Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some comments on this site about jumping our Cats. I was surprised to read in one post that it was considered "stupid to be jumping a 4x4". Could somebody please explain this to me?

Thanks,
Daren

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I think the term "jumping" needs to be defined more clearly. To some, it's simply getting 1" of air between their tires and the ground. To others, it's 3' of air. In my opinion, the latter is VERY dangerous on utility (commonly referred to as 4x4 ATV's). You get a 700-800lb machine in the air and it's built on a tubular frame, and sooner or later something will give, I don't care who you are. Remember, when you come down after jumping anything, you don't have the vehicle's weight coming down...you have that plus all of the inertia it's built up as well. For instance, I'm 180lbs. If I jump 6" onto a scale and measure the most downward weight I've applied during that jump down, it would likely be clost to 250lbs if not more.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I agree with Sanny. I've seen pictures on here of people sky high off of jumps on their bikes, but if thats your style of riding I think you are much more suited to a 2 wheel drive sport bike. Although I don't mind catching a couple of inches of air I have no desire what so ever to be jumping my Utility bike 5 feet in the air. I personally just don't think they're made for that type of abuse. Everyone has their own opinion though and this is just mine.

Look here for an example - I know Fuzzy likes to jump his bike. (Sorry Scott not picking on you, just the first example that came to mind)......

Aaron

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
sure you can jump your bike all you want, get as much air as you dare. it is your bike ride it how ever you wish, but be aware that things are going to break.
if you do jump that high post some pics. also let us know how the repairs go.
btw mrsezg says, to wear a helmet

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
A sport quad weighs half as much as these utility quads, and their suspension is designed to be a LOT more forgiving for jumping and such. Utilities are designed for...well....utility work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the answers and discussion guys. I wasn't sure if the issue was simply the weight and design of our utility machines or the fact that they are 4x4.

The only jumping I have done and plan on doing are small jumps on designated ATV trails. Maybe a foot or less of air.

Thanks,
Daren

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The fact that it is 4x4 doesn't hold it back form getting big air. Its like what has been stated and that the chasis and suspension just isn't up to the lask of the harsh impact of landing the 700lbs+ ATV's. Though they will take some jumping but the limits are easily ment and when exceeded the outcome could be costly, as well as painful.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barnzilla @ Feb 4 2007, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree with Sanny. I've seen pictures on here of people sky high off of jumps on their bikes, but if thats your style of riding I think you are much more suited to a 2 wheel drive sport bike. Although I don't mind catching a couple of inches of air I have no desire what so ever to be jumping my Utility bike 5 feet in the air. I personally just don't think they're made for that type of abuse. Everyone has their own opinion though and this is just mine.

Look here for an example - I know Fuzzy likes to jump his bike. (Sorry Scott not picking on you, just the first example that came to mind)......

Aaron[/b]
i wouldnt care even if u was pickin on me

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say jumping with it in 4wd could be bad cause if the throttle isnt matched high enough to the speed you land at, EBS would cause you to endo and it would be like flapjacking 800lbs+ on you.

You would have to be a pretty hefty guy to control it in the air as well, because while jumping a machine there is a control factor. If you cant control it in the air by shifting weight, you might as well be duck taping the throttle down and letting it go.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree on the jumping and with that said, I feel that the Arctic Cat commercial where they basically jump the machine off of a 15' or so high cliff is pretty irresponsible. Their implication is that the cats are so tough it will take that kind of abuse, but if you did that and then took it in for warranty repairs, I bet they would change their tune!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts