Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i was planning on doing some riding this week. After the ride i was palnning on changinge the oil. Just curious if using the mobile 1 racing 4T 10w40 oil would be safe to use, it'll be going in a 2005 articat 250 2x4.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I was considering the valvoline 10-40 atv oil. it is rated for wet clutches and the like. I have used it for short time periods with no problem in my '05 H1 when I could not get to an AC dealer. Just have not been able to confirm the AC syn oil rating to make sure that they are truly compatible. I have to invest alot more in oil than most because I submarined the H1 and it burns oil now. about a quart every 30-40 miles. I tell people that it was a 2stroke prototype :lol: That tells you how it smokes. If you are just changing oil once or twice a year i would stick with the AC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes dont get many miles on it. Oil gets changed roughly every six months, not to many trails close by to me. Also believe castrol has a atv oil. Another question, have not used my atv in about 3 months,but did notice i had a flat tire, couldnt find a puncture or any thing, is normal,if the sit for long periods ?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Mobil1 10-40 full syn, motorcycle oil is excellent choice for any atv that recomends 10-40 as does Arctic cat. You can get it at any auto zone. The post about a Syn causing leaks is not true in any motor I ever had, ran it in a multitude of atvs and cars and all my harleys, the only difference is the makeup, the viscosity is the same as conventional oil but it disapates heat much better and has a much higher shear rate and will hold up longer. However if youre only running a few hundred miles and changing every 6 months its about a waste of money, any good oil will do fine for you. And your tire more than likley is leaking around the bead, if it took 3 months to leak I wouldnt worry about it much.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
My tires lose a little air all the time.
JD

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kancoyote @ Jan 11 2007, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My tires lose a little air all the time.
JD[/b]
I've had good luck with Mystic Magic Air for high mileage vehicles. It has a bead swell agent in it. It seems to recondition the bead.

na na

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, a new set of problems, no i can get it to start up,but as soon,as i give it gas it dies, was hopin to get a ride in today,but not lookin promising

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nharticatman78 @ Jan 11 2007, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes dont get many miles on it. Oil gets changed roughly every six months, not to many trails close by to me. Also believe castrol has a atv oil. Another question, have not used my atv in about 3 months,but did notice i had a flat tire, couldnt find a puncture or any thing, is normal,if the sit for long periods ?[/b]
Castrols 4-stroke (motorcycle/ATV) oil is good. My ol'man runs it in his Kawi P650 and it seems to hold up well between changes anytime I've done the job. Though if your looking for a synthetic oil to run also consider Amsoil 0W-40 4-stroke oil, sometimes find it for a good price too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nharticatman78 @ Jan 11 2007, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Alright, a new set of problems, no i can get it to start up,but as soon,as i give it gas it dies, was hopin to get a ride in today,but not lookin promising[/b]
Sounds like dirt in the carb.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If youre going to let it sit around for months without riding it, you need a battery tender and to put Seafoam in the gas, this will keep it ready when you are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do have a batt. tender. Usually start it up every week, but sliped my mind when it got cool out. Also, would it be a good idea to keep the battery inside?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the only thing i have gotten so far, is a loud crack, sorta like a fire cracker sound outta the exhuast. any idea what could cause that??

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GunRunner @ Jan 11 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mobil1 10-40 full syn, motorcycle oil is excellent choice for any atv that recomends 10-40 as does Arctic cat. You can get it at any auto zone. The post about a Syn causing leaks is not true in any motor I ever had, ran it in a multitude of atvs and cars and all my harleys, the only difference is the makeup, the viscosity is the same as conventional oil but it disapates heat much better and has a much higher shear rate and will hold up longer. However if youre only running a few hundred miles and changing every 6 months its about a waste of money, any good oil will do fine for you. And your tire more than likley is leaking around the bead, if it took 3 months to leak I wouldnt worry about it much.[/b]
GunRunner: Good crecommendsATVsommon sense oil information. The group needs more input from contributors like you.

As far as regular non-synthetic oils go, "Shell Rotella T" is probably the best choice for just about any application. As long as no 30 weight oil is used in your ATV, Rotella will be fine. Any oil with "fuel efficiency additives" should not be used in any engine with a wet clutch. It will glaze the clutch. I recommend Rotella simply because I know of guys who have performed numerous oil analysis tests on various oils in big single motorcycle engine applications. Many oils had shear factor failure in relatively fewer hours/miles of operation. For instance Valvoline had lost all of it's shearing capacity within 1000 miles of engine operation. Whereas Rotella maintains it's shearing capacity for over twice the mileage High shear stability is the polymers' resistance to stress, which can break the molecules and reduce the viscosity of an oil at operating temperature.

Using synthetic oil in an ATV application where the oil is changed very frequently, is wasteful and unnecessary. Particularly in applications where oil may become contaminated with water. All the synthetic technology in the world will not obviate the effects of water emulsified in the oil. Change your oil regularly and if you're mudding and submarining, change is even more often. Ensure you dispose of your used oil properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts