Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed before, but I have not found a solution for my issue yet. I've got a 95' jag deluxe 440 that is running rough. I already got a new belt, plug caps, and plugs. It will idle fine, but as soon as you start driving it, it misfires and cuts out, especially when you hit bumps or going up hills. I have seen that it could be the tss from other forums, but my carb doesn't have a wire coming out of it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would preliminarily start by cleaning carbs, checking the whole fuel system. fuel pump, lines, and work my way toward the coil and ignition. check all grounds and wiring connectors. do all this in order from easiest to hardest.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you could also bypass the whole kill switch circuit. download a schematic and disconnect kill (with a jumper wire ready to ground out)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have new fuel lines, and pump. The wires and connectors seem fine. What am I looking for, when checking the coil and ignition?

·
Registered
170 Posts
you can download a service manual to check the resistance of the coil. I usually just make sure that either side isn't shorted to ground, if not and i still suspect the coil then i just replace it, their usually cheap. I'd be more interested in free fixes. in your manual or online get an electric schematic. one at a time bypass your kill switch and then your key tumbler, see if it still cuts out. if it still cuts out id be pulling the carbs and cleaning the jets. from your description I probably dive right into the carbs. I'm assuming that you have already done a compression test?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you pull on the rope and your headlight doesn't start to come on ...
Weak spark :my jag after 20 pulls back fired ( ended up the Stator ) $160..
This season no spark..the wires un connected behind the key switch after I put a new choke lever in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't done a compression test, but I've always had good spark on it. I'll have to get to work on the carb when I have the time. Thanks for the info, I'll repost if I figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem fixed! I simply bypassed the Throttle Safety Switch (tss) at the handle bars. This isn't exactly the safest fix, but it fixed my back firing. I used a 2 prong connector with the pigtail wires spliced together. Hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem fixed! I simply bypassed the Throttle Safety Switch (tss) at the handle bars. This isn't exactly the safest fix, but it fixed my back firing. I used a 2 prong connector with the pigtail wires spliced together. Hope this helps someone in the future.
I ran the wires through the handle bar to hide them of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts