Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great post. I'm thinking about getting a set of the dial a jets for my v-twin once I snorkel.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Just installed my DAJ last night. Took me an hour, but I was was going S-L-O-W as I'm not really a carb techie. If I had to do it all over again, 15-20 minutes and I'd be done (minus the tuning, if any was needed). Thanks for the pictures, Walt. They helped me out immensely!

I didn't screw the mounting bracket to the bottom of my airbox. I used velcro. Should work good.

The throttle response was much improved. I was impressed. I didn't get to run it out yet as I finished up later in the evening, and I didn't think my neighbors would appreciate hearing me rip up and down the street. Perhaps tonight when I get home...

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Originally posted by Sanny651@Mar 15 2006, 10:10 AM
Just installed my DAJ last night.  Took me an hour, but I was was going S-L-O-W as I'm not really a carb techie.  If I had to do it all over again, 15-20 minutes and I'd be done (minus the tuning, if any was needed).  Thanks for the pictures, Walt.  They helped me out immensely!

I didn't screw the mounting bracket to the bottom of my airbox.  I used velcro.  Should work good. 

The throttle response was much improved.  I was impressed.  I didn't get to run it out yet as I finished up later in the evening, and I didn't think my neighbors would appreciate hearing me rip up and down the street.  Perhaps tonight when I get home...
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Good idea on the velcro....that will probably work well. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
So I now have an issue. My carb overflow tube is leaking gas. The more I rev it, the more it leaks. When I rev it, it's leaking at such a high rate that it's almost a steady stream. Never had that issue until after I installed the DAJ. What could cause this? If I put the replacement drain screw in too far, would that do it?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Todd your Floats need to be adjusted it is in section 4-5 in the manual basically just bend the tab and you are good to go fixed mine the more i reved it the more gas over flowing i got. But on another note i believe the DAJ's have to be good and level could the Velcro be coming loose??

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Section 4-5?? I don't see a section 4-5 of my instructions. I just re-read them again and don't see anything about adjusting the tabs on my floats? It also doesn't say anything about keeping the thing flat. Mine are angled just a bit, so I'll try to level them out.

What page is that float direction on?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Hey Blue,
So I removed the new drain screws with the OEM ones and no more leaks. So, I must need to adjust the floats. However, my instructions make no mention of adjusting the float?? The DAJ doesn't affect the idle circuit, so I'm not sure why the floats would be out of whack. However, something isn't right.

I know that why I screw the new drain screws in until they are snug that there is still a good 1/4" of thread showing. Should these go all the way in, but not over tightened?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Figured it out. I wanted to wait to call Thunder Products first, but I was right. I needed to screw the drain screw in all the way on both of them. I have since done that, and no more leaks. Good to go!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It seems I can use Dial-A-Jet on the 2006 AC 500 Auto,,, says all 4 strokes, 99- 07...cool :super_happy: One question though. Is it just jets, like the standard ones or an add on? NM, i see it is an addon. Will I be able to snorkel my 500 with 2" if I add a Dial-A-Jet??? Also like the Hondas need lower jets, will I need them on my 500 AC???

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kendragon @ Oct 22 2006, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It seems I can use Dial-A-Jet on the 2006 AC 500 Auto,,, says all 4 strokes, 99- 07...cool :super_happy: One question though. Is it just jets, like the standard ones or an add on? NM, i see it is an addon. Will I be able to snorkel my 500 with 2" if I add a Dial-A-Jet??? Also like the Hondas need lower jets, will I need them on my 500 AC???[/b]

It will be really close I think. You want a lean condition when you put the DAJ's in and one way to do that is the 2" snorkle with stock jetting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
do you have to take the air box out of the bike and the carbs or can they stay on the bike with nothing removed except the side panels of course for access? :D

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teamarticat @ Feb 18 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
do you have to take the air box out of the bike and the carbs or can they stay on the bike with nothing removed except the side panels of course for access? :D[/b]

I did everything left on the bike. Of course mine is an '04 so I'm not sure as far as the same amount of room for the newer 650's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
no they didn't change much except plastic and little things cause your setup looks just like mine so i should be able to leave carbs and airbox on the bike with nothing else to remove except side panels and comparment above airbox and lid...right,no carb dissasembly? just plug and play pretty much huh? :D

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teamarticat @ Feb 18 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
no they didn't change much except plastic and little things cause your setup looks just like mine so i should be able to leave carbs and airbox on the bike with nothing else to remove except side panels and comparment above airbox and lid...right,no carb dissasembly? just plug and play pretty much huh? :D[/b]

Yup, that's right!!! MAKE SURE you don't over tighten the brass adapters you put in place of the drain screws. You can always slightly tighten them if they leak a little but they sure will strip easily. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow, it's just that easy huh!, i thought it was alot like the dyna jet kit where you had to pull both the carb(that looks like it sucks) just to jet it,looks like a 4 hr job with the dyna jet but with the dial a jet it looks like 20 min install and a few min tune time, am i right or wrong on this? sorry for all the ?'s just never done this to my cat yet and was always afraid to because of how much you have to tear apart, and you have to mark which carb is front and back cause there is a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
like i said unbelieveable,my friend rejeted his cat v2 but he was just finishing up when i got there and he said " yea i had to take off the air box and both carbs then disassemble both of them put the right jet in the right carb cause the front takes a diff. one then the back and had to do a plug chop then tear them back apart to readjust them again" it took like 3.5-4 hrs. and i was like f**k that s**t mine will just have to wait if it needs it.so it's good to know that you don't have to practicaly disassemble the whole top of the bike just to jet the dang thing,much much easier,the guy that invented this thing needs a pat on the back for making our lives easier. just my2cents

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I installed my dial-a-jets in about an hour to an hour and a half, with out removing anything but the 2 right side panels, and the filter and lid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just installed the dial a jet on my bike a few weeks ago and all the guys in the group are curious on how it actually works. Is anybody in here smarter than me can explain other than "it just works"?

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OceanAggie @ Jun 7 2007, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just installed the dial a jet on my bike a few weeks ago and all the guys in the group are curious on how it actually works. Is anybody in here smarter than me can explain other than "it just works"?[/b]

Without getting really technical (I might lose myself) The more vacuum the carb makes (when you open the throttle) the more it sucks the gas out of the fuel supply and injects it directly into the carb compensating for the fuel it isn't receiving. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that is the best way I can explain it. Bascially the motor itself is metering how much fuel it needs with the vacuum it creates.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts