Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you guys. This isn't a arctic cat it's just a electrical question. If the lighting coil ohms out should I be getting power to my lights? If all the other wires ohm out except for the tail light ground would that cause an issue? I don't have any lights working and I'm running out of options. The vintage sled sight I belong to isn't helping me at all

·
Registered
128 Posts
in general a lighting coil should measure 1-3 ohms measured from the yellow ( usually ) to the engine itself. if there is high resistance like 1k ohm or open the lighting coil may be bad or a wire broken. in some old sleds the chassis is the ground and there is a ground wire from the engine harness supposed to be attached to the chassis to complete this circuit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Originally this sled didn't have a ground wire to the motor unless it's inside. It just has one going to the chassis

·
Registered
128 Posts
what sled , year and what motor would make it easier to know. there is almost always a ground wire from inside the motor attached to the stator plate that comes out along with the yellow and blue wires, this ground then attaches to the chassis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like I said it's not a AC. It's a 75 boa ski with a kohler 440. And yes it does ground out to the chassis. Everyone on this site is awesome and I figured I'd ask and see what happens

·
Registered
128 Posts
I saw your post on VS, no many posting there as much anymore, its too bad. if it is a points ignition im sure it is a bosch ignition. same thing used in lots of sled of the Boa Ski's vintage. the Kohler is a very good motor. if you have a mark 2 model it should be a K440-2AX motor. its a points ignition motor. if it is the K440-2as motor it is electronic ignition , here is a page with an engine manual but its only showing the elctronic ignition version wiring. 6x6 World - Kohler Engine Owners Manuals

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so everything is ohming out. No power to the lights. Could the lighting coil be dirty on the inside not creating power? I'm assuming if I'm getting ohms then everything is connected and no breaks right?

·
Registered
128 Posts
it is either the wiring inside the stator housing or the lighting coil. there are two types generally of these lighting coils. some shold have 1-2 ohms to ground from each yellow and the other type only have resistance between the two yelows. in the later case one of the yellow wires needs to get grounded and the other makes power. cant say for all of these but the floating type have yellow with a green stripe . you may need to pull the mag off and look closely at the stator.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your help motorman. I ripped it all apart everything looks good I'm no pro by any means. I put it all back together haven't started it yet but we'll see. If nothing works it'll just be day riding I guess. But at least he can still ride it and really that's all he's worried about

1 - 14 of 14 Posts