Arctic Cat Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
You need some pics of it out in the snow when you get a chance to ride it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember my 1st jag, ooooh deeeeear me the good old days. I can't stand this "EFI" stuff these kids prance around town in now.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
you clearly wouldn't know a well made sled if you saw one..... you can't tag a JAG!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
we rode a quick bean field 500 tonight' BIG CAT 08 and I.... Everything felt awesome but the ole JAG's top speed wasn't up to par. I'm running the spx secondary so this isn't much of a surprise. do I try re working this clutch or buy an indy trail clutch... hell I don't know maybe I need a sprocket change. I'm not picky about perfect performance everywhere but i need more top end. any advice?

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
How many tooth drivers are on it. What does it have for gearing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
eee... I don't know! I disassembled the case in July and never paid mind to it. I'll get it... I'm sure it's stock.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I'm sure it's 39 and 20.. it topped out at 40mph (dream meter) and the fanner was running 7000 rpm (seems right]) well run it with a phone app but I'm sure the gauge is close. again it's an spx secondary. the indy trail clutches are universal across many Polaris models. the spx clutch was year and model specific. I don't know enough about clutches to determine if the trail clutch would make a difference.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
it's stock indy trail primary and Polaris 680 Spx secondary. I get it.. the spx probably turns 12k rpms.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I just installed the helix and spring from the indy trail. the clutches are the same other than them 2 items. I picked up 500 rpm but my speedo stayed at 40mph.. I'll have to download a speedo app. the ole jag gauge is probably rusted up on anything past 40.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm completely PC illiterate so bare with me..I have a 1976 jag that I got running last year and had a bit of fun in the snow until I realized it was completely horrid compared to any other snowmobile.. I knew I would have to change it up for this winter. give me your advice on where I need to take this. there's a rebuilt 488 polaris engine waiting to be dropped in.
Dude i gotta say that jag is awesome. Im in the process of building a 92 prowler special i installed a xtra 10 skid vm38 carbs from a storm track from a skimadoo and seat from a rev. Love seeing these oldies repurposed

·
Registered
30 Posts
the rev seat is just sitting on until the weekend when i can pull it back in and work some more. The xtra 10 skid was a awesome update as well as the bigger carbs. I wanted to have the wildcat motor insalled by now but have not had the time. To much to do not enough time

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thank you Eddie for the compliment! although I've worked hard on it, it's high time I admit that I'll have to eat some crow. as trp97 and 660 cat have mentioned earlier the skid is not correct. hopefully I won't turn the tunnel into a strainer.. everything else has went awesome.. I'll get it dialed in sooner or later. I definitely wish I had an xtra10 for it. much less work. i really never thought the rear skid would be more work than putting ifs on front... I'll keep all posted! maybe snow on sat!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hey! and never stop "one upping"yourself on the prowler. figure other ways to do things people don't do to these old girls. I'd love to do some cool stuff to an old John Deere after the jag is tied up..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I forgot to give a bit of a post ride update. there were a couple kinks to work out, but once the ole girl was all tied up it ran great! I've got close to 20 miles on it and garnered a top speed (so far) of around 60mph. I don't cut her any slack and beat it across ditches and fields. if its going to break it best do it close to home. id like to close up some holes and make the body look a bit more purdy.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts