Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a modified 1997 Yamaha 700 SX. The reason why I'm on this forum is because the sled was built with an Arctic Cat secondary. I need to replace the movable sheeve because one of the bolt heads snapped off. Problem is nobody seems to know what that clutch came off of. Not even Arctic Cat. I've searched all over the internet, even spoke with the guy that built the sled which gave me a part number that was supposedly the same clutch but when it arrived it was obviously too small. The part number on my sheeve is 0648-019. If ANYONE has information for me as to what this would have been off of and what would be an available part to replace it, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
The number you see is probably a production component number and not a valid Cat part number per se. Lots of guys know their clutches on here by looking at them and if you took a picture of the complete secondary they would be able to tell you.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Dealers would not have a component listing. Only Cat in TRF would have it. Looks like for a mid 90's sled. The larger diameter makes me think it's from a Bearcat. What's the part number on the helix itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what you mean by Cat in TRF but my local dealer did call Arctic Cat and they weren't able to help. The helix is 0148-222

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Sorry, Arctic Cat manufacturing in Thief River Falls. Helix number not going to help much as it fits 279 various models from 1981 to 2008. I was hoping it would narrow down exact model for you.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Like catman says and if you got another clutch and was too small. You have a bearcat clutch which is bigger. Theres not too much difference between all Cat clutches. Roller cover, or a button, Bearcat or regular. The helix interchanges with all the clutches. A roller helix has a small notch before the angle looks as though you dont have it. Not needed unless you going for max overdrive. Options are get a Bearcat clutch same as yours button or roller and swap your helix and spring into it. You would need a Bearcat because your belt and CD is set for one. Option 2 and the best one. The stud that is snapped off is very soft probly a 2 or 3 grade. You can drill it out with a hand drill a drill press even better.

Go one size smaller then tap it for the same size. Get a stud to match or cut the threads off another bolt. Double nut the end red loctite the threads and screw it in. The stock stud is not screwed in its pressed if you were going to try to get it out by screwing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. We've ordered a Bearcat sheeve and hoping it is a match. Will let you know what we find out. I spoke to the guy that built the sled again, and he agreed that it was probably a Bearcat clutch after I told him the dimensions. Said it would give my sled a stronger takeoff.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yep, Bearcats are bigger so gives a lower take off ratio. Might not be much but draw back to getting one sheeve. Their balanced as a unit (those holes on the rim) and need to be put back together the same each time also. Theirs a sand cast mark on the outer rim on both you match them up

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully I won't have issues just getting the one half. You can't get the other half anymore so I was at least lucky enough to be able to get the one I need.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Does your secondary have buttons or rollers? I know parts diagrams are not the best but it looks like rollers have shorter bolt pins. What is the part number on your bill for the new sheave?

·
Administrator
19,791 Posts
The issue here is that Cat has cut ties with their old supplier of the reverse cam secondary’s.
Honestly, I’m quite surprised that they had a 1998-on (short tower design) sheave to begin with.

That sheave will require a 1998 and later roller cover. The helix and spring will work fine. Also, once assembled, you’ll note an approx additional 1/4” of stationary sheaves centerpost protruding out from the roller cover (as this was originally a button design with taller towers and longer stationary sheave centerpost)

Personally, I’d search flea-bay for a good used BC roller from later years. Or if you can find one there, a good button (tall towers) pre-1998 version (such as you began with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The issue here is that Cat has cut ties with their old supplier of the reverse cam secondary’s.
Honestly, I’m quite surprised that they had a 1998-on (short tower design) sheave to begin with.

That sheave will require a 1998 and later roller cover. The helix and spring will work fine. Also, once assembled, you’ll note an approx additional 1/4” of stationary sheaves centerpost protruding out from the roller cover (as this was originally a button design with taller towers and longer stationary sheave centerpost)

Personally, I’d search flea-bay for a good used BC roller from later years. Or if you can find one there, a good button (tall towers) pre-1998 version (such as you began with.
That sheeve in the pictures is from a 1996 Bearcat and has the short towers.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
That sheeve in the pictures is from a 1996 Bearcat and has the short towers.
Then someone had already changed that secondary on the donor Bearcat.

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Was it a new part? 96's still had button sheaves.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
4 Participants
gabbett1
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing