Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 550 h1 seem a bit sluggish off the start from a dead stop but picks right up after a second. Is this normal for this bike? Is there a way to improve this or will it improve on its own once the engine is broken in?

·
Administrator
7,594 Posts
It gets better after shes good and broke in, about 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Read the AIRDAM/// thread.......
It's a big help for us guys that come up short.........on power.

BTI

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BTI @ Nov 18 2009, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Read the AIRDAM/// thread.......
It's a big help for us guys that come up short.........on power.

BTI[/b]
I'm quite surprised Airdam hasn't already jumped in this thread with his sales pitch already. I've noticed he rarely misses an opportunity to plug his CVT work as a cure-all for low end performance. LOL just kidding.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
mine did get better with more miles

with the 28" tires i would like to do some clutching

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is brand new and I dont want to change anything thats going to effect the warranty. I figured the engine just needs its time to break in. I havnt tried it because of the breakin process, but I'm pretty sure It wont stand up like that one in the pic ^^

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leroycool1 @ Nov 18 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
mine did get better with more miles

with the 28" tires i would like to do some clutching[/b]

Hey leroy did you find out what was wrong with your wheeler?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SBarkowski @ Nov 18 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The bike is brand new and I dont want to change anything thats going to effect the warranty. I figured the engine just needs its time to break in. I havnt tried it because of the breakin process, but I'm pretty sure It wont stand up like that one in the pic ^^[/b]
i'd say 90% of dealers out there would have no idea the airdam mod was done if they were lookin right at one, a shim will gain almost as much with a loss in speed and is easily removed.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Airdam// isn't really noticeable (unless you really know what to look for), but as stated if you don't want to do that, you can do the free clutch work and reverse it.
Otherwise you are stuck with what ya got.....after break in.

BTI

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What does this airdam mod consist of?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
he cuts about 3.5mm from the base of the primary pulley's to let the belt drop farther down. the rough surface he put's on it would be the only clue (beside's the low end power) that it was done. "i roughed it up with sandpaper when i cleaned the housing" would probably shut up the 10% that were smart enough to have a clue.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
If its still new it will get better my 650 ran better ever time i rode it untill about 400 miles then it kinda just leveled off.

lol break in period whats that..? but really i know alot dont agree with me but i think babying it does not let the rings set in very well. Iam not saying run it WOT every where but running it hard in short sprirts IMO is good for it.
My 650 has been scrapen the back bumper sense zero miles and runs like a top now with 1000+ miles on it.

If it was mine i would do the secondary mod on the clutch and then go from there its free and gives nice gains in low end snap.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the break in I was told not to baby it also. Just drive it normally, varying the throttle. Dont try to hit top speed or hold it at full throttle for extended periods of time on at least the first tank of gas. Dealer states the break in to be the first 300 miles. Then it goes in and they check it over and readjust the valves and a bunch of other stuff. I'm new to all the modern technology in these new bikes so forgive all my questions but what exaclty is the secondary mod your talking about?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I think its in the "pinned " section, but what it does is re clock the secondary spring to make it tighter and this gives more belt grip, increases back shifting, makes the engine braking stronger and keeps in it a lower gear alittle longer. what it does is give it more snap when you hit the throttle, its nothing crazy just a nice added snap to make it get out of its on tracks faster..lol

sounds like a good way to break it in kinda what i do to mine, but i only drive it like that for around 100 miles...lol :lol:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I did a search and I found it. The free thing is always a bonus. What about these HMF pipes? Do they really add any performace and is it worth the extra noise? I do hunt with this bike so I dont really want it much louder than it already is.

·
Registered
923 Posts
NOOOOOO!!! the HMF is super free flowing. it kills the backpressure on these single cylinder engines and kill your low end torque. you put a HMF on and you'll think you lost 10hp on the low end. it makes more power in the upper RPMs but you lose a good bit of torque becasue of the loss of backpressure.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
research the exhaust mod...that would be a good step for you..otherwise if you would want to buy one...go with speedwerx

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I have the SW pipe and love it. I put the stocker back on for hunting and such. The SW isn't obnoxiously loud, but it's louder than I'd like for ice fishing especially (sound REALLY carries out on lakes and I don't wanna be "that guy")...even though souped up sleds are cruising around with loud exhausts as well. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
if u wana get a pipe get a speedwerks there not obnoxiously loud and they sound great. i love my pipe n it realy woke up my 500

1 - 20 of 21 Posts