Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 zr 440 sp cc stock

i just rebuilt my top end and both clutches. last year i had the same issue but no where near as bad. from when it engages till about 7000 it dose not run right. its dose int bog out it just runs like crap. it is jetted for 0 to -8 c' and i was testing in about +2c'. my idle is also very low, was like that last year too. i have the idle pins 90% of the way in. my top end is great it just takes me a bit to get there with this crappy mid, or what ever is going on. last year it would just bog a bit when it would engage, and i thought it was the clutches, because the primary spring was beat. but obviously not. both clutches are clean and stock. i took the spark plugs off and they where a bit wet and a bit dark.

think i should change my clip on my needle?

what do you think?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeavyHitter @ Jan 13 2007, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Floats set to high? Dirt in Carb? Chokes too tight?[/b]
i dont think i can set my floats. carbs are clean. and i think my chokes are off a bit but i think there not tight enough.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spedf7 @ Jan 13 2007, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your Power Valves clean?? Are the cables working properly?[/b]

power vavles are clean and i know they are working because my top end is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where ae you air and fuel screws set? the fuel screw should be @1 1-2 to 2 turns out ( the one with the plastic head) and you air screw should be @ 1 turn out (it is back by the bell of the carb) if the pilot circut is totally screwed up it will mess with a small motor horribly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
every thing on my carb is stock except for the mains. right now i know it loads up on idle. today i am going to get some new plugs and try to test and tune.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
funny you say that because i did that and it helped out. i found out yesterday that there is updated needles. i ordered them and will prob be in tomorrow, maybe monday.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
reeds are fine. thought about it and it sounds like my coil going. so i am going to test it today.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tested my coil and my primary is done. I am going to get my stator tested Monday hopefully, and get my failed coil confirmed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eric_b_55 @ Jan 12 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2001 zr 440 sp cc stock

i just rebuilt my top end and both clutches. last year i had the same issue but no where near as bad. from when it engages till about 7000 it dose not run right. its dose int bog out it just runs like crap.[/b]

What do you mean by rebuilt? I have the same sled sitting in my yard with what sounds like the same problem. A mechanic that has fixed a couple of these things says the cylinder/s scored. He tells me the only way to fix mine is with a new cylinder. Apparently new pistons and rings don't solve a scored cylinder problem. Nicasil can't be bored; And my mechanic didn't sound to confident in a diamond hone.

Please let me know what the problem is when you fix it; I'd love to fix mine too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i meant that i put 2 new piston kits in it, and i put new springs and cleaned the clutches.

so ur saying urs is blown up right now?

·
Registered
58 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eric_b_55 @ Feb 4 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i meant that i put 2 new piston kits in it, and i put new springs and cleaned the clutches.

so ur saying urs is blown up right now?[/b]

No it's not blown up. It actually starts pretty good; better than my 700. It seems to run good when it's cold, when it warms up completely it bogs like crazy. The bogging is sort of inconsistent, but typically most of the time when at full operating temp.. I thought it was the clutches, but after several tries with 4 different clutches and set ups it still had the same problem. I havent pulled the motor apart to look, so I can only believe the mechanic was right (since he said he saw several others with the same problem). He claims the cure is a new cylinder(or two). I was thinking it might be a carb issue, but the problem goes away when the motor is cooler; which clearly suggests a temperature related problem.

It's too bad, the sled is fun to ride. bang your head

If I didn't have the 700 I would be trying to fix it, but with no snow in my area it's to much BS to go through for a sled that doesn't work well in the wide open spaces of the UP; even when it's runnin good.

I'm not sure what he means by a scored cylinder. It would be nice if a more experienced mechanic would chime in and help you and I understand what is really going on with these things.

Did your cylinders show any unusual wear when you had it apart?

Sometime this week I might get a chance to pull mine apart and give you more info on my problem.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no my cylinders where fine. i honed them and put them back in.

i guesse it could be a scored cylinder.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
k well i dont know what to think now. my dealer tested my coil fine and now i have them testing my stator wensday.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think your mechanic should say the cylinder is scored without having the motor appart, generally if something scores the cylinder it means something broke off your piston and that you should notice cold or hot. If only to confirm what you believe (that it is scored) try doing a compression test with the motor cold then let the sled warm up and do another test and compare there may be some difference but should be little ie. <10 difference.

I have had scored cylinders one had a minor scratch and I was able to hone it out, initially I did it to get me by for the trip but it ran over 1000 miles after that. I noticed no bog in my motor. If it is scored to badly you either have to get a new one or get it bored out and put a metal sleeve in it. I chose a new one for myself.
sorry for the long response
Crash

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
k well i am all good now. gave my sled to my dealer to test stator and it was good. so then he checked my reeds, and they where done. got some new boyesens. my old one where boyesen also but just worn out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts