Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new at rebuilds but learning any sugesstions would help ..would it matter if I put the rings upside down on it ? reading 35 psi in each cylinder and I put oil down the cylinders and shot up to 130 each .still no start ..ran last year fine ..stumped ..maybe the gaskets didnt seal right ?any help ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
the rings have a slight taper. Most rings have a small stamping near the gap on the top side of them. And If you squeeze them before you install them they should be notched to fit around the pins in the grooves. Check anmake sure the rings are correct and make sure they are seated correctly on the pins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
low compression

repulled the jugs and checked the rings ..no markings on the rings ..I think they are bevelled a bit and I have the bevelled sides up ..the close and open up to the pins on the piston ..thanks for your reply ..I'm still baffeled with this old sled ..compression reades 60-90 after I put it all back together again ...I think maybe I need new jugs ..I did hone them but looks like no luck..any more help..Ideals ? thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts
The markings are usually very small. but the taper should face up. It could be that your cylinders are worn out. I would see if a local shop or auto parts store has a bore gauge that could let you know if they are still good.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Maybe flip the rings and check compression again? Couldnt hurt....

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
What sled / engine? Why did you replace the rings and not the pistons? Skirt fatigue should be a bigger concern than ring seal. Like said, these keystone rings install with the bevel up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
low compression

The markings are usually very small. but the taper should face up. It could be that your cylinders are worn out. I would see if a local shop or auto parts store has a bore gauge that could let you know if they are still good.
I fliped the rings but did not change the gaskets maybe thats my whole problem ..also I broke a nut on one of the cylinders ..thanks John ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What sled / engine? Why did you replace the rings and not the pistons? Skirt fatigue should be a bigger concern than ring seal. Like said, these keystone rings install with the bevel up.
I changed the rings and piston ..but not the gaskets, maybe thats my biggest problem with the low compression ..thanks John ..I also broke one of thre bolts on the cylinder

·
Registered
870 Posts
you could try a little copper coat spray gasket on your old gaskets and see if that helps. I would definitely repair the broken stud or bolt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Alot of newer 2 strokes have exhaust valves, thats what he was talking about. what sled is this? Most cats can't be honed, they need to be replated. don't reuse the head bolts, buy new ones, and use a torque wrench when tightening.

·
Registered
197 Posts
new at rebuilds but learning any sugesstions would help ..would it matter if I put the rings upside down on it ? reading 35 psi in each cylinder and I put oil down the cylinders and shot up to 130 each .still no start ..ran last year fine ..stumped ..maybe the gaskets didnt seal right ?any help ?
Try measuring ring end gap that will tell you if the ring and cylinder are matched. Put the ring in the cylinder off the piston then use the piston to push the ring straight so it is even in the hole now measure with a feeler gauge the distance between the ring ends. I would check with a service manual to confirm the measurement as engines do vary. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alot of newer 2 strokes have exhaust valves, thats what he was talking about. what sled is this? Most cats can't be honed, they need to be replated. don't reuse the head bolts, buy new ones, and use a torque wrench when tightening.
oh, ok sorry its an 88 cat jag delux ..changed the fuel to 93 octane and it shoots out the carb ..still no start ..compression reads 60 in cylinder next to the brake wheel and 120 in the other ..ill have to tear it down again and order new head bolts and gaskets ..thanks for the input ..john

·
Registered
1 Posts
oh, ok sorry its an 88 cat jag delux ..changed the fuel to 93 octane and it shoots out the carb ..still no start ..compression reads 60 in cylinder next to the brake wheel and 120 in the other ..ill have to tear it down again and order new head bolts and gaskets ..thanks for the input ..john
Hi did you figure out what was wrong and how to fix it ? I have the same issue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts