Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this in the tech tips, but didn't get a lot of hits. Please help!

I was riding today and the sled just shot off on me. Restarted after a few seconds and ran fine for about 5 more miles and then died again. Restarted, turned around and headed back to the truck, shot off again. Opened the hood and didn't have any oil. Friend ran back and got some oil, but I had him tow me back to the truck just in case. Got to the truck, and it started and ran fine for the 5 minutes it took to load on the trailer. Another friend said his boy ran his Sabercat out of oil and fried the motor. It's wishful thinking, but I was just wondering if maybe these sleds had a shutoff if it was low on oil. The gauge on the dash showed it was full and I never thought to look. I know it was stupid on my part, but let me know if you think I'm fried. No lights on the cluster came on or anything. Not a good weekend for me!!

Sled is an '04 F7 EFI.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have an o4F7 and honestly don't know if there is an auto shut off... But.. do a compression test if your cyldrs are equal at equal compression and over 110psi you're good to go!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a buddy who used to work at a Cat deal who is going to do a compression test for me tonight. We'll see how that goes. Isn't the gauge on the right hand side of the digital screen the oil level indicator? Mine has never moved off of full, but I USUALLY keep it pretty full. I'm at work and don't have my manual...bear with me, because I won't feel better (or worse) until tonight when we do the compression test.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ski-doo600mod @ Dec 21 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
no there is no "oil level" indicator in the gauge cluster. the only indicators are your eyes when opening the hood.[/b]
If you thought that you have a oil indicator which it isn't and you say that it never came on,it sounds like you haven't checked your oil in quite a while.Should check every time you fut fuel in it cause after every tank of fuel you should have to be adding some

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for making me feel even dumber darrellw :) I know that now and I feel pretty stupid, but I'm just wondering 1) what is that on my gauge cluster then? and 2) is my engine fried? I thought maybe someone would say they've had this happen before and knew of another answer, but realistically, I'm not thinking it's good news. It was a long time ago, but I thought sure i read that that indicator was oil level. Expensive lesson to learn. I usually always check that stuff too! Trust me, I'm furious with myself and feel really stupid!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The oil light on the gauge cluster is a low oil warning. it shold have came on. Compression test will not tell you the whole story because you may have ran the crank bearings dry and did bottom end damage to the crank or rods. You have 2 choices...tear it down and check it over or ride it and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The led bars on the gauge do NOTHING on Firecats. They only work as a fuel gauge on the older T660 four strokes.

It sounds like your oil level sensor is shot too because there is a low oil light on the gauge and obviously it didn't work.

Like willy said, you can refill the oil and hope it runs ok. Personally, I think the motor is going to be toast. If not immediately, soon.

Why would you not visually check the oil and top it off before every ride?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I pulled a stupid move like this once. I was riding my 04 Sabercat when it died and came to a stop. I checked the oil and saw it was empty and said a few select words. I was carrying a litre of oil so I added that and made it back home. That was towards the end of last year and I've probably put 600 miles on since that happened. My "low oil" light never came on either, which makes me think it's not working properly. I haven't comfirmed it either but I think maybe there's a shutoff if it runs low on oil.

I now check my oil everytime I fill it up with gas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That gives me a little bit of hope, but I'm still bracing for the worst. You don't have to tell me how dumb it was, I feel like a douche! So you've put 600 miles on it without an issue and it still runs the same as it did? I realize I may not get that lucky, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
X2 if you do decide to ride it and pray for the best pay attention to how if feels. If it starts to feel lazy or exhaust note changes its done and the sooner you shut it off the better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah she ran good. I did some work this fall, cleaned the clutches, cleaned the power valves, new power valve cable cause one was broke, welded a hole in the Y-pipe and I had it out for a run yesterday. It runs like a brand new machine now. Snappier than it ever was before.

When I go home for Christmas I'm going to check the compression in both cylinders and I'll report back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the compression test shows 140psi in each cylinder without holding the throttle in. The oil line hose was empty, so we jacked the back end up in the air and let it set overnight to see if gravity can take over and then just lift it up and down to work the air bubbles out. If that doesn't work, we may need to get more in depth, but that's where we're at now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Open the oil pump bleed screw and let the air out its on the front of the pump just open it the air will come out also oil just get all the air out of the line

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have about 30 miles on the sled and it's running fine. I'm obviously keeping after the oil every time I go out now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts