Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to install new heater elements on my firecat....both sides.....whats the easiest way to install the new grips. Last thing I want to do is get a grip installed halfway on and then it;s stuck there

Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Use hair spray. Slips right on and drys and sticks really good.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
the last grips I replaced I had the hand grips very warm and they luckly slid on without any problems I've also used CRC silicone and when it dries they stick.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I use PVC pipe cement. It acts like a lubricant and helps them slide right on, then sets up in about 5 minutes. It shure beats waiting for them to set up overnight like you have to do with regular grip glue! -Craig

·
Registered
696 Posts
Use an air gun from the opposite side you want to take off. Blow it into the handlebar and you can slide the grip off. Makes it easy for removal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The blow gun trick works slick for getting your old grips off, and they can be reused...

To re-install grips, I use black spray paint. Spray the bar ends, the last 4", slide the grips right on. They will slip on easily. Leave them sit for an hour, the paint dries and cements the grips to the bars. Done lots of them this way. Just hold a rag or paper town in the had you are not spraying with to catch the overspray as you go. I would imagine the hair spray has the very same effect, if the wife has some! We all have black spray paint in the garage, don't we?

Oh, and when you put the new heaters on the bars, make sure you orient the wiring so it does not interfere with the switch bodies and throttle lever. You also want the elements to be where your hand will be, with the bulk of the element on the front side of the bar where your 4 fingers wrap around. You only have one shot to get it right: lay the elements on the bars, see that the wiring won't pinch, draw its outline on the bar end with a Sharpie. Then remove the sticky tape and put it precisely where your mark outline is.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent.....thank you
I install motorcycle grips all the time but with the heater elements on there it throws a new twist into it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.