Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All last year my daughter complained she wanted more power and speed out of her zr120. Over the summer I found a 7hp Honda clone on clearance. Well the old 118cc engine has been pulled and a 211cc electric start engine has been installed. There were only a few problems with shoving the larger engine in. The steering had to be redone to get around the starter and the exhaust port on the new engine comes out of the top instead of the side so I had to weld up a new exhaust pipe. The electrical was easy, I had to run some new wire and get a new key switch. The only thing that needs to be worked on is the chain adjuster. What a POS that came on the sled. The spring can't even hold itself up let along with the chain on it. I have to get some new gears ordered for it. I have a set of CV clutches for it but I'm holding off on those for now. It is the end of December and she is waiting to ride. I hate to be haft way through the project and we finally get snow.

Dane

Steeering mod:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nice job. I'd suggest getting a pipe for that. It can't breathe with the stock muffler on that size of engine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, the steering was the only thing that really sucked. I ended up using the original plate. I change the angles. So it would go behind the started. I cut the steering shaft so the bend was 100% vertical. Then on the plat where the shaft mounted - to the first bend, I cut it and rotated 45 degrees. Then welded it all back together. This took almost two weeks of scratching my head, going through many different designs.

The muffler does need updating. After some testing this weekend, that and the chain & gearing needs to be addressed.

Before I order the gears, I have seen some have changed to the 35 chain and gears. Why have you changed?

DanE

·
Registered
452 Posts
The #35 is lighter so it has less rolling resistance. I don't know if there is a huge difference or not. My boys aren't racing, unfortunately, so it not a big deal one way or another. I've stuck with the 420 from the beginning because when I got a rear hub and gears, I was using the stock clutch. I now have an after market 420 race clutch that we are using because of the bigger motor (6.5hp Honda). I never really had a problem with the stock clutch, but I just wanted to upgrade it as well. Our setup is 10T/26T. It moves right along and pulls my 80lb son driving plus my 215lb butt and my 4 year old's 40lb on a sled behind it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guenther @ Jan 2 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Our setup is 10T/26T. It moves right along and pulls my 80lb son driving plus my 215lb butt and my 4 year old's 40lb on a sled behind it.[/b]
Wow 10/26 is a little more steeper than what I thought. I was thinking mid 30s. what kind of speed and take off power do you get with that gearing? Dane

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calcon @ Jan 3 2007, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What is a Honda Clone engine? Is it a Brigs?

Chris Brandt[/b]

Mine is a Subaru Robin. It was a display model, missing the documentation, key and the box. they took 60% off and tossed in a 3 year warrenty for $20.

D

·
Registered
452 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanE @ Jan 3 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calcon @ Jan 3 2007, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris Brandt[/b]

Mine is a Subaru Robin. It was a display model, missing the documentation, key and the box. they took 60% off and tossed in a 3 year warrenty for $20.

D
[/b][/quote]

Not worthy:

·
Registered
452 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanE @ Jan 3 2007, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guenther @ Jan 2 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our setup is 10T/26T. It moves right along and pulls my 80lb son driving plus my 215lb butt and my 4 year old's 40lb on a sled behind it.[/b]
Wow 10/26 is a little more steeper than what I thought. I was thinking mid 30s. what kind of speed and take off power do you get with that gearing? Dane
[/b][/quote]

It takes off great. We wanted a high enough gear so that it wouldn't spin the track. I also put Gold Ice Screws in the track to help. That baby grips like a sumbeach! I'm not sure what the top speed is. I'm thinking around 25mph. We got our sons one of those Hotwheels radar guns for Christmas. From what I've heard, they are pretty accurate. Now we just need snow to try it out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guenther @ Jan 3 2007, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanE @ Jan 3 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris Brandt[/b]

D
[/b][/quote]

Not worthy:
[/b][/quote]

Oops, the warrenty was $20, the total was $265. sorry....

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
im runnin the stock clutch with a 28 tooth 41 size premier sprocket i did upgrade to a better chain the one that came on the machine is going to fall apart on you real quick, the chain ac used for these is junk.
The chain tensioner needs some tlc it need to fixed and adjustable the spring that comes on it is garbage and it hardly works at all,

and yeah i did the same exact thing you did with the sterring cut in in two places and welded it back together straight up. took me abour 4 hours to do the whole thing and another 4 hours to finish the pipe guarding and other crap. so it went fairly quick.
but i do da lot oft his stuff so it comes a bit easy for me since i have a whole shop out in the "garage"

dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
So is it an EX21? If so did the stock clutch bolt up? Other than the steering and exhaust what else did you have to modify to get this to fit. Do the motor mounts match up?

Thanks,

Chris Brandt

Alaska

·
Registered
452 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanE @ Jan 3 2007, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guenther @ Jan 3 2007, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanE @ Jan 3 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chris Brandt[/b]

D
[/b][/quote]

Not worthy:
[/b][/quote]

Oops, the warrenty was $20, the total was $265. sorry....
[/b][/quote]

I knew what you meant. Still, Not worthy:

·
Registered
452 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dantheman @ Jan 3 2007, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
im runnin the stock clutch with a 28 tooth 41 size premier sprocket i did upgrade to a better chain the one that came on the machine is going to fall apart on you real quick, the chain ac used for these is junk.
The chain tensioner needs some tlc it need to fixed and adjustable the spring that comes on it is garbage and it hardly works at all,

and yeah i did the same exact thing you did with the sterring cut in in two places and welded it back together straight up. took me abour 4 hours to do the whole thing and another 4 hours to finish the pipe guarding and other crap. so it went fairly quick.
but i do da lot oft his stuff so it comes a bit easy for me since i have a whole shop out in the "garage"

dan[/b]

I'm still using the stock tensioner. A trick I figured out is to take a couple of zip ties and put them through the spring to tighten it up. So far, it's worked great. I'm sure I'll need to replace it at some point down the road.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calcon @ Jan 3 2007, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So is it an EX21? If so did the stock clutch bolt up? Other than the steering and exhaust what else did you have to modify to get this to fit. Do the motor mounts match up?

Thanks,

Chris Brandt

Alaska[/b]
Chris,

Yes it is an EX21. The biggest problem is the steering. If you can get past that, then everything else is minor. The engine will bolt right in. I use that term very loosely, the bolts will go right in, just try to get your fat hands in there to put the front washers and nuts on. There is very little adjustment for the engine to move forward to back. The clutch bolts right up, but with the engine forward, there was not enough room for the brake band. I had to heat the plastic up and push it forward/out of the way. I had to make the hole for the key switch larger. New wires had to be run for power, solenoid and lights. I think that is about it. Oh, fill it up with oil before you install the engine…..

Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guenther @ Jan 3 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dantheman @ Jan 3 2007, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dan[/b]

I'm still using the stock tensioner. A trick I figured out is to take a couple of zip ties and put them through the spring to tighten it up. So far, it's worked great. I'm sure I'll need to replace it at some point down the road.
[/b][/quote]

I saw the olson's brothers chain ajuster. It looks like it could be made very easily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts