Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else having issue with jackshaft bolt falling out. 200 miles bolt fell out wrecked a numerous of other components and panels. Dealer said lock tite and hadnt touched bolt since fell out two weekends ago again. Havent talk to dealer so mad with there snotty attitude collecting all Arctic Cats warranty repair bills. 1300 miles and 2 times bolt falling out needing tow job, brakes broke due to oil line wear, servo motor wire fell off, hand warms went, clutch went, hole wearing in oil resivoir from side panel, flooded after transportation 30 pulls/start to get goin. But yet I can ride with 2005 models looked under hood once. What kind of crap is this? Found out though good to know program out there if product keeps failing for the same reason and no proper solution, and AC doesn't want to do anything about it some areas have some legislation and rulings against defective product

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
My jackshaft bolt did the same thing a couple times. There is a federal law concerning warranty. If a new product is bought and has required multiple warranty repairs it becomes a breech of warranty case. New products to a point are supposed to be dependable. I never found the fix for the jackshaft bolt. I sold the sled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My jackshaft bolt did the same thing a couple times. There is a federal law concerning warranty. If a new product is bought and has required multiple warranty repairs it becomes a breech of warranty case. New products to a point are supposed to be dependable. I never found the fix for the jackshaft bolt. I sold the sled.
Ya I hear of this happening and for years prior looking at some forums. My dealer basically said that in life you get lemons and just have to put up with it. Like what the heck is that. If this is what AC thinks about it and there standing behind that to that is b.s. I bought new so I didnt have to worry about it. If I wanted to fix something I would have bought from a salvage. Also what they are waiting for I think is for me to have to change a belt in the field cause then at that point I am then liable for damages after. Basically what I gather from there conversations. I really hope it does fall out again cause then consumer services said they would have a proper case and help everyone else out with this problem also.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
In the summer I work on race cars. We never have any bolts fall out. How? We safety wire them, stronger than any locktite. If there is an issue and the dealer won't fix it if it were mine that's what I would do, it will never come out again unless it's snapping off. If your side panel is wearing a hole in a Mag cover take a tin snips and a die grinder and take something off of it. Now if you choose not to do that then it will be taking it back to the dealer again and again for both issues. Sometimes ya just gotta do it yourself. But those are two things that will never happen again if it were mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty hard to compare to a race car. This bolt is part of the secondary belt drive. No way to wire or mess with when its suppose to be field removable to replace belt. In if your in the mountains the garage isn't a quick drive

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Pretty hard to compare to a race car. This bolt is part of the secondary belt drive. No way to wire or mess with when its suppose to be field removable to replace belt. In if your in the mountains the garage isn't a quick drive

That bolt doesn't care if it's a car or a sled, you just safety wire it, it's not that hard, To remove it in the field you cut the wire, change the belt and re-wire it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daytona

Mine has fallen out twice already. I have 2600 miles on now. Last one fell out about 700 miles ago and dealer put locktite on it. Seems to be okay now, but I keep checking it. Pain in the ass. Had healight issue also. Burnt out bulb already and not warranty covered. 60 bucks for a bulb. This is my second cat. Had a 2009 Crossfire. 6000 miles and not one problem. Thank god for the extended warranty on these. All the recall issues have been a pain in the ass also. Especially when you have to drive an hour to get to your dealer. After my warranty is done, this sled is gone. It is just that simple. I am going back to a Ski Doo 800 GSX. Cat needs to get it together on this new chassis. Motors are flawless, but all the rest is Cat Scrap! Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has fallen out twice already. I have 2600 miles on now. Last one fell out about 700 miles ago and dealer put locktite on it. Seems to be okay now, but I keep checking it. Pain in the ass. Had healight issue also. Burnt out bulb already and not warranty covered. 60 bucks for a bulb. This is my second cat. Had a 2009 Crossfire. 6000 miles and not one problem. Thank god for the extended warranty on these. All the recall issues have been a pain in the ass also. Especially when you have to drive an hour to get to your dealer. After my warranty is done, this sled is gone. It is just that simple. I am going back to a Ski Doo 800 GSX. Cat needs to get it together on this new chassis. Motors are flawless, but all the rest is Cat Scrap! Good Luck!
Word for word same crap with mine. Bolt falling out twice and now right headlight acting up or burnt out. Just garbage I tell ya. Quick hint though if bolt falls out again contact consumer services. I hate complaining to dealer cause they dont care and contacting AC cause they dont either. I think if a few people get on board with this issue they might actually do something about it. Ski doo probably my next purchase since they have walked all over me in the field and towed me quite well.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I have some things wired on my sled. There is a side cutter, vice grips and safety wire in my tool bag. Takes a second to re-wire it. If you'd like I will drill and wire my secondary bolt on my ZR and take a pic of it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daytona

Thanks for your reply. I have to say,my dealer has been good. He knows there is a problem and he has contacted Cat. Hopefully they have a recall and this is corrected properly. They presently have a bunch of those bolts on Backorder at the dealer. What does that tell you? Another thing is, last time bolt fell out, the ends of the threads were pooched. I could not get it back in. I was done and ready for a tow. Now that pisses me off!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well was nice not to have to back on here for some time now. Traded in my last 2013 "lemon" as my dealer in the area was apparently trained to call it by Arctic Cat. I am assuming this is what they are now training there techs as a reputable company would not allow there dealer to say this. Now have a 2014 because Arctic Cat and my dealer could not come up with a proper solution or fix. So I had no choice but to cut my losses and head ache to once try again maybe a 2014 hopefully they would have fixed this issue and haven't. 2 seasons now I guess not bad but the bolt has now fallen out again and is bent or stripped. As this may should be addressed now as a safety concern more than the headache if you read my last purchase what happened. With parts coming through both the belly pan and through the belt cover plate like a gun shot. I am wondering any recalls or other issues with this cause now I feel I wasted 30 plus grand for crap. Cat definitely failing and so are there dealers around here.

Not to mention 2 others this year with the bolt falling out. One guy was extremely happy to drive 5 hours up north for a 30 min drive on the sled then bolt tripped out.

·
Administrator
2,529 Posts
Blue lock-tite
make sure the lock washer is in good shape
torque to 20 ft/lb
ride thousands of miles with no issues

System has been in use since 2007...

Team secondary setup on 2016 machines eliminate it.

·
Super Moderator
9,099 Posts
I always check the skid and various bolts before any long rides. That is one of the bolts I check. I did need to tighten it once over 2,600 miles this past season. I just tighten it enough to start turning the track while the sled is sitting.

I have not used loctite on that bolt yet.

I have helped riders in our group and on trails fix the bolts that did get loose. One of the sleds in our group with jammed threads held up very well for another 4,000 miles on the original bolt. I just got the bolt started and cranked it tight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blue locktite didnt work. Dealer tryed that and it fell out again. I dont see there actually being a proper fix as I have seen with mine 4 times now, and seen numerous other riders out there that have had it happen.

·
Administrator
2,529 Posts
Since there are over 100,000 sleds out there using the same setup, I'd expect a few issues along the way. But there are only a small percentage of guys having a problem. Most of which are not tied to the design.....

Check the simple things..
make sure the black plastic thrust washer is free to turn on the aluminum piece.
use a new lock washer
blue locktite
torque to 20 ft/lb using a torque wrench, not a wild ass guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts