Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 06 a/c 650 v2 . id like to add a dynatek cdi and a k&n air filter so i can get it up to par with the brute force .
i know these engines are tuned down compared to the brutes.

my question is , if i add the dynatek and k&n ,will i need to rejet the carbs? ive heard people say that you dont have to with dynatek .the same has been said about the k&n filters but what about both together?

the quad only has 135 hrs on it . ive went thru it and cleaned the carbs and adjusted the valves ,ect.

btw. is the dynatek realy all they say it is?

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
yes the dynatek is any improvement and you should notice it. I wouldn't waste money on a K&N. The oem foam style works great. Make sure it's clean and oiled properly. FYI don't over oil. No you won't need to rejet unless you snorkel with 2" pipe.

FYI: It's not a brute motor it's a praire motor. Similar and share some parts, but not the same. I'm not sure if it has less power or not vs. a 650 BF. The cat is a lot bigger/ heavier ATV. Plus BF have lower gearing. I wouldnt' race a BF but I'll take me cat in most other ATV activities. Mud, climb, work, plow, tow, haul.....

FYI #2: Use low range for everything but high speed riding. Saves the wear and tear on the belt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. this is my first cat. i chose the a/c 650 v2 because i love the suspinsion and ground clearance and the shear torque of the vtwin engine. the quad is 100% stock.
the only thing i plan on doing is adding the dynatek cdi and a set of 26'' maxxis bighorns and maybe some wheels if i can find a good deal on a used set.

i have a couple more questions .

whats a good foam filter oil to use or equevelant ?
what type/brand of oil do these engines like ?

thanks so much for the response

·
Registered
664 Posts
The Dynatek is good for a near 5 HP gain, and much more low end. Factory SRA Brute 650 is right at 45 HP, the Cat V2 is 41. The only difference is timing and CDI.

Ow-40 synthetic oil. I run Mobil 1. 2 Quarts when fully drained. I usually add 1.5 and fill up from there. Check the oil with the dipstick screwed all the way in and engine cooled.

I run ow-40 oil on the filter as well. Spray or spread it on. It doesn't need much.

With 26's you won't have many belt issues, but still keep it in low. 45 mph is possible in low gear with these. They are geared pretty tall, even with 4.0 differentials.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ive used mobile 1 0w40 in all my polaris 400/500's with great results .

is the mobile 1 0w40 a good oil for gear mesh in the v2's?
does it stand up good under gear shearing from the internal gear mesh?

ive noticed that arctic cat recomends 0w40 acx oil and it claims to have low shearing qualities.
is the mobile 1 0w40 synthetic equevalant to the 0w40 acx synthetic?
is the mobile 1 0w40 that you guys run the automotive full synthetic?
i trust all you guys opinion when it comes to oil and thats why i ask .
sorry for so many questions

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I run cat oil but next I think is going to br shell rotella like doorfx runs. T6 synthetic I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
thanks for the info. this is my first cat. i chose the a/c 650 v2 because i love the suspinsion and ground clearance and the shear torque of the vtwin engine. the quad is 100% stock.
the only thing i plan on doing is adding the dynatek cdi and a set of 26'' maxxis bighorns and maybe some wheels if i can find a good deal on a used set.

i have a couple more questions .

whats a good foam filter oil to use or equevelant ?
what type/brand of oil do these engines like ?

thanks so much for the response
I use a UNI filter and would recommend them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
3200 miles and 400 hours. I've only ran Mobil 1 0w-40. No issues to mention. I've removed transmission gears for maintenance and upgrades... the removed gears were in excellent condition.

Mobil 1 makes good oil, imo.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
I've got a DYNOJET kit for that brand new if your interested.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
What's a dynojet kit and what does it do?
Does any one have a dynatek cdi for sell?
It's a performance jet kit for the carbs. I also have some epi performance clutch springs.
Technology Electronic device

Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
It will help. Pm jfred he is knowledgable in the v2

·
Registered
664 Posts
The Dynatek takes the lower speed RPM limiter off completely, and advances timing throughout the power band. It's good for about a 5 HP gain, which is immediately noticeable. A V2 without a Dynatek isn't fun to drive at all. A V2 with one is a wheelie machine.

They usually run rich from the factory, a jet kit can help this and/or increasing factory air flow. I would install the Dynatek and then see how it runs. More than likely it will still be a bit rich, as these motors are very restricted from the factory.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info . I got my tusk trilobite hd tires mounted today. I really like the way they look on the quad.it looks tuff now. I also fabricated a full skid plate out of 1/4 inch aluminum . I was surprised to see that it only had a flemsy plastic skid plate. Ill post some pics as soon as I get a chance. am saving some cash to buy a dynatek and a decent winch.

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
That stock skid plate is tough as nails!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually put the aluminum plate over the plastic one.
It would be my worst nightmare to have a rock puncture my engine or diff cases. I might be over doing it a bit but I guess you can never have too much protection .

One other question I have is .
On the diff fluid. Do I fill it with the recomended amount that the manual says or do I fill it up to the fill plug?
I filled the rear up with 8.5 oz and the front with 9.3 oz. it put the level about 1 inch below the fill hole . Is that right?

·
Administrator
40,728 Posts
Just go 8 oz in both that way you wont pop seals

1 - 20 of 22 Posts