Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTERACTIVE SNOWMOBILE GEARING CHART

Download this gearing chart in Microsoft Excel® format and just plug in your Upper and Lower Gear Ratio along with your circumference of your driver (in inches) and the RPMs you are running. Then it automatically calculates your speeds for you. :) It's pretty slick! thumbguy

This was sent to me by Mike (Firecatsrt)! Cat happy Send him the free beer! :chug:

Nick

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
thanks for putting this up Nick, I thought it would be a good tool for everyone to use because the formula to figure it all out is pretty tricky and this does all the hard stuff for you. thumbguy

and i must give the credit to a fellow racer Jim Muth for creating this chart during his busy work day :chug:

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is a really cool tool! Just one quick question, what does the speed at 1:1 mean? I see the speed go higher at 105%, 107% etc. so was wondering what the 1:1 ratio stands for and how to get to 105% or higher. Thanks, Rich :chug:

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
1:1 is when the belt is dead center on the clutches and the track is spinning at the same speed as the motor, the 105% + is when your clutches shift all the way out and you kinda go into "overdrive" so to speak, if you are running at 115% then you are basically maxed out, if you do it consistantly you may want to gear up as you are topping everything out and may risk blowing a belt.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well, a 1 to 1 clutch ratio means that the drive belt in the drive cl. is at the same dia. as the drive belt in the driven cl. When the cl's reach overdrive the drive belt is at the top of the drive cl. (8") and the drive belt is low in the driven cl. (7").
7 div. 8 = .875. or 112.5% The jackshaft does spin at the same rpm as the engine and in fact will spin faster then the engine when the clutches go into overdrive but because of the dropcase gears the track will never see engine rpm. Not even close.

Auggie

·
Premium Member
4,355 Posts
do you have the formula to figure it out? if you have that i can make one up. if anyone has the formula i can make another excel sheet up for diamond drive.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I've been trying to talk to some engineers about the DD gearing and a few guys can't even give me answers. They just claim that I'm messing with all the time and energy they put into these sleds and I'm screwing it all up.......

My problem is that I have a D&D 900 and a Cutler 1 Liter in M-sleds and they top out at 80ishmph. I want to see 90-95mph speeds, Only problem is nobody can tell me what a 60/60 ratio(X-Fire) tops out at, or a 57/63 etc etc.

Should I got with X-Fire gearing or F6 gearing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have and idea where to get 17 wide gears for 05 sno pro 440. I have look for gear for long time and can't find them. If you know where to get them please help me.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
If you tell me what gear chain combo you want I can give you the part #'s and you can order them from your dealer.

Auggie

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here is a gear calculator for DD, found it on the internet. Dunno how accurate it is though, seems alright.

"OK The pinion is the first gear which on a 05 F7 ext is 65
the lower intermediate to pinion is 55 teeth
the intermediate to the sun gear is 34 teeth
and Planetary is 76 teeth. Hence the gearcase ration is 0.528708

Driver pitch is 2.52 inches on a F and 3 inches on a M

The 05 F cat use 10 tooth drivers

Usually the clutch overdrive ratio is about 10% therefore 1.1

((65/55) x (34/76) x 7700 rpm x 10 tooth x 2.52 inches x 1.1 overdrive)/1056 = 107 mph"

·
Banned
343 Posts
Originally posted by Auggie@Oct 4 2005, 12:14 PM
Well, a 1 to 1 clutch ratio means that the drive belt in the drive cl. is at the same dia. as the drive belt in the driven cl. When the cl's reach overdrive the drive belt is at the top of the drive cl. (8") and the drive belt is low in the driven cl. (7").
7 div. 8 = .875. or 112.5%  The jackshaft does spin at the same rpm as the engine and in fact will spin faster then the engine when the clutches go into overdrive but because of the dropcase gears the track will never see engine rpm. Not even close.

Auggie
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

:chug: :chug:
right on

1 - 20 of 27 Posts