Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 285 miles my 2007 f6 sp has had the adjustable handle bars collapse from the full up position. This happens after larger woops are taken and the front end takes a good hit,the pin at locking lever is making contact and holds just fine when inspected at a stand still. This has happened 3 times and once to a friend. After contacting the dealer and customer service I inspected and found left side of the small 3 tooth jaws componet is cracked. THIS CAN HAPPEN TO YOU! I'am not sure if this is the result of a full collapse or the reason it is happening. I was piched over the top of the sled while going 20 mph in some 3 and 4 foot rollers when the bars come down and rotated the controls away from me. This sled will be brought into my dealer 1/28/07. Has any one seen this yet with there sled? Again this happens after a good front end hit,normal stutter bumps and lift off jumps have not made this happen.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This just happened to a buddy of mine going into a corner and the bars just went right t the tank!!

Whent into the bush and screwed up his sholder bad!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know what your doing to these bars or what, but I'm 250lbs and I was wailing on these things for all there worth through some continuous stutters, I was bottoming the front end out for crying out loud! Those bars didn't move an 1/8 of an inch.
Are you seating them properly. I mean your talking some serious allegations here. The bars failing in a corner and guys getting hurt? They just don't fall down to the tank. ah the internet

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is the componet that has failed. I did state that the system will hold when checked and verifyed that the locking pin is in its correct location. when the sled is being driven hard is when this happens. my body weight is 237 lbs. attachment=62091:IMG_0006.JPG]

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
Are you sure the bars are tight. If you flip the lever to the unlatch position you can turn it in the tighten direction and it will clamp tighter, I believe this is in the owners manual. The picture is real fuzzy but it looks like the part you are pointing to is a tab to keep the riser from sliding off the side of the steering post when unlocked, nothing to do with the clamping ability.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This has happened also to my f6 during hard riding in some larger holes(hard terrain) while ditch riding, no parts breakage so far! this can be quite un nerving when it happens. Yes i'am sure that the pin and lever are in a full locked position! wtf is going on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is needed as far as parts to make this into a firecat rizer block style system?

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
If you want to get rid of the fast adjust bars all you need is a riser, caps and bolts.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'll say it again The lever can be in the fully latched position, but if the mechanism is not adjusted tight enough the bars will move. Try flipping the latch all the way up and giving it a couple turns clockwise. It will be harder to latch, but will clamp much tighter.

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
In the picture above all that is damaged is #7 (on the parts diagram below)

The lever #1 screws into #9 adjusting how tight the bars are held when the latch is down.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will make it clear that the bars on my sled left the dealership in the up position and being 6'-3" and that is were they have stayed. I DO KNOW HOW TO READ QUITE WELL! So your insistance that a mechinical componet can not work as designed or fail is not standing up real well with me. When this first happened the lever was rotated 2 turns more to the point where the lever was difficult to get to full latch position ie. tighter clamping pressure. Again after 20-25 miles a repeat of the same event. Now with all your wisdom, do you think the future sno-cross sled will come equipped with this feature? My sled is been at top notch dealership since the 28th of Jan. They do not feel that this is a operator error problem!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey not to deadh0rse but I'm with Krom on this one. Those have to be out of adjustment. Honestly I went out again on this sled. Again, just railing this thing through 2-3ft. stutters that were smashing my front end up in the air then bashing the front suspension down to failure. We were on this trail for couple hours(not on purpose we got alittle crossed up)but while I was there I figured I'd test this machine and see what it was made out of, see if the handle bars would fail or if the a-arms would break..........I got nothing but shear exhaustion. My hands and forearms literally cramped up that night. Like I said before I'm nearly 6'- 250lbs and that ride was all upper body pulling and pushing these bars hard! From sitting to standing. I would hate to see a guy give up the advantages these bars have to offer, but I can see his point. I would be a little gun shy if they flopped on me.

But it sounds like they were out of adjustment from the dealer and maybe stripped out from that point?

KLF I would bring back to the dealer get all the part squared away and get them adjusted right. It is really a nice setup.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f1pete @ Feb 2 2007, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey not to deadh0rse but I'm with Krom on this one. Those have to be out of adjustment.[/b]
count me in on this support of you too Trev :thumbsup:

adjustment is totally critical here, even more so for LARGE guys

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why do need take sides on this issue? If a sled has a problem it is up to the dealer and the factory to take care of the problem (right) just because you and your sled have not had the problem. I put up with a lot of problems with my firecats before the recalls and tsb's were sent out to adress all those issues I had. Again the internet has never been always correct! What will all of you say once a recall comes out for this issue? Polaris stated they removed the adj. steering post due to weight! funny all the ditch banger sleds only lost 1.5 lbs due to this measure. Is it possible that this was a source of issues with they're sleds also(yes) and Polaris legal dept. felt that this was a good idea to go to a fixed system? The fact is my sled is having the same problem and I'am quite able to understand how this system operates. back to the dealer it will go.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
well FELINETAMER,, if you would have seen all the adjustable bars getting the living s*it jerked, yanked, pulled, twisted to hell at the Lansing Cat show past spring, and the damage done to the clamps BECAUSE someone never set the initial amount of force even close to what was really necessary when BIG FOLKS jumped on and started swinging through their motions, then you'd see why I fully agree with krom,, you wouldn't have believed how loose the people felt the clamps had to be, so that they had no struggles and could perform a change in bar location with their pinky's (it seemed), I stood there pointing out to a few that they were adjustable to clamp harder,, something the reps from cat weren't payin CLOSE attn to,, that's why

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will tell you that my lever is quite difficult to flip down to the lock position...BUT it has never moved on me as you can read in my last post

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I noticed the same flimsy issue with the handlebars when I first saw the new lineup last March at the Lake Geneva snocross race. They were so bad that while I was in the cat tent the factory guys came over and wire tied all the adjustment levers. If in fact some people have had accidents from these bars malfunctioning, you can bet the C.P.S.C. will get involved.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KLF @ Feb 2 2007, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I will make it clear that the bars on my sled left the dealership in the up position and being 6'-3" and that is were they have stayed. I DO KNOW HOW TO READ QUITE WELL! So your insistance that a mechinical componet can not work as designed or fail is not standing up real well with me.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FELINETAMER @ Feb 2 2007, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry, cnote that is not ment to be a joke. Again this problem is based on my sled which is an 07f6sp not some friend of a friend.[/b]

Sorry you guys are having problems, and I dare say serious ones. I don't have experience with these sleds, but I have recieved good information from those who have replied to this topic. With your relatively small number of posts on this forum, you may not be aware of just how much help they have been to many, including me, with various issues. That said, it is my opinion that they are offering their best guess to solve your problem, while not knowing you or seeing the sled. So in that regard... lighten up a little bit; they're only trying to help... not trying to make you look stupid.

Best of luck with your handlebar trouble.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts