Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heeeeeellllllllppppppp !!! Won't Idle ........
1997 Bearcat widetrack 550......

Carbs cleaned , tank flushed , all new fuel lines , fuel pump rebuilt (and working) , Throttle magnets unplugged , Throttle switch unplugged. Great spark.

Choke to start , starts revs up ok on choke. Turn off choke , throttle is responsive from "high " idle to engagement. Let off throttle to allow engine to drop to idle at idle engine dies., started with idle screw 1 turn in from touching the slide. No Go ! Have turned them in another turn and a half and no difference.

Is there some other weird safety switch I am missing??

Does anyone know what clutch center to center is ??

something has just come into play on this .......It may be a 1997 it may be a 1998 , how to tell this difference? They are different wiring correct ??

Also ..... would it not run at idle if the wiring to the lights and gauges were disconnected??

I have been unable to locate a wiring schematic for a Bearcat 550. But most for the wiring diagrams I see the TSS wiring couples with tail light .........

·
Team ArcticChat
6,971 Posts
Some sleds have a TSS.. Not sure if your does. Throttle cable length correct?

If there is any water in your fuel it won't idle.

Did you check to see if your float .. Floats..?? Could have a pin hole in it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel tank is clean , new fuel , cables are good. Apparently there are 3 "safety" switches on this piece of crap!
There are 2 switches in the throttle housing , No idea what they actually do .
There are 2 magnet switches in the carbs.

I am unable to find a wiring schematic so I cannot trace the wiring to see what goes where.

Does anyone know if ALL lights and gauges have to be connected for all safety crap to let the sled run properly?

THANKS

·
Registered
44 Posts
A little info to help us, was it running fine last week and now it doesn't? Did you clean the carbs? Will it keep idling while choked? Does it run fine other then idling?

Not idling is odd, generally guys have an issue with them idling to high. And also if it is the TSS I believed mine idled fine but wouldn't REV. Also I looked in my manual and don't have a bearcat, I have a 550 Panther and a Mountain Cat.

Clean the carbs, then lay them on the cylinders, back off the idle screws and make sure the plungers are bottoming out in the carb, if not adjust the cables. Grab a 1/8" drill bit, adjust the idle screw so the shank of the drill bit slides just under the plunger on each carb. Then with them still out press the throttle and make sure they move at the same pace. In my manual the 550 Panther calls for the air screw to be out 1 turn from closed and it calls for 340 main jets and a 40 idler jet. Now with choke plungers out when you turn them on and off do they move freely? Do they seat in the carbs properly?

A lot of stuff at once, but you said you have good spark and fuel pump works so it's pointing at the carbs. So lets start there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much Vinnie !

I am told the sled ran last year but would not idle. Previous to that it ran / idles properly .....as I am told, you know how that goes!

Carbs have been cleaned , all looks good there , cables lubed. Adjusted cables , "balanced : with drill bit.

Choke cables cleaned , lubed , properly adjusted.

Cold engine , toggle choke , starts runs as long as you have the throttle in hand. Choke off , keeping throttle above "idle" engine seems to run super , clutches work / shift fine. Take hand off throttle allow to close completely , engine slows as should , then dies at low idle.

I really have to believe it has something to do with the friggen safety switch mess.

Thanks !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Idling is the is the idler jet, I would replace them with the proper size $5, and then replace the fuel lines. Possible small hole and when you're not priming the system with the throttle it dies. To test the TPS u need a meter set on ohms, disconnect the cable from the switch on the carb, see if you get the same reading on each unit. Some are normally open and some are closed. The signal goes through the 3 pin connector in the steering. Unplug that connector and see if it works if not run a wire from pin 1 to pin 3 and try that. Message me your email address and ill send the manual I have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its NOT the idle screws .............

This sled has ALL new fuel lines , from the in tank pickup all the way to the float drains and everything in between. All the jets are correct stock sizes.

I am convinced its the wiring of the safety mess!

Vinnie I will message you my email , thanks much! Really just looking for a wiring schematic or any info on the safety crap.......

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Panther 550 with the same problem idles if I keep my thumb on the throttle but not pushing it in. Took my throttle apart and there is a switch on the pin that holds the thumb throttle. If I hold the switch in it idles if I let go it shuts off. Any help?

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I have a Panther 550 with the same problem idles if I keep my thumb on the throttle but not pushing it in. Took my throttle apart and there is a switch on the pin that holds the thumb throttle. If I hold the switch in it idles if I let go it shuts off. Any help?
That’s your TSS. You can bypass it. You tube videos on how to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just talked to my Artic cat dealer and he said it is a plastic bushing that cost like $2. Going to go puck them up tomorrow. Will let you know if that worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts