Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am new to this site and have been out of snowmobiling for a lot a years and I just made the plunge I bought a 2001 pantera 1000 I always wanted a 1000 thunder cat years ago and now with the wife this is the best of both worlds sled is in excellent condition I have owned a zrt 600 before I was wondering what the specs are on the engine hp torque top speed etc how big is the fuel tank what else should I know about this machine please reply thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 2000 model year which was stolen. I immediately bought a 2001. I absolutely loved that machine. It had 172 hp stock and will accelerate until your windshield folds inwards. Very comfortable ride as well. Make sure you stud it, its heavy and powerful.
I remember the only downfall with these sleds was some play in the steering. There is an aftermarket heavy duty steering crank with a grease nipple that corrects this. For a couple of hundred bucks, it tightens the steering perfectly.
Enjoy the machine. I still with they made new ones, I would definitely buy another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I loved mine so much (Bought an '00 brand new in spring '99) that I bought an '01 (w/ 1,214 miles) in 2015, now I got two! Stud it ... Or better yet (if it still has the original .75 lug track) get a pre-studded Ice Ripper w/ 1.25" lugs. I did that to the '01 and on the '00 I extended the track to 144" (144" Ice Attak pre-studded, 1.22" lugs). These things are fast, warm, really smooth running (counterbalancer w/ 3 cylinders) and last forever if you maintain them. I changed out rings, pistons, top end gaskets on the '00 at 13,500 miles, it's got over 17,000 miles on it now (bone stock except for V-forces and a Tempa flow which REALLY makes an improvement in MPG).
Top speed I see 105 to 110 on hardpack, (But honestly, I never pinned it and held it to see what it could do all wound out) and
image4.JPG
JAN.7'17-1.JPG
the tank is 13 (U.S.) gallons.
Here's a little story I posted on HCS a few years back:
"One of my buddies has an ’08 REV XP 800 Powertek. When ‘doo came out w/ the XP chassis I thought “That’s what I want”, all liteweight ‘n stuff. So we swapped rides one day. It was about for 20 minutes – I’m riding the XP and thinking “what a rough sounding piece – so un-refined!!”. The wind blast felt like it wanted to push me off the seat. And it constantly feels like it’s gonna tip over in turns. We stop and my buddy’s walkin’ up with a **** eating grin on his face, saying stuff like “Wow, it’s so quiet and smooth … And warm!! And fast!!!” Like “I can’t be going fast if it’s not all noisy and ****” – Then he looked at the speedo! So that was my final vindication. Not only is this thing a keeper, I think I’m gonna start a collection of T-Cats and P1000’s – “From my cold dead hands”.
Lemme know if you want to know more ...

Laters!

Rod

·
Registered
302 Posts
I remember the only downfall with these sleds was some play in the steering. There is an aftermarket heavy duty steering crank with a grease nipple that corrects this. For a couple of hundred bucks, it tightens the steering perfectly.
Enjoy the machine. I still with they made new ones, I would definitely buy another.
Do you have a link for the above HD steering crank? Please check out my post entitled " A cure for loose steering"

·
Registered
302 Posts
I loved mine so much (Bought an '00 brand new in spring '99) that I bought an '01 (w/ 1,214 miles) in 2015, now I got two! Stud it ... Or better yet (if it still has the original .75 lug track) get a pre-studded Ice Ripper w/ 1.25" lugs. I did that to the '01 and on the '00 I extended the track to 144" (144" Ice Attak pre-studded, 1.22" lugs). These things are fast, warm, really smooth running (counterbalancer w/ 3 cylinders) and last forever if you maintain them. I changed out rings, pistons, top end gaskets on the '00 at 13,500 miles, it's got over 17,000 miles on it now (bone stock except for V-forces and a Tempa flow which REALLY makes an improvement in fuel economy.

What is a Tempa flow, and how much did it effect your fuel economy?
I have a '99 Pantera 580. It's a pretty quick sled, for what it is [old school two stroke engine, with EFI ]. Can't imagine a 1000 in one, might want to get a stronger seat back rest for your passenger!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here's a little story I posted on HCS a few years back:
"One of my buddies has an ’08 REV XP 800 Powertek. When ‘doo came out w/ the XP chassis I thought “That’s what I want”, all liteweight ‘n stuff. So we swapped rides one day. It was about for 20 minutes – I’m riding the XP and thinking “what a rough sounding piece – so un-refined!!”. The wind blast felt like it wanted to push me off the seat. And it constantly feels like it’s gonna tip over in turns. We stop and my buddy’s walkin’ up with a ** eating grin on his face, saying stuff like “Wow, it’s so quiet and smooth … And warm!! And fast!!!” Like “I can’t be going fast if it’s not all noisy and **” – Then he looked at the speedo! So that was my final vindication. Not only is this thing a keeper, I think I’m gonna start a collection of T-Cats and P1000’s – “From my cold dead hands”.
Lemme know if you want to know more ...

Laters!

Rod
I do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
ejowrench:

What is a Tempa flow, and how much did it effect your fuel economy?
I have a '99 Pantera 580. It's a pretty quick sled, for what it is [old school two stroke engine, with EFI ]. Can't imagine a 1000 in one, might want to get a stronger seat back rest for your passenger!

Tempa flow is only for carbed machines - It taps into carb air intake flow and applies a vacuum to the float bowls. The vacuum applied varies - More vacuum as the outside temp warms up and less vacuum as temps drop. The vacuum restricts fuel flow thru the jets so it's automatic jetting changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts