Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sled overheated at the end of last season.

It turned out to be the inner O ring in the cylinder head.
I had purchased a top end gasket set so I decided to remove the cylinders to replace the base gasket.

I found some wear on the pistons. I assume it was from coolant either getting into the cylinder or maybe from air entering the cylinder. When it was opened up the cylinder was dry. The others

I attached a picture of the piston. You can just barely feel the lines.
They cylinder has marks but there does not appear to be any groves.

Does the piston have to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
I would agree while its apart replace them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
x3.. i cant tell but it looks like your edges of the piston are also deterioating but its probably from the issue you incountered.. sides of the piston dont look very healthy to me either but could just be the picture

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took another look at the picture. It does look a lot worse than it really is but I think it is going to be replaced.

Can you guys confirm it is okay to replace one piston?
Would it need to be artic cat or would any OEM type piston work?

This year it was stored outside with a cover. For the four years before that it was in an enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
451 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Nov 18 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
X6 is you sled stored without cover??? those studs seem quite rusty,watch you do not get any crap in the case[/b]

x2 Is that dust or metal filings I see around the top of the case? In the future I would suggest cleaning off the top end of the motor before you start tearing it down.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Is that the 99 ZR700? I'd probably suggest replacing both pistons and then you'll have a complete, fresh top end. Make sure to check the heads for trueness and make sure get the surface flat before just bolting them on with new o-rings.

You can check and true up the heads by taping a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper to a piece of glass. Rub the head on the sandpaper in a figure eight pattern and look for shiny spots. The high spots will be shinier than the rest. Continue moving the head on the sandpaper until the surface is uniform.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is that the 99 ZR700? I'd probably suggest replacing both pistons and then you'll have a complete, fresh top end. Make sure to check the heads for trueness and make sure get the surface flat before just bolting them on with new o-rings.

You can check and true up the heads by taping a sheet of 400 grit sandpaper to a piece of glass. Rub the head on the sandpaper in a figure eight pattern and look for shiny spots. The high spots will be shinier than the rest. Continue moving the head on the sandpaper until the surface is uniform.[/b]

X2, nothing worse then burning down mid season with 12" on the ground! Been there! bang your head

1 - 13 of 13 Posts