verify the needles are stock as well as the CDI.

There should be a jetting chart on the air box lid, take a look at that for additional reference if you don't have the book.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re checked it it would be 420-430 sorry about that, even though if i changed from a 350 to a 420 or 430 would i need to re calibrate\tune? also what is cdi?

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I bought my zr, it had 420's in it. I live in Michigan, and I am assuming that you probably have the same altitude, or close to it, that we do. I went to 460's when I added my timing key and y pipe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mikeszr800 @ Nov 18 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When I bought my zr, it had 420's in it. I live in Michigan, and I am assuming that you probably have the same altitude, or close to it, that we do. I went to 460's when I added my timing key and y pipe.[/b]
timing is i think 1.5 differnce on mine with a single silencer i'll probly put 440s in to be safe..

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'd stay with the stock jetting from the cover as a starting point. As we see more ethanol being introduced running your jetting a bit fat can save you a motor.

Throw in a colder day, stop for fuel at mom and pops and you risk a burn down.

The 8's and 9's don't seem to mind being a bit fat from a performance perspective and typically the mag is the hottest hole so you can even take that up 10 and go staggered.

I run 10 fatter from stock (440) on my 9 and use TPI's to lean her out on good fuel and warm days.

I used to run 420's but found the my wash was inconsistent day to day - same conditions so I upped it to be safe and then to 440's and TPI's. Works from -30 to +8 C like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scott S @ Nov 19 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd stay with the stock jetting from the cover as a starting point. As we see more ethanol being introduced running your jetting a bit fat can save you a motor.

The 8's and 9's don't seem to mind being a bit fat from a performance perspective and typically the mag is the hottest hole so you can even take that up 10 and go staggered.

I run 10 fatter from stock (440) on my 9 and use TPI's to lean her out on good fuel and warm days.

I used to run 420's but found the my wash was inconsistent day to day - same conditions so I upped it to be safe and then to 440's and TPI's. Works from -30 to +8 C like that.[/b]
sorry just starting to get a perspective with the sled language what is TPI? i'll probly look at going stock also, anyway i can make sure that i'm running the correct fuel amount, would i just check the plugs?

·
Registered
492 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simons3z @ Nov 19 2009, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scott S @ Nov 19 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to run 420's but found the my wash was inconsistent day to day - same conditions so I upped it to be safe and then to 440's and TPI's. Works from -30 to +8 C like that.[/b]
sorry just starting to get a perspective with the sled language what is TPI? i'll probly look at going stock also, anyway i can make sure that i'm running the correct fuel amount, would i just check the plugs?
[/b][/quote]

By the chart is best. It is safe.

Watch your piston wash. Plugs you can also use but not as accurate. I use a small flex light in the plug hole to see the pistons.

TPI's are a small square inlet that installs into the airbox. There is a slide on the front that allows you to increase or decrease air flow form under the hood.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
piston wash would be? thanks for the help on the tpi's and plugs are easy enough to do. guy also clutched it was going to take it to dealer but not sure if i should just keep whats in there, i believe its primary secondary springs diff helex not sure what else., i'll test it out then possibly go back to stock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i know what piston wash is, so change from high alt to low i can just change the main jet and be fine correct? sorry, rather be safe then sorry!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts