Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

In hopes of insight on an older Cat

689 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  660catman 
#1 ·
Happy New Years! I was looking at an old post that Wayne was involved in, I wonder if I could ask a question for anyone to answer?
I just picked up a non running '93 Cat 550 EFI. I bought it as it started smoking from the battery area and he disconnected it and left it to sit. Now it's in my garage with high hopes.... I used Wayne's diagram that he had circled the "Diode" located next to the EFI Relay and I feel that I have the same problem as I would suspect they did.
My brown fuse link was smoked, after giving it power and sorting out the broken ignition switch, I supplied battery voltage.... It seems that the throttle is also wonky as it does not indicate to the EFI relay to idle... As soon as I figured that out, I had a smoky short to ground, it appears that the Diode has shorted internally.
My question --- Is this an uncommon occurrence or is this the result of another gremlin?
Is there parts still available and if so, what would the part number be?
Is there a possibility that the ECM is also smoked? (Insert scared / sad face now)
Any insight you can lend will be appreciated.
Thanks again in advance, Nick

#3 ·
I have a hard copy service manual for a 1993 Pantera 550 EFI / EXT 550 EFI. Let me know if you need info from it. It has wiring diagrams too. I can copy some pages and post them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.