Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding today and the sled just shot off on me. Restarted after a few seconds and ran fine for about 5 more miles and then died again. Restarted, turned around and headed back to the truck, shot off again. Opened the hood and didn't have any oil. Friend ran back and got some oil, but I had him tow me back to the truck just in case. Got to the truck, and it started and ran fine for the 5 minutes it took to load on the trailer. Another friend said his boy ran his Sabercat out of oil and fried the motor. It's wishful thinking, but I was just wondering if maybe these sleds had a shutoff if it was low on oil. The gauge on the dash showed it was full and I never thought to look. I know it was stupid on my part, but let me know if you think I'm fried. No lights on the cluster came on or anything. Not a good weekend for me!!

Sled is an '04 F7 EFI.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
That stinks. Fill the tank with oil, mix some oil with your gas and bleed your oil pump and see what it does. With the oil in the gas you should be ok for a short time to find out if anything really went wrong. Hope all is ok.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it'll be obvious when something goes wrong, but what will most likely be wrong? I'm not that good with engines. I'm taking it over to a friends house tomorrow who used to work for a Cat dealer and he's going to do a compression test and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I hate to say it, but I'm betting that you will need new pistons/rings at least. It's pretty easy to pull the heads off and take a look, but the compression check will tell the tale. Hope I'm wrong!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No dash lights AT ALL. Compression test was done last night and I had 140 in both cylinders. Sled is jacked up in the air now for oil to fill the hose because it was clear and empty last night. If gravity doesn't work it's magic, we'll be taking some things apart to prime it manually.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Take the y-pipe off so you can take a look and the piston skirts. You will also want to check that the low oil warning is properly functioning. the F7 had an issue with the oil light coming on too soon, when the reservoir was still half full, so if this one was completely empty and no light, then the oil level sensor system must not be functioning. There is a bleed screw on the oil pump, so if the thing went completely dry you will want to bleed the line to make sure the pump is getting oil and does not have an air lock. The shutting off could very well have been a piston seizing in a cylinder. A compression test should not be relied on as an indicator of engine health in this case.

The real lesson to be learned here is to fill the oil before every ride. There are a number of things you want to do before every ride, which should include checking that the oil pump lever moves when the throttle is depressed, before starting the engine. You have to let the engine warm up before riding, so you might as well fill the oil reservoir. That way you don't have to be the guy running around looking for oil at the first gas stop. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts