Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sled was ridin like crap so i took it apart and found that 1 piston was ripped apart and had a bunch of shrap, so it cooked the cylinder with it. the other piston was cracked but no damage was dont to the other cylinder.
my question is should i take apart my lower end?
is it really worth it?
if so how?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just out of curiosity do you know why it failed? And how many miles are on the sled? What oil did you run? and how did you store it? I have the same engine and was advised by the dealership to replace pistons at 5000 miles to prevent problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i couldnt tell you the main reason of why it failed but it has 4400 on it so that had to be a good chunk of the problem. I ran arctic cat oil, buth chain case and 2 cylce oil. i stored it in a barn, on top of a piece of plyboard so the track wouldnt dry rot.
ive heard the same thing about replacing at 5000 though.
its not a hard thing to do, but the lower end is alot more complicated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 01' ZR6 too. Motor had to be rebuilt at 4,500 miles. The locating pin for the rings is what fails on these pistons, and always in the neighborhood of 4,000 or so miles. I have heard this from everyone that has a 600 with that kind of miles that did not do a preventitive top end before 4,000.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (triknologist @ Nov 19 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 01' ZR6 too. Motor had to be rebuilt at 4,500 miles. The locating pin for the rings is what fails on these pistons, and always in the neighborhood of 4,000 or so miles. I have heard this from everyone that has a 600 with that kind of miles that did not do a preventitive top end before 4,000.[/b]
did you take apart the lower end?

·
Registered
153 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobby4141 @ Nov 19 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (triknologist @ Nov 19 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 01' ZR6 too. Motor had to be rebuilt at 4,500 miles. The locating pin for the rings is what fails on these pistons, and always in the neighborhood of 4,000 or so miles. I have heard this from everyone that has a 600 with that kind of miles that did not do a preventitive top end before 4,000.[/b]
did you take apart the lower end?
[/b][/quote] Same thing happenned to me, the ring spun and got caught in the exhaust port. I did not take apart the bottom end but they say you should.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah 600s have some piston issues, ive seen them go with as low as 1200 miles. If it got chewed up pretty bad and you want to continue to ride the sled id pull the bottom end out also, once you take the top end off, remove the air box and throttle bodies and their are 4 motor mounts and then the bottom end will come right out. The torque bumper on the clutch side makes it almost impossible to get the motor back cause one of the mounts is a stud that sticks out and its a pain in the ass to get it into position, so have a buddy or 2 around to help and some pry bars help also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts