Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have disconnected the throttle safety switch system, and was experiencing no difficulties with my Jag. This problem seems to have Returned. I have no spark with ignition on or off, if i turn key to on pull a few times, and then turn the key off, the sled will backfire. Have pulled plug, and it seems the power is being held back until the load on the system is released. Would this indicate that i need to do CDI or coil replacement, both? I have checked my grounds and they are all clean and securely fastened, all electrical is plugged in securely, plug wires are good and tight, have tried several sets of brand new plugs, all are having this same problem, and i am going absolutely insane trying to get this machine to work properly!!! bang your head badcomputer :angry: I dunno :cold: eekkk :fiddle :bs: :sos:

Thanks

Kurt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unplug the key switch (don't jump any of the connections) and try to start it. If that doesn't work you probably have a bad kill switch.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What year is the Jag? I have an 90 and it runs great. I have had issues with the saftey switch on the throttle block and I have also had issues with the wiring harness and the connections that are sort of mid way down the steering post.

I have also had to replace my key switch as it died (the contacts basically rotted off inside)(I dismantled it for curiosity sake).

This is where I would start (key switch). I had a 92 and 93 jags as well and one of those also needed a key switch. They were delux models so I nearly had a stroke when they told me how much the replacement was LOL.

Ben

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bypassing ignition and killswitch still didnt fix the intermittent spark problem. Whats more likely, CDI or coil? or perhaps replace them both?!? I have checked and cleaned all electrical, have cleaned and refastened ground wires, so its a 99% guarantee that its not wiring related unless i have a cracked wire?!?!?

thanks

kurt bang your head

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have two 79 jags and 2 78 panteras and 1 working cdi between the bunch the one cdi i have thats bad will cause that same problem on any of them , I did find in a good old fit of rage shat by smacking the bad cdi with a screwdriver HARD it will resume its functions for a while. so if you want get a different cdi i bet it fires right up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep... have done the smack coil and CDI have it work for 5 minutes and start acting up again problem, thing is that works once in a day, and once it starts failins spark, it will only run for very short intervals of time before losing spark, the break in time long enough to pull it 4-5 times lets is reset its self long enough to start it up start to rev it, or let it idle for a few seconds and die again. As for the OHM meter, i think ill pass, I think at this point ill just try a CDI, if that doesnt work then i highly suspect i have a bad spot in my wiring harness...

thanks all

kurt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts