Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
My wifey and I are hoping to finally get on our new to us sleds this weekend. Does anyone have anything at all to report on the conditions in Vilas and/ or Iron Cty? We are even open to going to the UP but need to get some info ASAP so we can make some reservations.

Don't want no chamber of commerce guy telling me to come on up and then have it be crappy. I can ride on thin base trails if need be, but want to go where the riding is the best. I know, beggars can't be choosers!!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Snowtracks.com is usually pretty good...I received this today from the Western UP. I would say its right on.

WESTERN U.P. SNOWMOBILE REPORT
---------------------------------------
January 9, 2007

CURRENT SNOW DEPTHS:

LATEST SNOW AND WEATHER:
Finally feels like it should...high in the teens...we've had an inch or two of snow...blowing...forecast calling for snow showers or chance thereof through next Monday...which is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. So we'll jsut have to see which way the wind blows...hope for North!

CURRENT TRAIL CONDITIONS:
GOGEBIC RANGE TRAIL AUTHORITY REPORT
A lot of work was done on 11N over the weekend-holes and culvert fixed and freezing nicely. The groomers will go out tonite or tomorrow to try to smooth out the trails from traffic. More snow needed, but they'll do what they can to knock down bumps...AND the new groomer is now here!
LAKE GOGEBIC REPORT: Groomers waiting for more snow-they plan to go out to do about what the GRTA is doing...smooth out bumps, etc.
SILVER CITY/ONTONAGON REPORTS: Still awaiting snow...some weekend riders said trails were fair to the south of Silver City. Trail #11, a mile inland all the way to 102, tho thin in the corners was okay...102 the same. Groomers will go out ASAP.
WATERSMEET REPORT: Waiting for snow to be able to groom.
OVERALL CONDITIONS: Early season rideable-poor to fair.
(I will really be glad when I can upgrade those for you)!!!
BE SAFE!

You can keep up speed and see the snow on the ground when you check out our web cams: www.westernup.info -We have links to right outside our office at the fairgrounds in Ironwood, at Lake Gogebic, at Big Powderhorn Mtn. in Bessemer. Blackjack Mt. in Bessemer and Indianhead in Wakefield...and there's also a link to a weather station at Mountain View Lodges in Silver City.

SPECIAL NOTICES AND EVENTS:
NOTE: THE COPPER PEAK SNOWMOBILE HILL CLIMB HAS BEEN RE-SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 24TH. The unseasonable warmth rendered the Hill Climb conditions to be unsafe for the competetors.Keep up-to-date on details at www.copperpeak.org.

Here's a "heads up": There's a trail change when you're going into Silver City from White Pine this year. You no longer head east to dog leg around the back of Rainbow Lodging then west to Silver City. You will now cross west over M-64 just south of town and continue north, arriving just west of the M-64 & M-107 Junction. From there, you head east to get to the Rainbow via the old trail and road easement. The trail is marked with green markers to help you find your way. This change eliminates a portion of trail that has been problematic in the past few years. ALSO PLEASE watch your speed and STAY ON THE TRAIL traveling thru Silver City, as M-107 has been widened and the private yards that have to be crossed are even closer to the homes there. A great deal of effort by snowmobile club officers and the DNR has gone into appeasing homeowners along this stretch. Help show them you can ride responsibly.

Event Reminders:

January 20, 2007 Y-101 Championship Hillclimb at Copper Peak, Bessemer,MI. Gates open 7 AM, Competition starts 9 AM.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Western U.P. Convention and Visitors Bureau P.O. Box 706 Ironwood, Michigan 49938-0706 906-932-4850
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.westernup.com

Click on the link below to be removed from the Western U.P. Snowmobile Report mailing list.

http://www.westernup.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We went up to Woodruff this weekend. Only heard and saw a couple sleds on the Woodruff trails this entire weekend. Very sparse in most areas there. We trailered up to Iron County north of Mercer to a Tavern. Got on the trails there and had a blast. Mostly they were fair to good with a few areas VG. A lot of sleds out pounded them up pretty bad by Saturday at dusk. We were going to go again on Sunday, but there was no snow Saturday night, so we just stayed in and watched football. Not a bad start to a bad winter of riding. Then, the new snow came and now I am pumped to get back up there, since we only got 3-4 inches in our area last night. Hoping for Thursday. Will take my camera next time. Left it at the cabin last weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sledboy482 @ Jan 15 2007, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We went up to Woodruff this weekend. Only heard and saw a couple sleds on the Woodruff trails this entire weekend. Very sparse in most areas there. We trailered up to Iron County north of Mercer to a Tavern. Got on the trails there and had a blast. Mostly they were fair to good with a few areas VG. A lot of sleds out pounded them up pretty bad by Saturday at dusk. We were going to go again on Sunday, but there was no snow Saturday night, so we just stayed in and watched football. Not a bad start to a bad winter of riding. Then, the new snow came and now I am pumped to get back up there, since we only got 3-4 inches in our area last night. Hoping for Thursday. Will take my camera next time. Left it at the cabin last weekend.[/b]
Thanks for the report! Let us know when you go back up there! thumbguy

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back up this weekend. Did a lot of riding and the trails were fair to vwery good condition. By today they had been beaten pretty bad by all the traffic. They need a good foot of heavy, wet snow to make the cond excellent. Snow expected this week.
A mid week trip would be worth your time.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sledboy482 @ Jan 21 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Went back up this weekend. Did a lot of riding and the trails were fair to vwery good condition. By today they had been beaten pretty bad by all the traffic. They need a good foot of heavy, wet snow to make the cond excellent. Snow expected this week.
A mid week trip would be worth your time.[/b]

Thanks for the update. What areas did you ride in exactly?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nick @ Jan 22 2007, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sledboy482 @ Jan 21 2007, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A mid week trip would be worth your time.[/b]

Thanks for the update. What areas did you ride in exactly?
[/b][/quote]
We rode the 15 trail to Boulder Jct. That was not good due to the excess traffic and lack of snow depth. Rode the 51, 5,7 10 trail. There are so many good trails to ride up there, that if you go north and west from Minocqua you are bound to find wome great trails. I rode up to Manitowish Waters on Friday. Sunday my wife and I rode to Sayner on the #6 trail. That trail was great in some sposts but really needs snow. There are also a lot of poorly marked and unmarked corners on the 6 trail. On one going WB from Sayner you climb up a hill in the woods. When you get near the top, it looks initially like you go straight, as there is not any trees right there. However, when you get up there it is a hard left turn right now. There are no turn arrows at all. I know that when they get another 6-8 inches of snow, the trails will be much better. If you are looking for a good place to stay, try the Boulder Bear Motor Lodge. Family owned and nice, clean rooms. Right on the trail in Boulder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts