Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so if you read below you know I don't have a stock machine. :) I put on a stock exhaust for the fall (hunting) and winter (Plowing and ice fishing). I got the jetting down where it's just a TAD rich, which is fine with me. However, the problem I'm having is at takeoff. If I jam the throttle from a dead stop, there's a 2 second delay....really bad. When it comes out of that, you best be hanging on as it becomes an absolute rocket. I have a 40 pilot, the PMS is 1.75 turns out with a 148 main and the DJ needle on the 4th clip.

I was on the 5th clip...too rich. 3rd clip was way too lean. 4th clip is just right.

The 42 pilot I had was too rich. The 40 is a stock pilot and it leaned it enough where it's now at 12 or so on my air/fuel gauge...a TAD rich, but not bad.

Adjusting the PMS has no effect on the lag whatsoever. I had zero lag with my SW pipe.

The question I have is that with the HC piston and cam, if I use a stock muffler is this something I'm just going to have to deal with when I have the stock exhaust on it? I'm almost wondering if it's just too much backpressure with that gear in the motor.

What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
sounds exactly like a to big main to me.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought too, but then when I leaned up the needle it got way too lean (referencing the gauge I have). Can I have a excessively large main jet and still be lean on the 1/4 to mid range? When I jab the throttle, I am not showing it running too lean on my gauge or too rich. In fact, there isn't much change (some yes, but not much).

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
yes it's possible to have to big a main and still be lean on the needle.

i will say that i nor anyone i know has tried to push that much motor threw a stock pipe though, thats alot of air coming in not wanting to go out. still i would back off the main a size and try it. that slight bog when pinned then rip is the feel i go for when jetting, then i back off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts