Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what my ignition coil should ohm out at? I tried each wire separately and i got 0 ohms but when i put them in the coil and try them i get 16k ohms is that right? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Mike, its a 98 zr 600 efi. I'm chasing a problem with this sled. It won't rev over 4800 rpm and it backfires like crazy if you hold the throttle open. It starts fine and will idle fine but just won't rev up. The stator was bad so i replaced that with a known good one, no change. the tss is disconnected, no change. The fuel pump is pushing about 40 psi and lots of volume. I fiddled with the tps and the best i could get is 960 ohms at idle and 4180 ohms at wot.
The spark plugs are new br9es. thet appear slightly oily but the center porcelin is staying white. There no codes flashing on the ecu. I've checked just about everything i could check on this machine and can't seem to find the culprit. Do you have any input on this?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Sorry Mike, its a 98 zr 600 efi. I'm chasing a problem with this sled. It won't rev over 4800 rpm and it backfires like crazy if you hold the throttle open. It starts fine and will idle fine but just won't rev up. The stator was bad so i replaced that with a known good one, no change. the tss is disconnected, no change. The fuel pump is pushing about 40 psi and lots of volume. I fiddled with the tps and the best i could get is 960 ohms at idle and 4180 ohms at wot.
The spark plugs are new br9es. thet appear slightly oily but the center porcelin is staying white. There no codes flashing on the ecu. I've checked just about everything i could check on this machine and can't seem to find the culprit. Do you have any input on this?
Check the primary side of the coil for .3 ohms. Test the stator again. After that you may have to pull the y-pipe and look for a broken piston skirt. You may not see low compression with a broken skirt.Check the ignition timing sensor for resistance also. it should be about 190. you can also unplug the main harness at the stator and try it. a bad ignition switch will cause gremlins also. are all your grounds good? The ecu ground and the rewind housing to the main frame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
f by the primary side you mean the wires coming out of the ecu then i have 0 ohms there. When i bench tested this stator i had readings of 45 and 457. On a slightly warm motor i have 48 and 483. The skirts are good as are the reeds. The motor has 120psi compression on both cylinders. The timing sensor has 99 ohms. any ideas would be a big help. Thanks

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
On the input side of the coil there are the 2 small wires that hook to the ecu. Those are what you should test for the .3 ohms. I am not certain, but I am guessing your issue is the timing sensor. that should read 190 and you are 99.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mean to start a forum war but is the pick up stator supposed to be 190 ohms or 190 ohms? Blaine, the stator came off of a good running sled that blew up. but I don't think its an oem stator, as it has green epoxy on the ends of all the coils. Would that explain the slightly high readings on the low speed coil? Thanks for all your help guys, I'd be in the dark if it wasn't for this forum and all your help.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I don't mean to start a forum war but is the pick up stator supposed to be 190 ohms or 190 ohms? Blaine, the stator came off of a good running sled that blew up. but I don't think its an oem stator, as it has green epoxy on the ends of all the coils. Would that explain the slightly high readings on the low speed coil? Thanks for all your help guys, I'd be in the dark if it wasn't for this forum and all your help.
Start a foum war...it is Sunday and eveyrone is bored. General rule of thumb is the triple triggers were 175 ohms and the twins were 90. The twins are listed at 190 ohms in the manual but the manual is wrong. You have a rewound stator...whether it is a complete aftermarket unit or just the ignition coils were rewound I don't know. Either way...the ignition coils are bad on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Aaarrrggghhhh. I just spent 200 bucks on this thing. I bought it from a local salvage yard. I never asked if he will stand behind it. He will be closed until tuesday and its snowing out right now. So my trigger coil reads 99 ohms, then i can rule that out as a problem right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i went and rechecked my numbers on replacement stator and for some reason the numbers have changed, same shop, same temp. When i first checked i had 45 and 463, then i double checked and i had 486 and 11??? So i figured something is odd here so i popped the flywheel off and visually inspected the stator and found that one of the ignition coils is slightly loose in the holder! can this cause odd and inconsistant readings? Can this coil be tightend up in any way? Am i beating a dead horse? Maybe i'm just in denial but this stator had perfect readings on the bench and sketchy readings on the sled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts