Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll start with what it is 2005 artic cat 500 4x4 fis manual ....

So long story short was riding and atv started to back fire on decel through the the header pipe...

Checked and the pipe is toast rotted right through on the bend now I check everywhere for OEM pipe and they are u available ..... The closest ive found is this one for the same year and same cc but it's off the auto version am I screwed ? I need help badly

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
So I'll start with what it is 2005 artic cat 500 4x4 fis manual ....
So long story short was riding and atv started to back fire on decel through the the header pipe...
Checked and the pipe is toast rotted right through on the bend now I check everywhere for OEM pipe and they are u available ..... The closest ive found is this one for the same year and same cc but it's off the auto version am I screwed ? I need help badly
Well yes, you need help but not badly and its not big trouble.
Should be the same pipe... good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Checking the OEM parts look up at Country Cat and Rocky Mountain ATV it looks like your pipe is available for around $100 and is different between the Automatic and Manual version.

This is the pipe from the engine to the muffler.

Keith

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I mean I am in big trouble because as Keith pointed out auto pipe won't fit on manual machine so that screws me and I'll tell you why I checked all of eBay for the past 2 days and cannot find a pipe that matches my atv at all ...

And those pipes you see on RMA and country cat have been on back order for a very very long time so... I am in big trouble and I need some seriouse help lol because if I can't find a atv pipe my atv is useless all because they made 100 different exhaust pipes for all different years .. and no I. Not complaining about AC I'm just sayin what can I do now ?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Come on, if you got caught with a trannie hooker by your wife, but a header pipe failing, haha? Temporarily, you can probably wrap it tightly with exhaust wrap, then when one pops up on ebay, pounce. Also, a good exhaust shop can probably fabricate one for you out of 304 SS and it will last forever.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me I have been looking for awhile it started about last summer had a crack in the pipe so I put the high temp jb weld over the crack and wrapped it with the gold Titanium wrap and now the pipe is completely shot it's all rotted out and about 5 inches of the pipe is missing and has a big hole ... I think the wrapping it ruined it even more ... Anyway I've been on eBay for the last 11 months every. Couple weeks looking for this pipe and nothing that's why I'm posting here it's a pretty big deal imagine ur header got toasted and ur like oh ya no big deal then all the sudden come to find they don't even make this header anymore and eBay Amazon and various atv/online salvage yards don't have the pipe at all ither I've done my research before posting .... So can you give me a little more info on the fabricating a exhaust pipe ? Where would I call to ask just anyold muffler shop or should I be looking at fabricating shops I don't know .. and would this be expensive ? I wouldn't think since all that has to be done is pipe bending and a little weld here and there ... Any info on that would be a great help to my issue ... Cuz as of now I'm lost as of what's next these headers for the 500 manual shift are extinct

·
Super Moderator
4,506 Posts
I would look into a 500 Suzuki vinson and see if it used the same pipe. If that didn't work, I would go to my local muffler guy. Not a chainstore national brand place either the small local guy. Take the old with you and he should be able to bend something up that will work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fire cat .. thanks for the positive reply but no the Vinson pipes come out of the engine and go to the right while the arcticat pipe bends to the left side I looked into that already

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
@ 05ac, my appologiez. I've deleted my post to eliminate any ill will.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I live in a small town with maby 3 muffler shops if I'm lucky and I bet they dont even wanna fab nothing up. Chump..
Did you even call the maybe 3 muffler shops you have instead of "betting" they don't custom fab?

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Probably allot more fab shops within reason of you than just 3.. not going to know if they fab until you get in their and asks... Have you looked at the canadian salvage yards like partsnthings for a used one? or looked at other model years that may work my 2014 500 exits on the left... Lots of options out their...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I get it ur standing up for ur buddy you guys are long time posters but if you read up I did state I have already done the research ... Kijiji salvage yards... eBay ... Amazon ... Bent toys in Toronto.. just called the muffler shops they don't wanna touch it and I found a couple fab shops 45 mins away they can't help me ither

@ Alex g I deleted mine as well I'm not trying to be useless relying on you guys to solve my problems I'm at a dead end if some one can help me maby find a year that would be close to my pipe or something all I can do right now is keep calling shops further away ...

I apologize to anyone who feels disrespected for what I said but I just need help not people trying to make fun of me for asking for any ideas thanks . . .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I will say this to maby clear things up again the 500 manual shift has its own pipe I don't know if I can just take a auto 500 or 650h1 because they all have different bends in them if I was looking at say the 500 Vinson there's 200 pipes online for the Vinson that all fit mine is discontinued unfixable and there's no aftermarket or used replacements for my exact machine will a different pipe fit ? I don't know it might that's why I'm asking for help because some of the exhaust pipes bend around the frame differently going into the muffler .... Why would a 2005 500 cc bike have a discontinued exhaust pipe ... Dosent make sence to me

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
I think your best bet at this point is to find ANY pipe from a 500 Cat with the Suzuki motor in it and possibly the muffler to go along with it. Your pipe and muffler is 2005 only with muffler the same as an automatic. It'll be easier to get a pipe bent slightly to fit. The reason I'm saying you may need a muffler too is the way they join as they change that design too. Welding and fabricating mounts if need be is easy. Length will be close as long as you don't get one from a TRV.

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
The muffler on an auto in the same place as the manual? if so,I'd get a pipe from an auto and heat it, bend it or fab up the mounting location. I had an 05 500 and with factory jetting the pipe glowed red. hot enough to bend the pipe on its own and touch the carburetor causing all kinds of problems. My dealer found "take offs' from Cat and orderd it up saving me some cash. I rejetted and never had an issue again. The muffler and cylinder head are both in the same place auto or maual, the body panels are the same. I would gamble and make it work somehow. Get a uesd one from ebay and go for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARCTIC-CAT-500-OEM-EXHAUST-HEADER-PIPE-0512-021AA2/273432972059?epid=1930170899&hash=item3fa9e00b1b:g:LRMAAOSwcWpbh0A4&frcectupt=true

worth a try? for $60 ???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok this is the info I was trying to get thank you guys I'm not in anyway shape or form a fabricator I can rebuild almost any small engine 4 or 2 stroke from bottom up with ease but when it comes to bending pipes and etc I don't know how I'm only 26 I don't got alot of fab knowledge yet

As of shops that fabricate custom stuff I called about 13 within a 2 hour radius of me and I only found 1 willing to help BUT the smallest pipe he's willing to bend is inch and a half and my atv pipe is inch and a quarter lol I can't catch a break ... The peice of my pipe that attaches into the engine is inch and a half but then I won't be able to mount the pipe in because the mount fits on the skinny part and catches the inch and a half then bolts in ..... So I guess I'll have to buy a eBay look alike and try and make it fit

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again I am sorry to anyone I have offended I just don't like to made to look like a lazy dumb a** just because I lack the knowledge of metal work

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Again I am sorry to anyone I have offended I just don't like to made to look like a lazy dumb a** just because I lack the knowledge of metal work

None taken here! Remember, none of us are good at everything, but all of us are good at something.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone tell me what year and models the zuki engines are in from when to when and what size cc if anyone has that info

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
I am almost positive you can change the whole exhaust over to a newer year. 2006 and up all fit. The 05 was a year all by itself because of the way the muffler mounts to the header pipe.
You would need a header pipe and a muffler. A lot easier to find.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
10 Participants
05ac
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing