Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Zach. Im looking to buy my first sled and would like to get your guys opinions and any facts about the 2004 Firecat f7 EFI snowmobile. I have rode sleds before and would like to get into the sport because alot of my family and friends have one.

I was wondering what are some things I need to look for in a used sled?
What would be a reasonable price for one?
What are some issues with the 04' f7?

Stuff like that guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Things to look for when you get there....

Make sure it isnt overly dirty, its good a sign the owner didnt take very good care of it if it is.

Depending on how many miles are on it i would ask about top end maintenance. Ask him if it has ever blown up or if he ever put a new top end in it if it has 5000 miles or more.

My uncle just bought an 05 f7 efi for 4200. So an 04 depending on the condition should go for 3500 or so. But it depends on what shape its in, if its in really good shape with low miles, then it would go for more.

Also ask if the belt has ever blown while he was riding, because if it did and he didnt replace the primary spring, it needs to be. personally i would buy new clutch springs for both primary and secondary, it helps with performace a lot.

check and make sure idler wheels spin freely, and they dont have slop in them from side to side indicating bad bearings.

idk about all the recalls on the 04, but those are things i look for in a used sled.

How much is he asking for it and how many miles does it have?

p.s. ask how often he rebuilt the shocks.
They need to be done before each riding season

·
Registered
302 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gallopghost @ Nov 17 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
04 OK but need a seat from an 05 or 06. should be 3000 or less.[/b]
The seat isnt that important, the newer seats just boost you up higher, and depending
on how much the guy rode it it could have more than 3000 miles on it. in fact i bet it does have more than 3000

·
Registered
575 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pin2win @ Nov 17 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gallopghost @ Nov 17 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
04 OK but need a seat from an 05 or 06. should be 3000 or less.[/b]
The seat isnt that important, the newer seats just boost you up higher, and depending
on how much the guy rode it it could have more than 3000 miles on it. in fact i bet it does have more than 3000
[/b][/quote]

not an everyday sale but i bought my 2005 F7 carb for $2000

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought mine for 3000 with 475miles but i was BEAT and left out side with no cover on it ..and a lot of cleaning to do and new stickers on it so looks good now

·
Registered
302 Posts
yeah theres no comparison lol. you got a fricken steal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info so far! A little more info on it. It has 2800 miles. It says he has stored it outside with a cover. and he is asking $3800 It looks very clean from the pictures.

What kind of maintenance do they require? From talking to other people about their own sleds (mostly Ski Doo) they go through the carbs every fall? Seems alittle excessive to me. I only get to ride the ATV roughly 2-3 times a month if im lucky, and it never requires anything.
Im not afraid of a little maintenance because my 450r requires some here and there. just trying to get an idea.

·
Registered
302 Posts
first off you dont have carbs, its efi. (electric fuel injection. Im sure you know that) things to do are clean your power valves. Also known as your APV's which stands for arctic cat power valves or somthing like that. But theres a post on the sled mod and tech tips forum under the general sled topic. It walks you through how to do it, and if you have any questions just ask us we'll hook you up. Doing this will wake it up a ton.

Check for all grease fittings and grease until you see the new grease oozing out.
Top end won't be necessary, great miles, and is priced about right.
Check the carbides, if they're worn down you should/need to replace them, cheap though
like i said, its due for some new clutch springs and check idler wheels but they should be fine.

You're basically ready to rock and roll dude, great find, snatch it up and have fun with the sled man, you're gonna love it. they rip!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I have always had alot of fun riding. Only thing im worried about is buying it and not being to ride it as often as I would like. Good thing though is my uncle bought a cottage up near hayward. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts