Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so many posts from people with carburetor problems (mostly caused by dirty fuel), I decided it might be wise to put an in-line fuel filter on the Cats before I have the same problem.

The first thing I did was get the right size fuel filters. I went to Chinadian Tire and looked at the riding mower filters. Too small and at $11.00 each, I don't think so. I got an idea of the size of diameter of the connectors then went to the automotive department. Found filters that were twice the size for $3.84 each. No brainer. Bought one for each cat. There's lots of room to install the filter. Considering how cheap and easy a fix it is and how much of a pain in the ass that dirt in the carb can cause, I strongly recommend it. If you decide to do it, make sure you route your fuel line to minimize abrading and exposure to exhaust heat. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Good idea! Great description and pics! What is the grey pipe foam for?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MacEng @ Apr 2 2007, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good idea! Great description and pics! What is the grey pipe foam for?[/b]
I put it on there to reduce the possibility of the fuel filter making contact with the hard surface of the cross member. I use that stuff for millions of different applications where you want to minimize abrasion or hard contact. I was wondering if anyone would key in on that!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looks good...I probably should do that myself.

·
Registered
257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Apr 2 2007, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
After reading so many posts from people with carburetor problems (mostly caused by dirty fuel), I decided it might be wise to put an in-line fuel filter on the Cats before I have the same problem.

The first thing I did was get the right size fuel filters. I went to Chinadian Tire and looked at the riding mower filters. Too small and at $11.00 each, I don't think so. I got an idea of the sized diameter of the connectors then went to the automotive department. Found filters that were twice the size for $3.84 each. No brainer. Bought one for each cat. There's lots of room to install the filter. Considering how cheap and easy a fix it is and how much of a pain in the ass that dirt in the carb can cause, I strongly recommend it. If you decide to do it, make sure you route your fuel line to minimize abrading and exposure to exhaust heat. Good luck[/b]

Just a stupid question but do you think the fuel filter will hold up from the normal jarring of a quad ride. I have heard that some of the paper ones break down and the pieces will leave the filter. What type of filter did you buy? Thanks in advance. I need to do this to my 700 and my wifes 500.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah, my buddy had a filter similar to that on his 400. The paper inside fell apart, and he ran into some problems. Its a good idea, but i would find another type of fuel filter. Not trying to step on your post Borat, just trying to help :ridepride:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mitchman @ Apr 2 2007, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Apr 2 2007, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first thing I did was get the right size fuel filters. I went to Chinadian Tire and looked at the riding mower filters. Too small and at $11.00 each, I don't think so. I got an idea of the sized diameter of the connectors then went to the automotive department. Found filters that were twice the size for $3.84 each. No brainer. Bought one for each cat. There's lots of room to install the filter. Considering how cheap and easy a fix it is and how much of a pain in the ass that dirt in the carb can cause, I strongly recommend it. If you decide to do it, make sure you route your fuel line to minimize abrading and exposure to exhaust heat. Good luck[/b]

Just a stupid question but do you think the fuel filter will hold up from the normal jarring of a quad ride. I have heard that some of the paper ones break down and the pieces will leave the filter. What type of filter did you buy? Thanks in advance. I need to do this to my 700 and my wifes 500.

Mitch
[/b][/quote]

I've used similar filters in high vibration applications and haven't seen one fail yet. Considering that the fuel filter is made of clear plastic, it should be easy enough to keep an eye on if you feel you need to. The oil filters have paper elements and probably made of the same if not very similar material. They are filtering hot oil and that is a tougher job than filtering gasoline. The Canadian Tire part number is 23-3516-2 brand is GKI.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Apr 2 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, my buddy had a filter similar to that on his 400. The paper inside fell apart, and he ran into some problems. Its a good idea, but i would find another type of fuel filter. Not trying to step on your post Borat, just trying to help :ridepride:[/b]
That surprises me. I'd be interested to hear if any others have had paper element fuel filters disintegrate. Nonetheless, I'll be keeping mine on and will be forthright if they fail in any way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Apr 2 2007, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Apr 2 2007, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, my buddy had a filter similar to that on his 400. The paper inside fell apart, and he ran into some problems. Its a good idea, but i would find another type of fuel filter. Not trying to step on your post Borat, just trying to help :ridepride:[/b]
That surprises me. I'd be interested to hear if any others have had paper element fuel filters disintegrate. Nonetheless, I'll be keeping mine on and will be forthright if they fail in any way.
[/b][/quote]

The power washer we use to clean the 4 wheelers has a paper filter. That 5hp motor vibrates so much that it will actually vibrate its way down the driveway. We use it about 2 hrs a week and its paper filter doesnt seem to have come apart. While I am in no way calling anyone a liar or saying it could not happen I would think the chances are probably better of winning the lottery.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Borat, either that quad is brand new or I have found someone more anal(just joking) than me when it comes to cleaning my quads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mitchman @ Apr 2 2007, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Borat, either that quad is brand new or I have found someone more anal(just joking) than me when it comes to cleaning my quads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch[/b]
Yeah. It's brand new. Trust me, when it comes to maintenance, I'm fairly anal. Cleaning.....NOT. I will wash a machine occasionally but not regularly. If I have to work on it, it'll get washed.

·
Registered
257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Apr 2 2007, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mitchman @ Apr 2 2007, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mitch[/b]
Yeah. It's brand new. Trust me, when it comes to maintenance, I'm fairly anal. Cleaning.....NOT. I will wash a machine occasionally but not regularly. If I have to work on it, it'll get washed.
[/b][/quote]

Any other mod's in mind. I have not touched my wifes machine other than putting hand warmers and 26" mud-bugs on it. Considering doing the slide valve mod but not overly worried about it unless my machine is sick. It is hard to go from driving mine to driving hers. I like her machine very much but it just does not have the same snap as mine

Mitch

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I have the same type of filter on mine and have had no problems yet. :thumbsup: I was going to say the same thing Mitchman,That thing sure is clean,mine didn't look that nice an hour after I got it. Rockerdude

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
UPDATE:

I called my buddy, and the fuel filter he put on his was used, and OLD. Sorry Borat, i will be looking for a filter similar to yours. :oops:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Apr 2 2007, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
UPDATE:

I called my buddy, and the fuel filter he put on his was used, and OLD. Sorry Borat, i will be looking for a filter similar to yours. :oops:[/b]
No need to apologize. If you think that something someone is doing might be bad for them or their machine, your comments will be appreciated. On the other hand, it is best to evaluate and qualify the information provided. I'm certain that we all have posted comments that may not have been perfectly accurate. When that happens, the better person comes forward to correct their mistake. Seeing you have done so, just proves you are a better person.

·
Registered
434 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ Apr 2 2007, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
UPDATE:

I called my buddy, and the fuel filter he put on his was used, and OLD. Sorry Borat, i will be looking for a filter similar to yours. :oops:[/b]
oops nothing. You did your best to help us all out by letting us know the information you had at hand then provided more info when it bacame avalable. Couldnt ask for much more, I know if my motor had the potential of being damaged I would like someone to supply me with that info. thanks man

1 - 20 of 43 Posts