Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not whining. But I feel compeled to express my feelings about my new 13g machine. I will try to stay away from emotion and stick to the facts.
I have a M1000 with 300 miles on it. I have never ridden it for a full day without it backfireing like a shotgun. Dieing completly on a pull. Missing, hesatating.
It started doing it on my second ride, or 5 hrs on the guage.
I took it to my dealer. After 10 days I get a call from my man. He tells me my c.c.u. is defective. His words are"we repaced it, your machine is FIXED, come get it and ride, we went ahead and did the 10 hr checkup as well".
I picked it up and went for my local mecca. It was 3 feet of supreme Cascade gagger. The machine did awsome for 4 hrs, then started dieing again. Turned it around pointing downhill and it started right up and I headed for the truck. Thought it might be low on gas because the guage was low.
I went home and put gas in it. It started up and ran fine. No problems. So I did what anyone would do. I went sledding.
4 miles from the truck on the groomer. Full tank of gas. Starts hesetating again. Cleans out and we start going again. Dies up at 6,000 ft. no ryme or reason. No warning lights. Nothing.
So I sit there in a meadow in 3 more feet on powder, sun is out and I watch my friends ride. About every half an hour I get to go do about 10 minutes of riding before it starts doing it again. Twards the end of the day it starts flashing a t.p.s. sensor blink. So I go home. It never blinks again. I checked the plug and it was plugged in. However, there was a little water in it so I dried it out and put it back together.
Started machine and ran many times at home that day. Never skipped a beat.
Took it up next day, ran perfect for about an hour, cut out and died on a pull.
Brought it to the dealer. It runs fine in the shop. They don't know what is wrong with it. They finally got the tool to pull up the history and it has a short in it. But they can't duplicate it in the shop so they need to take it up to the hill to try and get it to do it. Should not be too hard i.m.o.
Meanwhile I sit at home, no machine, no money, 1 foot of fresh and sunny today. I feel I have the right to be upset. Cat got their money because I paid in full. I have insurance. I feel I should not be sidelined all season long until someone can get it right. I paid for pull and go. I got a lemon. I want a new machine or my money back! The biggest insult is that my friend has the exact same sled, from a different dealer. His has not skipped a beat, and he has been with me for every mile. Anyone here have a suggestion? What do I do? If I bought a 13g KIA and it started dieing in the first 100 miles. If they could not figure it out. They would replace my car. They would not make me sit at home. I can't believe this is what you get when you buy the flagship. Someone please tell me what you think because I have never bought anything new in my life. I feel like I am not getting what I paid for. :( Which was a brand new vehicle which will not run which no one can fix at this time. :(
My heart is broken right now as I sit at home with nothing. Should'nt I get the new, reliable mountain machine I paid for? All I want is my day in the sun and at best all I have gotton is a few hours. ???

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feel your pain dude,,, When I got my new F7 in o5 I spent the first 3 months chasing a simular fault, My dealer was new to Cat and did not even have books yet, I had to order the books and thankfully have more technical diagnostic experience than the cowboys they had available.
The Tps sensor of 05 will only trigger a fault if it looses reffernce voltage or ground ( I am not sure of the 1000) , my machine had one pin in the deutz connector that was over crimped in the factory and this damaged the small lock tabs in the plug to retailn the wire , if you pull on the wire it feels ok but the wires are fairly stiff in the insulator boots. WhenI would plug it back together it would run fine until the right G force from a bump or raven crossing in front of the sun would cause it again.

I was one Match away from lighting her up on Xistmas eve when I found it...... :super_happy:

Yes I shared that with my dealer in hopes of saving some one else the anguish I suffered. Along with all the loose bolts etc... Old news.

Hope this helps, See ya in the hills.

The Anzac Ditch Pickles.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the dealer can't find what the problem is they should be lending you a sled to use while they figure it out. At least you could be out riding instead of counting the snowflakes falling. Isn't that how it works when you can't go, it always is great snow and you have to hear about it second hand, SUCKS! Your dealer should be hooking you up with something to ride, especially if you dropped all cash. Did they really have it for 10 days before they called you about it?

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
This is not about the factory. This is about the dealer.

The factory has a system setup to help customers for all their needs... Their dealer network.

So the quality of service you get is 98% dealer not factory. The details of (quality) service is covered in the warranty fineprint, and the conditions of the warranty is written by the manufacturer. This protects the manufacturer too because they get to call the shots.

You'll often hear how some dealers are just terrible or excellent. Cat dealerships are run by people and you know how that goes... Personal performance quality from person to person is a huge variable. So quality of dealership service is going to vary a lot too. It's just the nature of people.

It might not be a lemon, it's probably just one defective/faulty part. As soon as it's isolated & repaired, your sled will be fine. So it really isn't a lemon.

Have you asked your dealer if he can help you out with a loaner sled?

Sometimes dealers have enough sleds in the trade-in/used lot, so it's easier for them to help with a loaner. And sometimes dealers don't have much at all to offer as a loaner so even if if your dealer wanted to, maybe he can't.

Under the warranty agreement you agree to when you purchased the sled, I don't think the dealer has to bear the cost of a loaner sled anyway. So if he did, it's because he's a caring dealer.

:chug:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keweenaw @ Jan 21 2007, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If the dealer can't find what the problem is they should be lending you a sled to use while they figure it out. At least you could be out riding instead of counting the snowflakes falling. Isn't that how it works when you can't go, it always is great snow and you have to hear about it second hand, SUCKS! Your dealer should be hooking you up with something to ride, especially if you dropped all cash. Did they really have it for 10 days before they called you about it?[/b]
They had the sled for 10 days to diagnose the faulty c.c.u. problem. However, I did talk to them on a daily basis. The problem was they had no books or tools to diagnose it. So they spent a lot of time on the phone with cat. Meanwhile it snowed 4 feet! In my opinion, you should not release products that you don't have service books/ tools for. Whats the tech spose to do with no book,Wireing diagram, or tool to recall memory?
A/C- I think its something simple too! But if they can't figure it out, they should give me what I paid for. Not a shotgun with skis! I have a 13g shotgun guys! L.O.L.!
You guys are absolutly right, I feel I should have a loaner. I bought the flagship! Thanks for all constructive input.This is why I have not posted this on Dramawest. Crossing fingers and spending some time on the phone tomorrow. I wanna stand on top of a mountain again.... Joe bang your head

·
Registered
324 Posts
previous planning prevents piss poor performance!!!! can never believe how poor snowmobile companys are at their business. not enough parts to even finish thier production runs, let alone spare parts for the the broken ones. this is no ones fault but there own, if thier suppliers can't meet thier production needs then guess what you need to get better suppliers! what other kind of manufacturer puts out a product that you cannot get replacement parts for months if not longer? i think the are in desperate need of some kind of regulation. they put out tons, and i do mean TONS, of sleds with all kinds of problems. tired of hearing excuses for the poor quality and research sled companys are doing these days. seems like they are more concered with hyping the new year sled and taking your cash than actually trying to live up to what they have promissed you. they really make it hard to want to purchase another one of thier new products. i buy a new sled every 3-4 years and after what i got this year am hoping yamaha has got the weight down and a little more power by the time i'm ready for another one. they seem to be the only sled company that pleases most of thier customers. i'm sure its because they are a much better organized company that has much more experience in what it takes to produce a product that is reliable, not just a money maker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (89sandman @ Jan 22 2007, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
previous planning prevents piss poor performance!!!! can never believe how poor snowmobile companys are at their business. not enough parts to even finish thier production runs, let alone spare parts for the the broken ones. this is no ones fault but there own, if thier suppliers can't meet thier production needs then guess what you need to get better suppliers! what other kind of manufacturer puts out a product that you cannot get replacement parts for months if not longer? i think the are in desperate need of some kind of regulation. they put out tons, and i do mean TONS, of sleds with all kinds of problems. tired of hearing excuses for the poor quality and research sled companys are doing these days. seems like they are more concered with hyping the new year sled and taking your cash than actually trying to live up to what they have promissed you. they really make it hard to want to purchase another one of thier new products. i buy a new sled every 3-4 years and after what i got this year am hoping yamaha has got the weight down and a little more power by the time i'm ready for another one. they seem to be the only sled company that pleases most of thier customers. i'm sure its because they are a much better organized company that has much more experience in what it takes to produce a product that is reliable, not just a money maker.[/b]
Much as I hate to say it I have to agree with you on the parts issue. One dealer I know of recieved a dozen M8 & M1000s this year with no secondarys. Nice. They had the machines sold, we had 5' of snow at the time but the customers had to wait for their clutches, some as long as two weeks. Not to mention the weeks customers had to wait for altitude kits for their sleds. Some guys took them and rode them anyway, Cat told the dealer there would be no warranty if they blew up with the factory kits in them. All thats in the kit are weights and a helix so there shouldnt have been any reason for the delay in recieving the kits....but there was. I dont remember the exact amount of time it was but I know it was more than a two week wait. The delays cost them more than a few sales, several people bought 'doo this year 'cause they had them sitting on the floor...with secondarys and altitude kits already installed. So poor planning not only costs the dealers, it's costing Cat too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a friend that was haveing alot af trouble with his M1000 But his dealer Found that when cat put the motor in it they cut the plug wires. and the cencer in the pipe was bad it was making the timeing advance so you might check those to things . it also might be a fuel pump check the fuel pressure i know it sucks that it dont run but it sounds like its some thing simple

·
Registered
132 Posts
The first thing I would look for is a melted wire, look in the obvious areas, pull the exhaust can and look under the motor for any evidence of melting. Look under the tunnel where the headlight wires are exposed. When the system shorts on a wire, it will shut the sled down like you described, and time the ECU out and the motor won't start back up for a set period of time.
If it can't be diagnosed within a proper timeframe, I'd be on the phone with the dealer, tell him you'll be there when they open in the morning to pick up a sled that works. Call BBB, not on AC, but the dealership where you purchased. They can be very helpful in situations such as these.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well if my new machine was croaking every time i went riding i would be taking my ohm meter with me the next ride and be doing some checks the minute it dies,if its in the primary or sec ignition it would show up,and with the dealer having not finding anything by the time it cools out that woukd be all the more reason to check into some things yourself.The dealer never assembled your machine and you arent going to get your money back or a new machine so grab the bull by the horns and try to help in finding the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (900geek @ Jan 24 2007, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well if my new machine was croaking every time i went riding i would be taking my ohm meter with me the next ride and be doing some checks the minute it dies,if its in the primary or sec ignition it would show up,and with the dealer having not finding anything by the time it cools out that woukd be all the more reason to check into some things yourself.The dealer never assembled your machine and you arent going to get your money back or a new machine so grab the bull by the horns and try to help in finding the problem.[/b]
I did not pay 13g so I could pack a fu^%$n ohm meter around with only a few hours out of the box. Your about as helpful as getting a snaping turtle in the middle of a pull! I know its not the dealers fault, I also am aware that they did not build it. But I have a empty bank account and nothing to show for it! I am not an idiot. I did check many things and spent many hours looking for anything. But I am also a humble enough man to know when something is beyond my knowledge level at this time.
UPDATE: still don't have sh%t! Come on Cat! Give me what I paid for! You should throw in the shop manual for my inconvience. By the looks of things, I will probably need it. bang your head

·
Registered
199 Posts
If and when you believe your dealer isnt doing his very best then its time to not rely on him anymore,Ive been in your situation before and when the future starts looking like the past its time to start talking to someone else,I used to phone right to arctic cat and talk to the head of the warranty department,this usually gets things happening that wouldnt otherwise

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update! Problem solved! The check valves in the tank were sticking closed. This thing rocks now!!! Rode for 9 hours taped the whole time and no problems.
Thanks to Steel Dreams in Mt. Vernon Wa. for taking care of me. These folks are solid! Real good to deal with for warranty stuff. Also thanks Arctic Cat! Thanks 900geek and dmkhnr! Good advice talking directly to cat. This really got things moving. See you on the Mountain! :super_happy: Kosovo

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kosovojoe @ Feb 6 2007, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Update! Problem solved! The check valves in the tank were sticking closed. This thing rocks now!!! Rode for 9 hours taped the whole time and no problems.
Thanks to Steel Dreams in Mt. Vernon Wa. for taking care of me. These folks are solid! Real good to deal with for warranty stuff. Also thanks Arctic Cat! Thanks 900geek and dmkhnr! Good advice talking directly to cat. This really got things moving. See you on the Mountain! :super_happy: Kosovo[/b]
Glad it worked out for you! :chug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts