Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spark problem. Sometimes I get spark and sometimes I don't. I disconnected main wiring harness. Checked plugs, caps, ignition coils, wires - all within spec. I checked the stator coils and they are within spec. I bought a new CDI and it doesn't solve the problem. I have checked all grounds and seem to be good. No evidence of frayed wires etc. I am at the end of my rope. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Check the gap on the ignition timing sensor. If that is not it you may have a broken wire coming out of the stator or a wire wore through the coating and is grounding out.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If he has the plug from the stator unplugged the tss,key,tether,and kill should all be disabled.

When you say you have the harness unplugged, you are talking at the stator right? You should have a 4 prong connection with two yellows, a brown and a black wire. If you hook the brown and black together you should have the complete harness unplugged. You can wire a kill switch or key direct to the brown and black and leave the yellows hooked up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, the 4 wire plug from stator is unplugged. In the service manual it says disconnecting this bypasses emergency switch and key. Spark is still intermittent with disconnected...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the spec in the manual gives quite a large range for the charge coil, 383.2-574.8 ohms. I am measuring 395 at about 60 degrees F. Wondering if this is too low?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
What is the gap supposed to be?
I don't believe my book so we are screwed there. It says 0.7 and that is not reality. I think you should talk to blaine or kev. I think your stator is trashed with that reading. If you could cool it down to 20 or 30 farenheit and try it, maybe it would be a better indicator.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
I meant the two non yellows, as in the jumper wire hooked to the black and brown wire to make a full connection. If its getting some spark i would assume you have. It does sound like a failing stator to me also.
98 would be open ignition. On this one, the jumper is not needed to bypass the switches.

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
the spec in the manual gives quite a large range for the charge coil, 383.2-574.8 ohms. I am measuring 395 at about 60 degrees F. Wondering if this is too low?
From what I've seen, when it's down at 395, it's not going to have strong spark when trying to start it. Not sure why they give a 20% tolerance. If it was minus 40, the 383 might be an ok number, but generally speaking if it wanders too much from the median, it has some amount of deterioration.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Just to tie it all together....he has the open ignition so all he has to do is unplug the 4 prong plug. After unplugging it he has bypassed all of the switches and wiring harness. It still sparked sometimes and sometimes didn't so now he knows the issue is with his stator, cdi, coils or trigger assuming all connections are clean & dry. His trigger ohms should be 175 and the cdi and coils don't go bad very often. Of course double check all ground wires...they both connect to the top of the flywheel housing. So, after all of that he has measured his stator ohms and got 395 for his low speed coil. The final correct post showing where the actual issue is came to us via Kev as he correctly stated above that there is a stator "range" given by the manual but as he knows from experience that any OEM stator that measures that low either will not give spark, will give intermitten spark or possibly give just a continuous weak spark. So, the prize goes to Kev for correctly identifying the issue causing teedit's intermitten spark issue. Someone get that man a cigar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the very same issue. I changed out the stator, and that did not help. Not saying it is not your cause, but mine turned out to be a bad "Igintion Sensor" which is right there by the stator. Might want to check that too? Mine would start no problem when it was warm, but as soon as it got cold (50 degrees or less), nothing. Took a heat gun out and warned the block area by the stator, then boom, she fired right up. Sounds crazy,but I found someone else was having the same issue I was and that was what they did. I figured what the heck, I tried it and it worked, so I ordered a replacment one off eBay, and it worked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.