Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
my friend has one and he says it is very good..he has had extensive clutch work done to it.. he said it performs much better then the 06 t660 he rode last year.

should add that my friend has been riding since the 60's and gets a new sled almost every year..

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dad has a Jag and he loves it. He has 1300 miles on it. Perfromance off the line is great. He can get 90-95 MPH out of it and it is getting stronger after every mile. He gets about 15 MPG no matter how he runs it. It rides great and he also had an 05 T660 and never wants to ride it again. It is just as fast as a 600 2-stroke. As fad as durability he has had no issues at all. He never passes at an opportunity to talk about how great the Z1 is.

·
Registered
142 Posts
hey Dippy Dawg, how was the performance before the clutch work? I`ve read on some forums that the Z1 didnt have the "pull" the 660 has. I own a 05 660 Turbo, but I havent been lucky enough to ride a Z1 yet. I rode my wifes F5LXR and liked it a lot, was actually thinking about trading my 660 in on a leftover Z1. I love my machine, but the ride is nicer on the new chassis. Do the Z1`s have a 121 or 128 inch track?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like everyone is super happy with the jag.For the money I paid for it I wish I was but to be honst I'm not.I get tired riding it and i've tried all the adjustments dont know what to say.The wife feels the same way and I bought it for her.Cat replaced the ridefx shocks with the act gas believe it or not without one bitch,and they are definitely stiff riding not sure if that could be part of it or not.It seems like the skis are all over the place no matter what the snow and trail conditions are So im keeping my z900 and the wife will be back on her panther next year I guess the real winner is my daughter because we gave it to her and she loves it

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ptc109 @ Mar 9 2007, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Seems like everyone is super happy with the jag.For the money I paid for it I wish I was but to be honst I'm not.I get tired riding it and i've tried all the adjustments dont know what to say.The wife feels the same way and I bought it for her.Cat replaced the ridefx shocks with the act gas believe it or not without one bitch,and they are definitely stiff riding not sure if that could be part of it or not.It seems like the skis are all over the place no matter what the snow and trail conditions are So im keeping my z900 and the wife will be back on her panther next year I guess the real winner is my daughter because we gave it to her and she loves it[/b]

1st welcome call to Ridegreen:

it sounds like the shocks are valved to stiff.
also,..check the alingment of the skis.
and get a set of "Shaper bars" for it.
i bet you will notice a differance then.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The limiter strap needs to be taken up(shortened) to put more weight on the ski's. I've ridden them, and in my opinion they all come from the factory needing this adjustment. It will steer much better and you won't need to replace any thing else. It will improve the squirly feeling rear end too. Its an easy five minute job.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are a couple of options available for the Jag this year. There is now a Sno-Pro version available and also a Nightfire version [All black][spring order only] sweet. Just click on the Arctic Cat add at the top of the page.

·
Registered
83 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Red700Cat @ Mar 10 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There are a couple of options available for the Jag this year. There is now a Sno-Pro version available and also a Nightfire version [All black][spring order only] sweet. Just click on the Arctic Cat add at the top of the page.[/b]
Just a small correction...the Jaguar Z1 SnoPro IS the Nightfire. There's only 1 regular Z1 available (in green or black) and that's basically the LXR with out the adjustable windshield. No regular Z1 SnoPro available.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. Just over 1100 miles so far but pretty cool for my first 4 stroke sled. I'm looking at the TZ1 right now for my wife. The ride is great and I bet in the 128 if they keep it that way it will be even better. The power is different but right there with a 600 2 stroke for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Mar 12 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm looking at the TZ1 right now for my wife. The ride is great and I bet in the 128 if they keep it that way it will be even better.[/b]
FYI...The TZ1 has a 144" track. It's a 2-up sled.

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Mar 12 2007, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm very happy with mine. Just over 1100 miles so far but pretty cool for my first 4 stroke sled. I'm looking at the TZ1 right now for my wife. The ride is great and I bet in the 128 if they keep it that way it will be even better. The power is different but right there with a 600 2 stroke for sure.[/b]

if you dont mind me asking,............
what are you getting for fuel mileage??

also,..is there any vibration through the bars??
or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R-TICAT @ Mar 12 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Mar 12 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking at the TZ1 right now for my wife. The ride is great and I bet in the 128 if they keep it that way it will be even better.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Yup, my wife wants the two up for bringing the kids with us. She is getting to tall and hard for my wife to see over her helmet.

And yes why 144 not the old 136" ?? But, from reading the old Cat lit the old Panteras were 136 and about the same overall lenght of the new 144" anyone??

Alley Cat

about 15-17 mpg so far. But not bad compared to my wife's Sabercat she uses about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons more then me at each fill up and no oil for me.

And nothing as far as any vibration, this sled is very good I have to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:super_happy: I preordered a new Z1 after riding a dealers sled late last season for my wife. The sled has over 1500 miles and she says it is the best sled she has very ridden. She never tires from riding and it handles almost perfect. The sled also fits her like a glove as she is very short and has to sit forward to ride. This is her 15 cat so she understands sleds and their ride. I have only been on the sled for short distances but think I will order one for my self this spring. Was hoping for a turbo model as I ride a 700 but the sled has great pick up and runs better then most 600's. Milage is getting better with each ride and I think we are running about 16MPG at this time. A small issue with the sled is riding a very slow speeds like loading. Seems like it does not want to go and then just goes. Also had to reroute the throttle cable on the handlebars as it seem to want to pull out of the thumb control and then cut out. Reroute outside the handlebar cover and no problems. So with that said I would say it is one of the best cats made and after owing over 32 cats since 1971 I have seen a lot of sleds and done a lot of riding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Mar 13 2007, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R-TICAT @ Mar 12 2007, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Mar 12 2007, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Yup, my wife wants the two up for bringing the kids with us. She is getting to tall and hard for my wife to see over her helmet.

[/b][/quote]

I hear that...have the same issue with my daughter when she rides with me!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I put 83 miles on a Z1 dealer demo last week. Snow was limited and what was there was frozen pretty hard until after lunch. Even so, there were no overheating problems, which I found impressive. There was no shortage of power with a very nice rush in the last 1/8 throttle. No apparent vibration and handling did not feel much heavier then my F5. Very smooth and predictable from 30 MPH and up.

That's about all I can say good about the Z1. It was all down hill from there!

The low speed engine braking drove me nuts. At anything under 30 MPH the machine was jerking and bucking like a bronco. No mater how hard I tried to keep the throttle steady at low speed, it still was a hand full. I found it very tiring. Even coming up to a stop sign, the thing would lurch at anything under 30 MPH, as you slowed down. Loading on to a trailer or pulling in for gas was very annoying. I thought I would get used to it, but after 83 miles I was very happy to get off and get back on my F5.

It also had a crappy sound, especially at a steady speed. Not even close to being quite! Like a big deisel chugging up a hill; just kind of droning away! Gas mileage was only 2 MPG better then my F5, and with the smaller tank, the gauge was showing empty after my 83 mile jaunt. This doesn't happen until the 120 mile mark with my F5.

Overall I was not impressed. My idea of a 4 stroke is that they are supposed to be laid back and easy going. The Z1 was more like trying to control an open mod 440, at anything under 30 MPH. Once you got it out in the open and could let it go, it was fine. I could not see any reason to fork out an extra 4 thousand bucks for the Z1. In fact, I am very grateful that I did not. My advice would be to not buy one until you ride one. Close your mind to all of the maketing B.S. and take one out for the day.

One thing the demo ride did do, was make me very appreciative of my F5. It is as smooth as silk and as quiet as a church mouse, compared to the Z1. I am not that impressed with Cat's new 4 stroke. I think it's a step backwards!

Redd

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds to me like something was not quite right with the Z1 you were riding. I've never heard anyone say they had issues with jerkyness or that a Z1 was loud. Find a different Z1 and give it another try.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Anybody else have these issues that Redd speaks of?? I have one ordered.... but if it does all that maybe I need a F8 instead??

Everything I had heard till now was positive??? Any input JAG owners??

Mainly concerned about the slow speed jerking??? The sound I could care less about, it's like looks.... everyone has their own opinion!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dewalt: Sorry. Didn't mean to alarm anyone, but if you haven't ridden a Z1, you might not like it. Mind you, given enough seat time you can get used to almost anything! Let me explain further.

I am the type of rider that takes it pretty easy. I seldom use the brakes on any snowmobile. I coast into corners and up to stop signs. I accelerate smoothly out of corners, prefering to cause the least impact on the trail and maximize fuel economy. I am out there for the pure pleasure of enjoying a beautiful winters day and to escape the hectic events of the world around me. The last thing I want to do is go as fast as I possibly can and race from point A to B on my snowmobile. I get enough of that crap at work!

Under these conditions I found the Z1 to be a pain in the butt. That is a big honkin 4-stroke twin. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that it has a considereable amount of engine braking. Cat has done their best to try and control it with their anti-engine braking technology, but when the RPM and ground speed drop, the laws of physics take over. There is engine braking. BIG TIME!!

You notice it the most below 20 MPH. The very speed at which you want things to be slow, smooth and steady. Going thru town to get gas; loading on to a trailer, pulling a sleigh with your Grandchildren aboard; teaching someone how to ride a snowmobile; cruising thru the bush at 20 MPH while enjoying the scenery; breaking trail in a foot of powder while winding thru trees that are rubbing the sides of your skiis. Anything that requires a slow steady pace is a pain in the butt with this machine.

Even coasting to a stop, the Z1 goes into a soft learching mode, under 30 MPH. Similar to your sliders being hot and sticky. I checked them several times. It was NOT the sliders.

Then there is the sound. I wouldn't exactly call it loud, just crappy. However, when I came home for lunch my wife observed how noisy that new machine was. "I never hear you come into the yard on yours". Like I said before, at steady speeds it sounds like a big diesel pulling up a long steep grade. At idle it sounds like your riding lawnmower. SWEET!!

You really do have to ride one. You might love it and not understand a thing I am talking about. Everyone is spewing out the same marketing B.S. that Cat is throwing at us. Most people are not very objective when they have just laid out several grand. It makes them feel better if you make the same mistake as them. Not that there is anything actually wrong with the Z1; you just have to consider the characteristics of such a huge 4-stroke twin. We consider 800, 900, 1000 twins to be the norm, even in 2-strokes. It wasn't that long ago that 600cc's was a huge twin!

I was thinking of upgrading to one next year(almost bought one this year), but I am very glad I rode one first. When you get right down to it, why would you spend an extra couple of grand on this machine. Gas mileage not much better; range considerably less because of small gas tank; nasty to control under 20 mph; 75 lbs or more heavier when you get it stuck; sounds like a tank; probably won't start when it is really cold. You might have better luck with reliability and long life, but how long are you going to keep it anyway? Two years from now you will be trading it on the next new idea.

I am not purposely trying to piss people off. Don't listen to me, Arctic Cat or anyone else(especially someone that owns one). Just get you hands on one for the day and put 100 miles on it, before buying. That's all I am saying!

Redd

1 - 20 of 46 Posts