Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how to fix my sled. While backing up and letting off the gas it sometimes jumps out of reverse. Do I lengthen the adjustable rod or shorten it, or is it something else?

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Has it ever gone the extra step and slammed into forward when it jumped out of reverse?

Is there any metal on the magnet at the end of the inspection plug?

If there's lots of metal, remove the bottom gear assembly in the chaincase. You will find one gear has 3 spring-loaded pins that mesh with 3 of the 6 holes in the other gear.

If it only jumps out of reverse it might not be so bad, but it usually slams right into forward. When this happens, it will chip the edges of the 3 spring loaded pins and the edges of the 6 holes in the reverse gear. This is when you will find metal on the magnet. If they're heavily chipped, you need to replace those parts.

The part of the shifter linkage with two ball joints at each end are connected with a rod that has a left hand thread on one end, and right hand thread on the other. Loosen the lock nuts on the rod between the two ball joints of the shifter mechanism. If you turn the shaft one way, it makes the entire assembly longer, turn it the other way, it makes the assembly shorter. This is how you adjust the shift.

Remove the inspection plug. Find a means to measure from the outer chaincase to the lower gear inside the inspection plug hole. Measuring from the outside of the chaincase through the inspection plug hole, adjust the reverse shift throw for .6" of movement on the the lower moveable gear.

I wish I had my manual here, Cat sells a measuring tool for this purpose. But if you don't have the tool, it's .6".

·
Registered
50 Posts
The measurement of the "tool" to measure the throw of the lever is 1 13/16" and I believe it is supposed to move 0.5 to 0.6 of an inch when engaged.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a matter of fact it has gone into forward a time or two. Will it be ok to run it once or twice more this year? Or will the metal fragments do harm or do they settle to the bottom of the case or get stuck to the magnet? It's starting to warm up out and we're losing snow and I'm afraid my riding days are numbered. If it's not ok then I'll park it till I get a chance to take it apart. We are just about finished remodeling the house now and I should be able to look at it closer in a week or two.

Thanx

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery is in the way and I can't see very good. Is the magnetic plug also the drain plug?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
As the hole in the plastic cover (the one the rod passes through) wears it's normal for em to pop outta reverse when you let up on the gas. On mine I never back up without a hand on the lever, adjusted to spec / no worn or damaged parts / pretty much done it since day one / now has well over 25,000 miles on it.
IMHO, only be concerned if it pops out under power.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Mar 5 2007, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As a matter of fact it has gone into forward a time or two. Will it be ok to run it once or twice more this year? Or will the metal fragments do harm or do they settle to the bottom of the case or get stuck to the magnet? It's starting to warm up out and we're losing snow and I'm afraid my riding days are numbered. If it's not ok then I'll park it till I get a chance to take it apart. We are just about finished remodeling the house now and I should be able to look at it closer in a week or two.

Thanx[/b]

As zr sled head mentioned, if it's under a lot of power when it pops back into forward, that's when it causes damage. If you're hardly moving with very little throttle, you might not get any damage at all. When it happened to me, I got some serious damage. I had to replace about $250 worth of parts.

I'd say drain the oil and refill with fresh stuff, even though the magnet is still buried in there, you might see a metallic sheen to the oil if there are any metal fragments present.

Sure, you can drive it without serious damage, but the wear rate on all parts will be higher with metal present in the oil.

How much wear? Probably not enough to ruin anything in a ride or two, but will eventually cost you some lifespan on something.

You may have no serious damage at all. I'd say pop the cover off as soon as convenient to inspect the parts.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll do just that when I get a chance and post what I find and let everyone know.

Thanx everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
When the snow is gone and you take it apart, look for chipping on pins #4, and chipping of the edges of the 6 holes on #12.

:chug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts