Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can you guys run on oil before the damn light starts blinking on the gauge cluster?

Here's my scenario: I rode for about 85 miles yesterday (I started with the oil just above the window on my '13 800) then filled up with gas and pulled away from the gas stop and didn't get more then 5 miles down the trail when the light started blinking. So I basically got 90 miles on my sled on the "useable" volume of my oil reservoir. WTF???? I understand that I can ride ABOUT another fuel tank's distance before I will run out but there is no way to know when you're really going to run out and burn down the motor.

Here's some other info: My dealer drilled the cap for me so I should have the proper venting in the cap. I typically fill the oil higher then the sight window but not to the top of the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The oil rezy holds about a gallon so you should be good for several hundred miles. I fill mine right up to the top of the tank, but not into the filler neck. My cap hasn't been drilled and I have had no issues. I'm not sure why they have the sight glass where they do, but it makes no sense. They should have two one high and one now or a sight tube the length of the tank so you can see how much oil you've got in there. I usually keep mine topped off so I don't really know how far I can run it. I've used about 1.5 gallons in 600 miles on mine, but that is mostly off trail and WOT. Trail riding should use considerably less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil rezy holds about a gallon so you should be good for several hundred miles. I fill mine right up to the top of the tank, but not into the filler neck. My cap hasn't been drilled and I have had no issues. I'm not sure why they have the sight glass where they do, but it makes no sense. They should have two one high and one now or a sight tube the length of the tank so you can see how much oil you've got in there. I usually keep mine topped off so I don't really know how far I can run it. I've used about 1.5 gallons in 600 miles on mine, but that is mostly off trail and WOT. Trail riding should use considerably less.
I'm estimating here but I think I've used 4 gallons in 1400 miles. That's a bit more I'd say.

I'd like to dial the amount I'm using in a little bit but I don't know where I'll find the directions on how to calibrate it and I can't imagine that my dealer is going to want to take on a process and in tracking it and making adjustments. BTW, my dealer has been GREAT, I just don't know if I can ask them to take this on too.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm estimating here but I think I've used 4 gallons in 1400 miles. That's a bit more I'd say.

I'd like to dial the amount I'm using in a little bit but I don't know where I'll find the directions on how to calibrate it and I can't imagine that my dealer is going to want to take on a process and in tracking it and making adjustments. BTW, my dealer has been GREAT, I just don't know if I can ask them to take this on too.
That is a bit more. Any idea how much gas you've gone through? I just checked through my receipts I've used about 74 gallons of gas, give or take a couple for how much is left in the sled and about 1.5 gals of oil. If my math is right that's about 49.3:1. With the way I've rode it so far, this seems a little light on oil if anything, but it is running fine and I'm happy with that. Maybe the extra vent hole in the cap lets the pump suck more oil and is giving you a richer mixture? I dunno

I'm pretty sure there is no way your dealer is going to cut back the oil pump for you. That is just asking for trouble. I think there is info on here somewhere on how to adjust the oil pump, but I would be very cautious. It's way cheaper to buy oil then a new motor. my2cents

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a bit more. Any idea how much gas you've gone through? I just checked through my receipts I've used about 74 gallons of gas, give or take a couple for how much is left in the sled and about 1.5 gals of oil. If my math is right that's about 49.3:1. With the way I've rode it so far, this seems a little light on oil if anything, but it is running fine and I'm happy with that. Maybe the extra vent hole in the cap lets the pump suck more oil and is giving you a richer mixture? I dunno

I'm pretty sure there is no way your dealer is going to cut back the oil pump for you. That is just asking for trouble. I think there is info on here somewhere on how to adjust the oil pump, but I would be very cautious. It's way cheaper to buy oil then a new motor. my2cents
I just read through the oil-pump synchronization procedures from the repair manual.... I'm going to continue to buy more oil!

I don't have a handle on the amount of gas I've used because I buy gas in bulk and have a transfer tank. I've always figured about 10-12 mpg, so that would put me in the 30:1 or 35:1 range. I would have had to do 2000 miles to get a higher ratio. I think I'll make a better effort to track this.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I just read through the oil-pump synchronization procedures from the repair manual.... I'm going to continue to buy more oil!

I don't have a handle on the amount of gas I've used because I buy gas in bulk and have a transfer tank. I've always figured about 10-12 mpg, so that would put me in the 30:1 or 35:1 range. I would have had to do 2000 miles to get a higher ratio. I think I'll make a better effort to track this.
Wow you're getting a lot better mileage than I am. I am in the 7-8 mpg range. Without knowing the gallons of fuel, it is hard to even get a ballpark figure of what the ratio is. As you say, keep better track of it and see where you're at. Even checking it after just a tank or two should give you a good idea.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm riding mostly groomed trails and wind blown lakes so my sled isn't working all that hard. How about you?

My gas light usually comes on around 85 miles and I've never put more then 7-1/2 gallons in it (that I remember). I know I'm always feeling like I could have gone further.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm riding mostly groomed trails and wind blown lakes so my sled isn't working all that hard. How about you?

My gas light usually comes on around 85 miles and I've never put more then 7-1/2 gallons in it (that I remember). I know I'm always feeling like I could have gone further.
No trail riding for mine yet. All off trail in our fields and the occasional run down the road. It is WOT as long and as often as it can be so maybe 8 mpg isn't too bad. :lol:

My fuel light usually comes on at about 55-60 miles and I usually put about a can and a half of fuel in it, so looks like our gauges are pretty close to one another, the mileage is just different. I'd like it if it was a little more accurate, but overall it isn't too bad esp. if you stop and let it settle down. The light can be on when riding and when I stop it will usually show two bars after it sits for a few seconds. I think it is just the crappy design/shape of the tank. I really should run it till it runs out or atleast starts to hesitate and see how far I can go just for reference, but as long as I know what kinda mileage it is getting I can pretty much figure how far I can go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts