Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 arctic cat 400m. It just recently started blowing ignition fuses. I spent two hours checking the harness and the fuses and found nothing. I figured out if i put a bigger fuse in it it will run for awhile but eventually blow it. Anyone have any ideas??:huh:
When the fuse blows I lose everything, display, engine, all of it. So I dont know where to start and I really don't want to take it to the local dealer. He is a rip off.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Would you happen to have handwarmers on your machine? or anything hooked up to the front accessory plug for that matter?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 500. I found wires under my pod that were worn. Right where they come up the steering column.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unless you added an accessory then you have an issue with something. Is there a particular time when the fuse will blow or is it random?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:s

I don't have anything on it. Its stock, I'll check the steering coulum and get back to you guys. Also the 4wd front gearbox just started switching in and out of 4wd when i switch it to 2wd. Its like it doesn't wanna stay in 2wd. Got any thoughts on this? Also, the fuse blows a few seconds after I start it. If I put a bigger fuse in it and it will take even longer to blow but it still blows.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Check the wiring harness as suggested along the steering column. Try turning your handlebars to the right and see if the fuse blows. If it does, try turning them to the left. Then just centered up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't have anything on it. Its stock, I'll check the steering coulum and get back to you guys. Also the 4wd front gearbox just started switching in and out of 4wd when i switch it to 2wd. Its like it doesn't wanna stay in 2wd. Got any thoughts on this? Also, the fuse blows a few seconds after I start it. If I put a bigger fuse in it and it will take even longer to blow but it still blows.
That at least tells us something. When the fuse blows are the lights on or something else?

Don't put a bigger fuse in the circuit. The insulation has a heat rating. By extending the length of time the fuse blows you may start damaging the insulation of that conductor and possibly other conductors in the loom.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
on my 06 400m my tail light was broke, well the bulb was and it was hanging down touching my rear bumper causing it to short out and blow my fuses

·
Administrator
35,838 Posts
That at least tells us something. When the fuse blows are the lights on or something else?

Don't put a bigger fuse in the circuit. The insulation has a heat rating. By extending the length of time the fuse blows you may start damaging the insulation of that conductor and possibly other conductors in the loom.
x2 don't put in larger fuse..worst case you could have a fire

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, I checked the harness and nothing is wrong with it. Out of curiosity I unplugged the gearbox in the front because it was making those noises when in 2wd. When I do that the ignition fuse stops blowing. It runs fine without the gearbox plugged in. So does this mean that there is a short in the box, and I need a new one?

This atv is constantly in and out of a creek as well. I think this isnt helping my problem. Also the problem with the gearbox startted happening when I was towing a tractor tire to the house. I was in 4wd and in low. I didn't go over 5mph though because I would start to slip. Did that put to much strain on the gearbox?

·
Registered
45 Posts
if the problem stoped after you un pluged the front diff sounds like you have a short in the solinoid, i had the same problem last year and i pulled my hair out to find the problem and found the bottom of the fuse block was saturated with water blew it all out no more problem with fuses

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The front diff case was full of water lol. Two of the gears were melted together forcing it to stay in 4wd. The gears part number is 0502-579, can I get just that gear or do I need to buy a whole new diff box?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The front diff case was full of water lol. Two of the gears were melted together forcing it to stay in 4wd. The gears part number is 0502-579, can I get just that gear or do I need to buy a whole new diff box?
The part number listed is for the auctuator. Was the diff case full of water or the auctuator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had the same problem with my 2007 AC 500 with the ignition fuse, i finaly ripped into the harness and found that the red/org wire off the solinoid was shorting out where the harness wraps around the fame right by the rear clutch vent going to the fuse box. but pull out the gas tank everythings alot easier to see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an 04 400fis... im goin through the same problem. mine will run for a couple hours then randomly blow the ignition fuse... my 4wd and everything works. Its only got 400 miles on it. I took all the plugs on the entire machine apart and put dielectric grease on them tonight including all the fuses in the fuse block... im hoping this will help it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We checked the harness. That was the first thing we looked at because we had the frame cutting issue with my AC 400 auto. It blew the ecu and fried the harness lol. I'm just going to have to get a new accuator. I need to get the grease out of the gearbox though because it has some water in it. Is there a drain plug or do I have to pull the shafts and all that?

·
Administrator
35,838 Posts
We checked the harness. That was the first thing we looked at because we had the frame cutting issue with my AC 400 auto. It blew the ecu and fried the harness lol. I'm just going to have to get a new accuator. I need to get the grease out of the gearbox though because it has some water in it. Is there a drain plug or do I have to pull the shafts and all that?
It has a drain plug.It is easier and cleaner if you take the first 4 bolts out of the skid plate.go here and get yourself a free downloadable manual. K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drained and refilled the case with grease. Still havent got the accuator yet but I will.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts