Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I been tooling around the snowmobiling websites for the last few days. Mostly because I'm trading in my 99 zr600efi for either an F8 or F1000. My local AC dealer is pushing me to get the F1000, but I've had my eye on the F8. I've been to the forums on HCS and some of the guys are talking about their F8 burning the side of the plastic on the exhaust side. I assume that Cat will replace it if I get the F8 and I have the same problem.

That being said, it seems that some are saying the F1000 is running very, very lean. I've never had a good experience with motors when they leaned up too much and melted in my face. My dilemma is that it seems that either way I go, I run the possibility of having to take my sled back in and have it fixed.

This is the first time in my life I've been able to afford to buy myself a brand new shiny sled. The dealer has sent pricing on both to my bank, all I have to do is go in and give a thumbs up on one or the other. I've got the itch, so I'm really having to restrain myself from just going in and saying, "hell with it, lets do it". I have a trip with buddies planned for the 28th of this month, and am really looking forward to being able to pull off a nice new sled. So my questions are.....

Is it a good idea to just go ahead and do it, and fight through any problems? Or, should I try to get another year out of my little 600, wait to see if these problems are isolated, and buy a new one either later this spring or late next year?

I'd appreciate it if someone with a few hundred miles on their new sled could give me some advice.

Thanks,

Burner

·
Registered
142 Posts
Guy..... just get the f1000 if its too much just let up on the throttle alittle...............its a no brainer
who you kidding??????yourself? LOL just my 2 :devil_angry:

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I were you, I would get the F8. After spending a bit of time on forums and reading snowmobile mags, It seems like the F8 is the best mil for the chassis. It seems to me that there has been a lot less problems with the 8 then the 1000.(ie. seizures, coolant issues)I know the 1000 is the big gun and pretty tempting, but you could save yourself some $$ buying an 8 and later on the year or early next year all the speed shops will have mods out the wazu and by then they will be fully tested. It's up to you. No mods, slight mods, or all crazy mods for some serious extra hp. I bought the F6 SP and I love it. The mil has been around for a while now and that's part of the reason I chose it. It has had lots of time for feedback and adjustments from AC. I wouldn't worry about the chassis. It is light years ahead of any cat to date. Sure it has some minor fit and finish issues(ie, hood not going tight to headlights) that could be recalled and fixed anyway. It really does not bother me that much. If that's all the problems that pop up, it would be great. The twin spar is solid and the ride is awesome. When it comes to the engine, it does not matter who makes it and what size it is, any new mil is going to have issues. Be it small or large. I read an article somewhere. It was a Q&A between readers and AC. One of the things that come up was the research and testing that went into the 8 and 1000. Apparently they really did some serious and extensive testing on these for the past 3 years. In the end it's all up to you. I would do some serious research and take a little time to think it over. Once you buy it, you got it. We all know how sleds depreciate in the first couple of years. Sorry about the long post, just wanted to let you know what I know.

Just my .02$ worth, hope it helps.

Norternstar

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I was eyeing the F6 myself, mostly since it was a known motor. I held off on it because of the poor winter. I've since started looking seriously at the 800 . Not sure how the winter is where you live, but my thoughts are on waiting for the 08 releases, see what changes/updates, upgrades are on them, and the see what the prices are looking to be on the "leftover" 07's. Prices are dropping quickly around here on the current inventory, so they can only go lower (in my opinion)......
The litre motor is sweet, but more than I'd ever want for myself...and more insurance expense too....

·
Registered
86 Posts
IMO..... You have to decide what you want the sled for more trail riding or do you want to lake race I bought a F8 sno pro I wanted a trail sled I think the 1000 would be a great trail sled but I did not want to pay the extra insurance I think a F6 sno pro would be a great trail sled but I weigh 260 lbs I wanted a little more power to haul my big ass around...... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Regarding running lean,

I was reading an article in the Supertrax Magazine and it explains the following quoted directly.

"What if you combined a knock sensor with throttle body injection? This is exactly what Arctic Cat has implemented this year with its new 800 2-stroke twin. By utilizing a detonation sensor and its ability to control exhaust temperature by retarding timing, Arctic Cat has been able to electronically "screw down" the fuel injectors to their leanest possible settings."............
..............."Cat's current EFI II upgrades its other EFI system that uses a pipe temperature sensor in lieu of a knock sensor. This system is still in use on the new 1000 and 600 twins used in the Crossfire and F-Series. With the Pipe sensor EFI, when exhaust temperature exceeds a certain specified level programmed into the ECU maps, it retards the timing, cooling things down. However, the new systems's (800) knock sensor provides potential for much leaner settings and a much quicker response to chance of a burn down."

If I were to trust this source of information I would feel more confidence in the accuracy and immediate response of the knock sensor the 800 has over the exhaust temperature.

Just found this to be interesting info and it shouldn't change your decision. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it were me I would wait til next year to get a new sled, with the way the season is going you will take a big hit for a short time. bang your head Just buy a good used sled (lots of left over new non cuurent one's) also, that way the sled will have taken the hit already and you will be able to test ride the sleds and decide thatway for next year. :thumbsup:

G

·
If I were to bite the bullet and buy I would go with the 600 Will do over 100 and is lighter and cheaper and much less painful on the pocket book when it come to insuring. Best overall sled for trail/ ditch riding you can buy this year. In either sno pro or standard form, plus I think they just plain old look mean!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would wait until the '08 model year, that way Cat has most or all of the bugs worked out from the '07 F series sleds.

But if your still itching badly enough, I'd go for the 800 SP, it is more trail friendly and still has good top end, or a left over '06 F7 EFI Sno Pro would be surfice.

When the Firecats first came out in 2003, I spring ordered a F7 SP, but cancelled the order to wait until the firecat's were pretty much solid. Glad I did, now I got 2 Firecats, a '05 F7 EFI SP T/A spring order)and the '06 F6 EFI SP in orange.

Happy trails from Cambridge Bay, Nunavut

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it. I went down to my dealer and talked to him for a bit an hour or so ago, and I think I'm going to get the 1000. I've dealt with him a bit and I trust that any problems that I could have would be taken care of. The only one he has in stock is a black, and we're going to switch all the pieces that we can to green. Wheels, hood, seat, springs, and rear compartment are all being changed to green, and green style stickers.

The only difference I could see is that the plastic around the tach and under the windshield would be black instead of green. I may be able to have it by Monday, and if I do I'll post some pics.

Thanks again for the replies, hope to see you on the trails someplace. :)

Burner

·
Registered
22 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Barnburner @ Jan 11 2007, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey guys, I been tooling around the snowmobiling websites for the last few days. Mostly because I'm trading in my 99 zr600efi for either an F8 or F1000. My local AC dealer is pushing me to get the F1000, but I've had my eye on the F8. I've been to the forums on HCS and some of the guys are talking about their F8 burning the side of the plastic on the exhaust side. I assume that Cat will replace it if I get the F8 and I have the same problem.

That being said, it seems that some are saying the F1000 is running very, very lean. I've never had a good experience with motors when they leaned up too much and melted in my face. My dilemma is that it seems that either way I go, I run the possibility of having to take my sled back in and have it fixed.

This is the first time in my life I've been able to afford to buy myself a brand new shiny sled. The dealer has sent pricing on both to my bank, all I have to do is go in and give a thumbs up on one or the other. I've got the itch, so I'm really having to restrain myself from just going in and saying, "hell with it, lets do it". I have a trip with buddies planned for the 28th of this month, and am really looking forward to being able to pull off a nice new sled. So my questions are.....

Is it a good idea to just go ahead and do it, and fight through any problems? Or, should I try to get another year out of my little 600, wait to see if these problems are isolated, and buy a new one either later this spring or late next year?

I'd appreciate it if someone with a few hundred miles on their new sled could give me some advice.

Thanks,

Burner[/b]

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
hey guy i might give you a little info on the 07 f1000 s/p that i bought, i have 150 miles on mine now and i have to say mine is flawless and have had not one problem and as far as all these guys having problems are mostly coming from putting add ons and they don,t know enough about the motors this comes from me a professional drag racer that if you put more air to any motor you have to put more fuel to it or lean it out and burn it so just leave it alone for the year and let them figure it all out at their cost, and trust me, it is plenty fast enough and if you want to race or trail ride, that is 2 different things and they do not go together and asfar as the cowl plastic burning it might be the just the black ones because i have a green one and i have not one mark on mine or maybe they are riding in deeper snow than me, the only thing you have to make sure of is to make sure that the cooling level is right and that the dealer you go to will make sure that it is and i,m sure that know how to make sure it is because you have to put the sled on the side and run it like for a few mins and then the other side and do not start and take off before the sled is warmed up,and you really need a small light and put it right up to the cooling holding tank to check the coolant level and take the time to take off the pod of to fill it where it belongs because they come low and thats wrong and thats what the real problem is with the sleds blowing up if they are stock. i can say this, its a animal of a sled and handles like no other and get this mpg,s over 140 miles to tank of gas, how is that for a 1000 cc sled i know i hade a 2000 zrt800 then a 04 f7 and i thought that was and this is bigger and better and better on gas catf1000s/p here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, just picked up my new 1000 a few hours ago! Man, I can't believe how much it vibrates while sitting at idle. As I add some rpms it smoothes out though. Planning on going through it from top to bottom to check for any problems tomorrow. I'll post a few pics tomorrow when I can. We're heading to Munising, MI on the 28th, I guess we'll see if it was worth 10 large. :)

Later

Burner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts