Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying new tires for my 05' 500 manual and was thinking about the mudlite XTR's. Been doing lot's of reading about them but would like some opinions from here. I do lot's of trail riding, some mud holes but alot of hunting in marshy areas. How do the XTR rate with some peeps who run them? Is it worth going to 27" or is 26" just as good? Also I use my quad in the winter ice fishing and snow plowing.....how do they handle this type of weather?

I also seen this tire called the excavator and read that they work really well in the snow and mud as well. Does anyone on here run these?

Thanks in advance! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used mine in the snow a couple of times before I moved down here to florida. They worked very well when I was breaking trail. They dig a lot. If you ride on a lot of packed snow the are not that great. Tend to find the soft spots and dig in pulling you all over the place. Otherwise great tires. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
They work great in all conditions but yes they do dig. For a 500cc i wouldnt go bigger than the 26in tire unless you plan on modifying clutch or pipe and snorkle.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Seem to do pretty good in everything, and i have not heard anything negitive about them. You could turn 27's easy enough if you wanted.

we have 500 manuals and have ran 27" 589's , 27" mudzillas and mudweisers and the 500's have never ran out of power, so you should easily be able to turn 27" mudlite xtrs. But if you dont need for a taller tire id go with the 26"

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I've got the 26's on mine and they do very well in the snow up here in noirthern Mn. I plow with them and they don't even spin pushing a foot of wet heavy snow. I did notice a little bit of sinking in the pack snowmobile tracks but still went right thru like nothing.. I also will say they ride better than the stock tires in about every type of terrain I ride in. I would reccomend them to anyone wanting to upgrade to a better tire

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
don't know if this would go for the xtr's but on the regular mudlites i have heard to swap sides or basicaly reverse the tread to help eliminate the digging effect in the snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 07 H1 650 with mudlites on it .they work great all around.Iwas on a ride yesterday with two arctic cat 400 with factory tires they spent more time spining then getting them selfs throw.the tires would fill up with mud and turn into slicksto fast.I ended up being a tow truck most of the day.with those tires and snorkeling the bike works incredible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! We just got about 12" of snow last week and I was still able to plow my driveway with the stock tires but had alittle trouble with the field I needed to push first to make room for all the snow. I know a few guys who have the Excavator tires and they work well in the mud and snow but I like to be different and try something new, cause no one I know has the XTR's yet. I'll do alittle more research but look's like XTR's are going on my quad very soon.... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I have been running 26 inch XTRS for some time on the H1. And of course being in Alaska we have no shortage of snow this year. So much that we can not even get in to some of the parking areas even with a 4x4 to unload. Here in Anch we just had 30+ inches last week. With over 24 FEET of snow that is FEET just to the south of us in Girdwood in the month of Dec. The guys and gals with snowgoes are very happy :super_happy: With the XTRS on the snow and ice the have great tracktion. Run them at no more than 4 lbs for the snow. Have even ran mine with 2.5 to 3 lbs when the snow gets deeper.

·
Registered
512 Posts
In my opinion XTRs should work well as most people by them for the applications you mention. I'm plowing here in Manitoba with my 28 zillas, no problem but they will dig in deep snow way worse then XTRs.
Excel Tire in Stonewall can get you really good pricing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ProComp @ Jan 9 2007, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In my opinion XTRs should work well as most people by them for the applications you mention. I'm plowing here in Manitoba with my 28 zillas, no problem but they will dig in deep snow way worse then XTRs.
Excel Tire in Stonewall can get you really good pricing.[/b]
Thanks there ProComp.....I called vinnie yesterday and got a real great price from him. Thats where I'll be buying mine from very soon! After talking with him about I found out his dad own's Stonewall tire, just where I bought my truck tires. Great family to do business with in Stonewall.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got the XTR's yesterday for my quad. Went with the 27X9X12 and 27X11X12. Decide to go big or stay home LOL! Not sorry I went with the 27"s.....they look and fit perfect. Now I noticed first the quad steered way easier and rode way smoother the the stockers. Next test was the snow covered field behind my house. It has about 1-1/2 to 2 ft of hard crust, powdery underneth. These tires drove through it....no problem. After some testing on how much throttle to use, they dug me through the snow like a nothing. Not going fast but always kept me moving. Even after stopping, they always started me moving again. I had 3-1/2 lbs of air and that worked best for the snow I found. Now can't wait to try them on the trails, mud and swamps hunting. Sure impressed with them so far, glad I chose them! Thanks for all the replies with the great info! :chug:

·
Registered
83 Posts
YoungGrandPaCat,
what is the manuf. of your rear box? its exactly what i'am looking for.where did you get it ? how much ?
looks great on your cat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the box from my Cat dealer in Manitoba. It's made by Kimpex, was around $230 but I got a deal on it when I bought my quad. See it in alot of parts mags (royal distributing is one)

·
Registered
332 Posts
YoungGrandpaCat-- Can you post some pics. of your Cat & the new tires. I have the same bike and would love to see them mounted. I am still deciding between 26"s and 27"s. How is the power loss?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VT ArcticCat @ Jan 15 2007, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
YoungGrandpaCat-- Can you post some pics. of your Cat & the new tires. I have the same bike and would love to see them mounted. I am still deciding between 26"s and 27"s. How is the power loss?[/b]
I'll post some new pic's in a couple of days. -30 here right now and it's a tad bit cold for anything outside right now. Haven't noticed much power loss but haven't really tried them for a long period of time yet. Going ice fishing on Thursday so I'll update then.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got some pic's of my bike with the new 27" XTR's. Sorry I took so long VT Arctic Cat, but I finally did. Went out this weekend on the river near my house and these tires performed 100%! The snow was deep with 2 days of fresh powder but with these tires now, it was no problem. Seen 2 quads that were stuck and I drove right up to them and pulled them out. They didn't stay long after that, just turned around and went back home. I did manage to get really good and stuck though, around 9:00 at nite, by myself LOL. Went off a ski doo trail in the bush and sunk the bike. Good thing for a winch, had to use that to get out. Should have taken a picture with my cellphone but didn't think of that at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a few more pic's as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Nice , looks awesome, love those tires, I have 26" xtr's coming for my 650v2 this week ,I can't wait and looking at your pictures makes things even harder. Your cat looks great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts