Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a buddy looking for a atv and I said go buy a cat. The place I got mine from has a couple 05 v2,06 v2 and 06 h1 (all new) the 05 5000.00 the 06 v 5400 06 h 5600. I said you won't find a better deal. So he went to gander mountain to check the the cats out and the salesman said go talk to the mechanic. So they go in the shop part and the mech. says yes they are good machines but you would only want to keep it for about 1500 miles. I do think he is going with one of the v's but what do you all think about that coming from a ac mech. Anyway I told him other than shock bushing, belt adjusting,tires.and oil changes he should be good for a long time. Maybe the mech just wanted to get home early that night and not sit and talk about all the good stuff ac has to offer. Later frankp

·
Registered
454 Posts
First of all the mech at gander mountain do not know squat about cats. I can tell you that right now. YOu can ask anyone and they will tell you the cat is the tuffest atv out there bar none.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
The mech should be fired!!!!!!at 1500 hundred miles my H1 is hardly broke in.... Would never go by a mech at Gander MT. He is proplaby a POPO rider and sure he wasa thinking of POPOs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mechanics tend to be very very brand loyal. Chances are if you found out what he drove he would talk it up as if it was the second coming. Everytyhing else is total crap. My cousin is a mechanic and says stuff like this, if its not chevy its a worthless pile of steel to him

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cattrv06sable @ Mar 19 2007, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First of all the mech at gander mountain do not know squat about cats. I can tell you that right now. YOu can ask anyone and they will tell you the cat is the tuffest atv out there bar none.[/b]
another thing im really suprised that GM even has their own mechanics. Doesnt seem like they would sell enough to hire a Cert AC tech

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Sounds weird as far as advice goes.

I've got many more miles than that, doesn't seem like it's about to fall apart or anything either. In fact, I think it's just getting used to me! :lol:

Get your friend to join ArcticChat and talk about it.

Some folks will have serious problems with any product and any brand, ATVs are no different.

The key is to remember people with problems are a small percentage of all the ATVs sold. The vast majority of ATVs don't explode and are fine (any brand).

On forums you just don't hear from people posting that their ATV's starter still works, pistons still work, engine still runs, differentials still turn axles... You only ever hear of problems on the internet so it has an amplifying effect.

As for the mechanic, sounds like it's just a job to him, and Cat might be his favorite brand to hate!

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
It's a mechanic at a large Sporting Goods/Hunting Equipment store, enough said! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
If you only get 1500 miles then I better make the next 300 count

:angry_mad: :angry_mad: Gander Mountain :angry_mad: :angry_mad:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would say the gentelman is one lazzy bastard. If he was working for me he would be looking for a new job. This is just BS bsflag bsflag

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Hes a smart one damn i've doubled 1500 and mine has only been in for a broken shifter and a torn cv boot.
That mechanic deserves a mikeyslap chairshot nutkick

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have about 1350 miles and my rings are shot. I have swamped it a few times though and it is ONLY used for mudding.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have a tech at Gander Mtn. and he's great, but he's been around the block with ATV's/cycles for a long time. He says that these Cats are really durable. Don't get me wrong...I had my go with GM with regards to their "techs" before, but this guy is a keeper there.

That 1500 mile line is a line of crap. If a Cat is only good for 1500 miles, then the other brands must be good only after they get off the showroom floor in comparison.

In the end, it's just like anything else we buy. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Neglect it and it will likely crap out on ya.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
AG I think hit the nail on the head in his post !

When I was a mech, at a small auto shop, we worked on EVERYTHING! Some things are better than others, granted, and there are vehicles I WOULD NOT take home if they were giving to me FREE!! If it has T!TS or TIRES it's gonna cost ya money... regardless of brand or make... things wear out... when things wear out is a matter of abuse, neglect, or misuse and time...

Was the mechanic justfied in what he said...NO... Any customer, or potential Customer, should be givin an unbiased opinion ... and not from just one or two sources! My team was told "Be selective in the information you give out" since we didn't want to turn people away... let's face it a potential customer, regardless of what brand or make, is at some point going to need service, and if we can get there business Great! If not, let's at least let them make an educated discision.

Personally I wouldn't take the word of one Mech from one location... I have a few reasons for this... but If AC's had problems after 1500 miles... why do they keep selling as well as they Do?

It makes one wonder how many potential purchases where turned from the negitive words of mechanics?

Do the homework... do the research, there are MANY MANY Great sources of information available to make an Educated Discision...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Scott wrote <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
another thing im really suprised that GM even has their own mechanics. Doesnt seem like they would sell enough to hire a Cert AC tech[/b]
There's your mistake! I too "assumed" that if GM had a guy working on my machine, then he must be an AC certified mechanic...Wrong! Most of the guys, in my area anyway, that work at GM have never been to cat school! At first I thought GM was getting away with something, but then I found out that AC does not require these guys to be AC certified!

I think this is ridiculous! I think that in order to put yourself out there as a full service Arctic Cat dealer, then you should have to have AC certified techs to work on the machines!

I learned of this the hard way.. After buying from GM, I took my machine back for some simple issues. Two weeks later, no machine. I finally drive down there and they tell me the machine is done. Go to load it into the trailer, still won't shift into H gear. Give it back, another week goes by, stop by again, they say it's done, go to load it up, same thing. I was fuming! I took it to another AC dealer, and he fixed the thing in the parking lot! (I've since learned how to adjust the shifter myself)

I was so PO's that I drove back to the GM and got the store manager to let him know what had just happened. He assured me that once they got this kid to cat school, things would be much better. It was only then that I learned this kid worked at a local Chevy dealer part time and at GM part time! I'm glad it was only a shifter as he had other bikes broke way down in that shop...scary stuff!

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but the point is to learn what kind of guys are working on your machines before you let them have it. It's the reason I now drive past 2 dealers within a half hour ride of my place on my 1 1/2 hour ride to my dealer... It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

·
Registered
404 Posts
tubes, are you talking about the GM by the Mall? That's where I bought mine as well. I have had the same problems as you they always tell me that the tech is sick, or on vacation, or his gout has flared up!! GOUT!!!!! GOUT !!!!!! Who has the gout these days? WTF I now drive right past that dealer and go up to the one in Geneva about an hour further, but the service is execellent. The Gm down here had it for 2 weeks for the 100 mile tune-up and never looked at it. I took it to the other GM and they had it done in an hour!!!!! and they even gave me a killer deal cause the other GM had f'ed up so bad.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I too am going to need a new quad in about 300 miles then! :bs:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well I'm on borrowed time then over 1600 miles on the Twin better start looking for a new ride NOT!!!!! :stop_nono: :stop_nono:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts