Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a loud rumbling noise yesterday comming from the tunnel. Melted all the snow and ice out of it and noticed the two idler wheels in the middle were shot. Rubber broke off...after further inspection of the other 4 wheels the rubber is all cracked so i have ordered 6 new ones. My question is this common? Sled had 3800 miles on it and is studded. Dealer studded it and there are studs right where the idler wheels ride in the track. Could this be the cause or does anyone think they were just at the end of there life?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an 05 ZR 900 unstudded. I've grenaded a few idler wheels so far also. I just smile and change them as needed.......... Seems to be a common problem.........

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't believe you got 3800 miles on em before they went......I only got around 1500 miles on my F-5 and around 1700 miles on the F-7 before they were toast. Yes it is a common problem if your studded....

·
Registered
788 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayno @ Mar 19 2007, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can't believe you got 3800 miles on em before they went......I only got around 1500 miles on my F-5 and around 1700 miles on the F-7 before they were toast. Yes it is a common problem if your studded....[/b]
Yup...I go through about a set a season...but here in the LP of MI I ride in a lot of garbage (low snow). Its a very common problem...do search for Idler wheels in the Firecat forum....

·
Registered
331 Posts
wheels are junk. get used to replacing them at $25 a pop. Its ridiculous. They had a deal on some leftover wheels that cross-referenced right but they sold out already. The new f-series sleds only have 2 wheels in the middle so I am wondering if they are really necessary.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input....went to both dealers in my aera and they are on backorder..WTF?????? how do you run out of wheels during snowmobile season... Like McDonalds being totally out of hamburgers and fries!!!....anyway ordered new ones on line hopefully they come in before the snow is gone..other wise get time to get the summer toy ready

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jeez - AC with parts on back order.....go figure....actually hte idlers are just a ****ty design, I would tear up a couple of them asphalt racing...no studs required to wreck them. They need to go back to the older design which was better than the current one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
From the advice of others on here and the dealers, they say its due to studs, I got about 500 miles on my first two sets the bottom middle two, this last set, I went thru and tightened down all my studs got another turn or more on all of them. put on another 1000 miles on the new ones with no show of wear. I did order 6 close out ones at $6 a piece, they are purple and look a bit better, but haven't put them on yet. I will wait until these go to hell. I had started a thread on this about a month ago, and the one guy gave me the advice and the part number,

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...50&hl=gruff

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Like Gruff, I ordered 10 of the purple ones. Can skuff the purple and paint black if need be. The bearing is worth $10.00 alone.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I ran that part number for the close-out deal about a week after I saw that post and my dealer said they were already sold out. I guess ya snooze ya loose.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bearing brand makes no diff. I have run expensive ones next to cheap ones and they all fail around the same time. Every pre season check em and if you have any ones that turn the leat bit rough pop the wheels off remove the clip and replace the bearings before the wheel gets destroyed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.